[SPOTLIGHT] 01/30/06 AWN Spotlight Newsletter

  • Sandeep Gupta
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2006
      Arena Multimedia...the place to be..

                              T H E  A W N  S P O T L I G H T

          YOUR WEEKLY GUIDE TO ANIMATION WORLD NETWORK AND AFFILIATE PUBLICATIONS

                                  Monday, January 30, 2006

                                     http://www.awn.com

      1.  S P E C I A L  A N N O U N C E M E N T S

      * Attend GDC:06 & Get a First-Hand Glimpse of What's Next
      * A New Class Of Workstation
      * WonderCon To Celebrate 20th Anniversary

      2.  A W N  H E A D L I N E  N E W S  I N  B R I E F

      3.  S I T E  A N D  A F F I L I A T E  N E W S

      * This Week At Animation World Magazine.
      * VFXWORLD Feature Articles This Week.
      * Massive Update to the Theatrical Release Database
      * WIA/LA Groundhog Day Goal-Setting Program
      * Send Us Your Toy Fair News!
      * It's Time To Get Involved With AWN's MIP-TV Special Newsletters!
      * Don't Miss Out On Getting Into Animation World Magazine & VFXWorld!
      * This Week's Animation Trivia Quiz
      * Job Opportunities For Animators, Directors, Writers, Instructors And More.
      * AWN's Discussion Forums - What's New?
      * New Additions To AWN's Calendar Of Events.

      4.  U P C O M I N G  E V E N T S  I N  A N I M A T I O N

      AWN is offering FREE one-year subscriptions to the ANIMATION FLASH for all
      qualified applicants! The ANIMATION FLASH keeps readers informed and
      up-to-date
      on the latest animation industry news from around the world. Apply for your
      FREE one-year subscription today! It will only take you a minute to fill out
      the online application form at:
      --> http://news.awn.com/flashsub228

      1.  S P E C I A L  A N N O U N C E M E N T S

      * ATTEND GDC:06 & GET A FIRST-HAND GLIMPSE OF WHAT'S NEXT
      From March 20-24, 2006, the Game Developers Conference
      (http://www.gdconf.com)
      will return to San Jose Ð the place where it developed into the annual
      networking and educational must-attend experience that it is today. The
      event
      will focus on next-gen game development, and how it will revolutionize every
      aspect of the gaming industry. From increased production complexity, team
      sizes, and budgets to new ways to reach the mass market, GDC:06 will answer
      the
      questions critical to the industry's success.

      Register online by Feb. 15, 2006, and save up to 35% on GDC:06 Conference
      Passes.
      --> http://www.gdconf.com/register

      * A NEW CLASS OF WORKSTATION
      With an extraordinary four dual-core Opteron processor architecture, APEXX 4
      gives the freedom to smoothly work in realtime on very complex effects and
      the
      power to render computer-generated scenes in record time. As a true 64-bit
      personal workstation with as much as 64GB of memory, APEXX 4 boosts the
      efficiency of artists working on the large CG scenes and realistic digital
      characters that constitute much of the attraction of today's most popular
      motion pictures, animated features, broadcast television shows and online
      videos.

      BOXX's APEXX 4 inaugurates the era of the super-high performance workstation
      designed for cutting-edge digital content creation and based on the
      innovative
      integration of non-proprietary PC technologies. As such, it offers many
      times
      the performance of the proprietary UNIX workstations of old at a much more
      affordable price. The unique combination of modeling and rendering power
      opens
      new creative possibilities for all creators of digital media.
      --> http://www.boxxtech.com/apexx4

      * WONDERCON TO CELEBRATE 20TH ANNIVERSARY
      WonderCon, the bay area's largest comicbook and pop culture extravaganza,
      will
      celebrate its 20th anniversary Feb. 10-12, 2006. Located at the beautiful
      Moscone West building, the show brings together professionals and fans of
      all
      things pop culture.

      WonderCon's 20th year is already off to a great start, with several of the
      special guests already lined up, including writer Peter David, Hellboy
      creator
      Mike Mignola, indy comics giant Terry Moore, the ever-lovin' Sergio Aragones
      and legendary Silver Age artist Ramona Fradon. And, just confirmed, Laura
      Allred, Mike Allred, Grant Morrison, Eric Powell, Chris Bachalo, Frank Cho
      and
      Gahan Wilson have just been added to the guest list, with many more to come.

      Continuing on last year's success, we've planned more programming to
      spotlight
      the special guests, an expanded slate of fantastic companies in the Exhibit
      Hall, separate Japanese animation and gaming rooms and special nighttime
      programs that are pure genius.

      Hollywood took notice of WonderCon last year, and several stars made
      exclusive
      appearances at the show. This year is no different, as we have already
      started
      talks with all the major Hollywood studios. It's looking like the 20th
      anniversary will be a show not to miss.

      For up to date information about WonderCon, please visit
      http://www.comic-con.org or email us at cci-info@... and write
      "WonderCon" in the subject area.

      2.  A W N  H E A D L I N E  N E W S  I N  B R I E F

      Here is a selection of the top stories currently covered in AWN's Headline
      News.

      * Awards
      Miami 85 Toon Wins MoTV Award at NATPE Mobile ++
      AtomFilms Announce Winners of Intel Indies Film Contest
      Wallace & Gromit Wins PGA Award
      --> http://awn.com/spotlight/news.php3?item=Awards

      * Books
      Warcraft Manga Second Volume Released
      Family Guy Comic Mini-Series Coming
      --> http://awn.com/spotlight/news.php3?item=Books

      * Business
      New Disney Toon Committee Features Three From Pixar
      Team Disney Building Renamed After Michael Eisner
      MTV Restructures to Enhance Multiplatform Delivery & TV Mix
      Disney Goes to Infinity and Beyond with $7.4 Billion Pixar Purchase
      UPN & The WB Merge to Form The CW Network
      AtomFilms Studio to Develop Original Online Video Content
      --> http://awn.com/spotlight/news.php3?item=Business

      * Call for Entries
      Students: It's Time to Enter VisionFest
      Oxford International Fest Wants Your Films
      Send Your Films to the Zoie Films Online Festival
      Sail Your Films to Brazil for Anima Mundi
      EA Hosts 'Reveal 06' Computer Animation Competition
      Action/Cut 2006 Wants Your Shorts
      --> http://awn.com/spotlight/news.php3?item=Call%20for%20Entries

      * Commercials
      Spontaneous Creates U2's Latest Music Video with SOFTIMAGE|FACE ROBOT
      --> http://awn.com/spotlight/news.php3?item=Commercials

      * Education
      Dance Dance Revolution Added To School Curriculum in West Virginia
      --> http://awn.com/spotlight/news.php3?item=Education

      * Events
      NewTek LIVE! 2006 Tour Announced
      Digital Animation for Freelance Producers Event Comes to U.K.
      --> http://awn.com/spotlight/news.php3?item=Events

      * Films
      Toy Story 3 Recalled
      Blur Studio to Develop Gopher Broke into Feature
      Underworld: Evolution Scares Up Box Office
      --> http://awn.com/spotlight/news.php3?item=Films

      * Internet and Interactive
      THQ Scores Worldwide Videogame Rights to Stormbreaker Movie
      Slamdance's Mirvish Strikes Videogame Deal
      Street Fighter Alpha Anthology & Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition Announced
      Comedy Central to Premiere Drawn Together Episode on iTunes Before Broadcast
      Nick, MTV & Comedy Central Programs Available on iTunes
      Medal of Honor Airborne Flies Into Stores
      --> http://awn.com/spotlight/news.php3?item=Internet%20and%20Interactive

      * Licensing
      McDonald's Happy Meals Deals For Strawberry Shortcake & Dragon Booster
      --> http://awn.com/spotlight/news.php3?item=Licensing

      * People
      Daniel Taylor to Resign President's Post at MGM
      David Stainton Steps Down as Head of Disney Feature Animation
      --> http://awn.com/spotlight/news.php3?item=People

      * Technology
      Digital Ribbon Signs Partnership for On-Demand Rendering Service
      Digital Video Releases Toonz 5.0 Harlequin
      FrameForge 3D Studio Version 2 Now Available
      --> http://awn.com/spotlight/news.php3?item=Technology

      * Television
      Oxygen Breathes Life Into Angry Little Girls Toon
      Disney's The Emperor's New School Premieres on Four Platforms
      VIZ Media Serves Up U.S. & Int'l Menus at NATPE
      Cartoon Network Inks Second Season for Boondocks
      New England Quarterback Tom Brady Scores Guest Position on Family Guy
      MTV Networks Latin America Offers Sneak Looks at NATPE
      Cartoon Network Runs With Marathon's Team Galaxy
      --> http://awn.com/spotlight/news.php3?item=Television

      * Video
      Lady and the Tramp Celebrates 50th Anniversary on DVD and at El Capitan
      Theatre
      Princess Tutu, E's Otherwise & Neo Ranga Hit DVD
      --> http://awn.com/spotlight/news.php3?item=Video

      Get the complete industry news delivered directly to your e-mail address
      every
      week. For complete details on getting your free one-year subscription to the
      ANIMATION FLASH, AWN's other weekly email publication, visit:
      --> http://news.awn.com/flash

      Does your company send us your news? We'd love to hear what's happening, big
      or
      small, domestic or international. Drop us a line at editor@....

      3.  S I T E  A N D  A F F I L I A T E S  N E W S

      * THIS WEEK AT ANIMATION WORLD MAGAZINE.
      Each week, Animation World Magazine offers new articles, special features
      and
      theme-based coverage of the art, craft and industry of animation. New this
      week:

      - Starting All Over Again
      Nancy Cartwright wipes the slate clean for 2006 and tells us how we can all
      start over again.
      --> http://mag.awn.com/index.php3?ltype=pageone&article_no=2764

      - Mobile Animation Originals
      Brands still dominate, but a growing number of opportunities exist for
      animators to sell their content for cell phone distribution. Karen Raugust
      reports.
      --> http://mag.awn.com/index.php3?ltype=pageone&article_no=2767

      - IPTV: Boom or Bust?
      Christopher Harz looks into the real potential of IPTV - is it a boom
      waiting
      to explode or is a fad that's soon to bust?
      --> http://mag.awn.com/index.php3?ltype=pageone&article_no=2769

      * VFXWORLD FEATURE ARTICLES THIS WEEK
      Each week, VFXWorld offers new articles, special features and theme-based
      coverage of the art, craft and industry of Visual Effects. New this week:

      - Everything Digital at CES 2006
      Christopher Harz goes to the gadget geeks' mecca - CES - and tells us what
      wonderful toys he found that are pushing entertainment into the future.
      --> http://vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=911ac78c&atype=articles&id=2763

      - The Rapidly Growing World of Indie Previs
      Tara DiLullo reports on the burgeoning previs industry by interviewing six
      leading indie companies.
      --> http://vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=911ac78c&atype=articles&id=2765

      - Previs: Bridging the Gap Between Animation and Live Action
      Bill Desowitz explores the differences between previs for animation and live
      action and efforts to merge them into a more efficient tool for animators.
      --> http://vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=911ac78c&atype=articles&id=2766

      - Nanny McPhee: A Spoonful of VFX Magic
      Alain Bielik meets the vfx wizards behind the new fantasy family film, Nanny
      McPhee, to try and uncover their magical secrets.
      --> http://vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=911ac78c&atype=articles&id=2768

      - VFX Bakeoff: An Impressive Shortlist for Oscar Consideration
      Jill Smolin reports on the particularly stunning and diverse work that was
      on
      display at the Academy's VFX Bakeoff.
      --> http://vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=911ac78c&atype=articles&id=2770

      * MASSIVE UPDATE TO THE THEATRICAL RELEASE DATABASE
      AWN has massively updated its Theatrical Release Database with new movies
      and
      other information changes. In date changes, we have updates for RAPUNZEL,
      BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA, ENCHANTED, WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE, PULSE,
      PATHFINDER,
      GARFIELD'S A TALE OF TWO KITTIES, A SCANNER DARKLY, TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE:
      THE ORIGIN, NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM and HOT WHEELS. Trailer lovers be on the
      look
      out for peeks at THE OMEN 666, SILENT HILL, THE WILD and SLITHER. Directors
      have been added for HORTON HEARS A WHO, PIRANHA and THE DARKNESS. Now comes
      the
      biggest part of the update - nearly 40 new films. They include: THE SHAGGY
      DOG;
      HOOD VS. EVIL; LISSI AND THE WILD KAISER; TALES OF EARTHSEA; KAMEO; THE
      GHOULY
      BOYS; WITHOUT REMORSE; CITY OF THE BEASTS; TORSO; DEEP SEA 3-D; APOCALYPTO;
      TYPHOON; OUR FAMILY TROUBLES; FANTASTIC FOUR 2; TATTOOED MAP; EVEN IF YOU'RE
      CYBORG, IT'S NO PROBLEM; EVIL LIVE; A HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT; LAND OF THE
      DEAD
      2; BELIEVE IT OR NOT!; DEAD OR ALIVE; AQUAMARINE; CLICK; SNAKES ON A PLANE;
      SIN
      CITY 2: A DAME TO KILL FOR; GRING HOUSE; SAW 3; HARRY POTTER AND THE
      HALF-BLOOD
      PRINCE; THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: PRINCE CASPIAN; GOPHER BROKE; KITE; PAN'S
      LABYRINTH; MAGNUM P.I.; SIREN; PRIEST and IDLEWILD.
      --> http://releases.awn.com

      * WIA/LA GROUNDHOG DAY GOAL-SETTING PROGRAM
      Hollywood, California, USA
      February 2, 2006

      WIA/LA is repeating last year's very successful Goal-Setting program. Career
      coaches running the event are Jan Nagel and Pamela Thompson. "Groundhog Day
      Goal-Setting with Jan and Pam" will be an intensive workshop for setting
      career
      goals in the new year. Get past those stale old excuses and come up with a
      new
      plan. The event will take place at Klasky Csupo Studio, 6353 Sunset Blvd.,
      Hollywood, California. Schmoozing begins at 6:30 pm followed by the event at
      7:00 pm. Admission is free to members, $10 for non-members. RSVP required -
      cutoff is Jan. 31. Please call (310) 535-3838, or email
      LAchapterrsvps@....

      * SEND US YOUR TOY FAIR NEWS!
      With Toy Fair fast approaching, AWN wants to know what your doing at this
      important event. Send your press releases or even a short note on how you're
      involved with Toy Fair. Send all news to editor@....

      * IT'S TIME TO GET INVOLVED WITH AWN'S MIP-TV SPECIAL NEWSLETTERS!
      Continuing our special event specific Flash Newsletters, we will be
      publishing
      special editions for GDC & MIP-TV. The markets are fast approaching and our
      editorial and advertising staffs are gearing up for the GDC &
      MIP-TV-specific
      Flash Newsletter series. Here are the dates for the publications. Please
      send
      your news two weeks prior to the publication date.

      Games Developers Conference 2005 Animation Flash Newsletter
      March 7

      MIP-TV Flash Newsletters
      March 14
      March 21
      March 28

      All your news can be sent to editor@.... For sales opportunities,
      contact
      Dan Sarto at dan@... or call (323) 606-4200.

      * DON'T MISS OUT ON GETTING INTO ANIMATION WORLD MAGAZINE & VFXWORLD!
      Each month, ANIMATION WORLD MAGAZINE focuses its attention on a particular
      theme. It's an opportunity to delve more in-depth into a specific area of
      the
      animation industry. AWN's editorial staff is always looking for new ideas
      for
      our theme articles. The same holds true for VFXWORLD as it delves in-depth
      into
      the visual effects arena. Upcoming topics include:

      AWN
      March - Direct-to-Video
      April - Gaming
      May - Recruiting & Jobs

      VFXWorld
      March - Non-Commercial 3D
      April - Business of Computer Graphics & VFX
      May - Feature & Short Films

      If your company is involved in something new and exciting in these areas,
      we'd
      love to hear about it and consider it for inclusion in ANIMATION WORLD
      MAGAZINE. Please send your topics to Sarah Baisley at editor@.... Ideas
      while suggestions for VFXWORLD should be sent to Bill Desowitz at
      editor@.... Due to deadlines, please make pitches for a specific theme a
      month to two months ahead of any given month of interest. A full editorial
      calendar can be found in our media kit at http://awn.com/mediakit.

      If you're interested in taking advantage of sales opportunities surrounding
      certain topic, contact Dan Sarto at sales@....

      We look forward to hearing what is going on in your part of the animation
      community.

      * THIS WEEK'S ANIMATION TRIVIA QUIZ
      Test your skills and challenge your brain with AWN's Animation Trivia Quiz.
      Check out the latest installment from quizmaster Karl Staven, an
      accomplished
      independent animator and head of the Animation Department at The University
      of
      the Arts in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

      This week's quiz covers animation that screened at Sundance 2006.
      --> http://quiz.awn.com

      * JOB OPPORTUNITIES FOR ANIMATORS, DIRECTORS, WRITERS, INSTRUCTORS AND MORE.
      Acme Filmworks is looking for a FREELANCE LIVE ACTION + 2D ANIMATION
      PRODUCER... Atomic Visual Effects is looking for a CONCEPT ARTIST... Bad Rap
      Productions is looking for a LEAD ANIMATOR FOR FEATURE FILM (2D)... FLW
      International Llc.is looking for a TECHNICAL DIRECTOR and SENIOR DIGITAL
      ARTIST... MDIVISION GmbH & Co. KG is looking for a 3D TRAINEE... Undisclosed
      is
      looking for a GRAPHIC DESIGNER... Shree TV is looking for a VIDEO EDITOR &
      SPECIAL FX ARTIST... Climax Studios is looking for a FRONT END UI ARTIST...
      Digital Domain is looking for a LIGHTWAVE GENERALIST and DIGITAL DOMAIN FREE
      STORM TRAINING... DreamWorks Animation, SKG is looking for a CHARACTER
      ANIMATOR, VISUAL DEVELOPMENT ARTIST, STORY ARTIST, LIGHTER, PRODUCTION
      (PIPELINE) ENGINEER, SOFTWARE ENGINEER (RENDERING) and SOFTWARE ENGINEER
      (CONFIGURATION MANAGEMENT)... FOUNTAIN PIXELS is looking for a BUSINESS
      DEVELOPMENT... Industrial Light + Magic, Lucasfilm Animation & LucasArts is
      looking for a LUCASFILM TO RECRUIT IN LOS ANGELES IN FEB.... Paprikaas
      Animation Studios Pvt. Ltd. is looking for a PRODUCTION COORDINATOR, FACIAL
      ANIMATOR, DIGITAL COMPOSITOR and VFX ARTIST- JR LEVEL... Paradigm
      Entertainment, Inc. is looking for a LEVEL DESIGNER... 3Dsite is looking for
      CHARACTER ANIMATOR, RIGGER and PIPELINE PROGRAMMER... ANIMASTER is looking
      for
      a 2D TECHNICAL HEAD CUM TRAINER... Bardel Ent. is looking for a STORYBOARD
      ARTIST... dream on words is looking for a COMIC BOOK PENCILER... First
      Strike
      is looking for a CHARACTER MODELLER (UNPAID)... Probe Games is looking for a
      3D
      ANIMATOR and ENVIRONMENT ARTIST... The Park Entertainment is looking for a
      CONCEPT ARTIST INTERNSHIP and STORYBOARD ARTSIT INTERNSHIP... Threshold
      Animation is looking for a CHARACTER TD / RIGGER... TransGaming Technologies
      is
      looking for a CONSOLE GAME DEVELOPER... ACN is looking for an AUDIO VIDEO
      SPECIALIST... Brain Zoo Studios is looking for a MAYA GENERALIST, MAYA
      ANIMATOR
      and AFTER EFFECTS ARTIST... Cartoon Saloon is looking for a SYSTEMS
      ADMINISTRATOR... Gecko Animation Studio is looking for a PRE-PRODUCTION
      ARTIST
      FOR ANIMATION and ANIMATION TRAINER... Infinite Frameworks Studios is
      looking
      for an ANIMATION DIRECTOR (FEATURE) and CG SUPERVISOR... Intelligent
      Creatures
      is looking for a TECHNICAL DIRECTOR... MARK IV ANIMATION STUDIOS PVT LTD is
      looking for a ARCHITECTURAL 3D MODELER/DIGITAL RENDERER - ANIMATOR /
      LANDSCAPE
      DIGITAL ARTIST and LIGHTING/TEXTURE ARTIST... MARK IV ANIMATION STUDIOS PVT.
      LTD is looking for a STORYBOARD ARTIST / CONCEPT ARTIST... Red Hill Studios
      is
      looking for a 3D MODELER/ANIMATOR... Scata Animation Studios is looking for
      LIGHTING ARTIST, TEXTURE ARTIST, 3D ANIMATOR and VFX ARTIST... Space Bass
      Films, Inc. is looking for a STOP-MOTION PRODUCTION MANAGER... Stormfront
      Studios is looking for a SENIOR 3D CHARACTER ANIMATOR... SubZero
      Productions,
      DAY O Productions, UCLA is looking for a RENDERER... Viewpoint is looking
      for a
      3D FREELANCER... AP Digital Studio is looking for a 3D MODELER/ RENDERER...
      BKN
      New Media is looking for an ART DIRECTOR/ GRAPHIC DESIGNER... Bounce
      Animation
      Studio Pvt. Ltd. is looking for a FACULTY (3D ANIMATION)... DAMC is looking
      for
      a FLASH DEVELOPER and JAVA DEVELOPER... Escotoonz Ent. Pvt. Ltd. is looking
      for
      an ANIMATION ARTIST... Escotoonz Ent. Pvt. Ltd. is looking for a BACKGROUND
      ARTIST- 2D... Eurocom Developments Ltd. is looking for a GAMEPLAY/LEVEL
      DESIGNER and 3D ARTIST... GlasgowAnimation is looking for a PAID INTERNSHIP,
      JUNIOR TEXTURE ARTIST, SENIOR TEXTURE ARTIST, SFX ARTIST and SENIOR SFX
      ARTIST... Highlander Productions is looking for a 3D ANIMATOR... Mt San
      Antonio
      College is looking for a PROFESSOR, ART: LIFE DRAWING/DRAWING... Naughty
      Dog,
      Inc. is looking for a GENERALIST PROGRAMMER, RENDERER SYSTEM PROGRAMMER and
      TOOLS PROGRAMMER... PROCAST FZ Llc. is looking for a PROGRAMMER... SBS is
      looking for an ANIMATOR... The Art Institute of Portland is looking for an
      INSTRUCTOR - MAYA... The Sales Consultancy is looking for a BUSINESS
      DEVELOPMENT MANAGER - ANIMATION AGENCY... The Stealth Interactive is looking
      for a NEXT GEN FPS, RACING AND SPORTS... ANI Mentor is looking for a MAYA
      ARTIST and 3DS MAX ARTIST... Animal Logic is looking for a SENIOR LIGHTING
      TECHNICAL DIRECTOR... Art Institute of Seattle is looking for an ACADEMIC
      DIRECTOR, ANIMATION... Catman & Mary productions is looking for a SEEKING
      THE
      NEXT NICK PARK... Dubai Police Headquarters is looking for a 3D ARTIST...
      Dubai
      VFX Post Studio is looking for a VFX & POST TEAM... LipSync Post is looking
      for
      a COMPOSITOR, CG LEAD and ... MARK IV ANIMATION STUDIOS Pvt. Ltd. is looking
      for a 3D CHARACTER MODELER/ANIMATOR... Midcom Corp. is looking for an
      ANIMATOR
      DESIGNER... Reel FX Creative Studios is looking for a TEXTURE ARTIST...
      Sakshi
      Infomatics is looking for FACULTY... Shadow Animation is looking for a
      SHADOW
      ANIMATION INTERNSHIP... Smiley Guy Studios is looking for a FLASH ANIMATOR
      and
      3D CAMERA LAYOUT ARTIST.

      For more information about these and other jobs, check out AWN's Career
      Connections, the online Animation Job Fair:
      --> http://careers.awn.com

      * AWN DISCUSSION FORUMS - WHAT'S NEW?
      This week in AWN's Forums, members are abuzz with the news that Disney has
      acquired Pixar. Many members are talking about whether this means the
      returns
      of 2D animation at the Mouse House. Others are joining into the thread on
      videogames being the most successful animation industry. There's another
      thread
      discussing CORPSE BRIDE and other stop-motion movies. A junior member has
      some
      questions about making a 2D short. A student of AnimationMentor.com talks
      about
      his impressions of the program. Others continue to post their work. And
      there's
      a thread drumming up support to save the cancelled TEEN TITANS TV series. As
      well as, tools for teaching animation, the business of animation and, as
      always, brand new stuff to check out in show and tell!
      --> http://forums.awn.com

      * NEW ADDITIONS TO AWN'S CALENDAR OF EVENTS.
      This week's updates to the Calendar of Events include:
      Lady and the Tramp Screening: Thursday, February 2, 2006 - Tuesday, February
      14, 2006, Hollywood, USA... Bambi II Screening: Tuesday, February 7, 2006,
      Hollywood, USA... Beginning Commercial VO Seminar: Tuesday, February 7, 2006
      -
      Saturday, March 4, 2006, Burbank, USA... "Artists Needed" Drawing Group:
      Tuesday, February 14, 2006, Manhattan, USA... Zoie Films Online Festival:
      Wednesday, February 15, 2006, World Wide Web... Taking Back Sunday Flash
      Video
      Contest: Saturday, February 18, 2006, , World Wide Web... Writing Animated
      Comedy for Television: Sunday, February 19, 2006, Hollywood, USA... 12th
      annual
      Sedona International Film Festival & Workshop: Thursday, February 23, 2006 -
      Sunday, February 26, 2006, Sedona, USA... WGA Advantages: Sunday, February
      26,
      2006, Hollywood, USA.
      --> http://events.awn.com

      * LIST YOUR EVENT ON AWN'S CALENDAR OF EVENTS!
      With multiple search capabilities, AWN's Calendar of Events gives you a
      customized way to look through the upcoming events - by Name, Location,
      Entry
      Deadline, Category, Event Type and more. Use it to stay abreast of animation
      related activities across the globe. If you wish to enter your event
      information directly into AWN's online Calendar of Events database, go to:
      --> http://events.awn.com/eventcreate.php3

      4.  U P C O M I N G  E V E N T S  I N  A N I M A T I O N

      The following animation and visual effects events are scheduled during the
      upcoming months. Go to AWN's expansive Calendar of Events for a detailed
      description of these and more events spanning well into the year 2007.
      --> http://events.awn.com

      washingtonpost.com Editorial Cartoonist of the Future Competition
      World Wide Web
      Tuesday, January 31, 2006

      Intro to VO Seminar
      Burbank, USA
      Tuesday, January 31, 2006

      SpeedGrade Seminar in Montreal
      Montreal, Canada
      Tuesday, January 31, 2006

      IMAGINA 2006
      Monte-Carlo, Monaco
      Wednesday, February 1, 2006 - Friday, February 3, 2006

      Zoom Girl Media Lesbian Shorts Competition
      World Wide Web
      Wednesday, February 1, 2006

      WIA/LA Groundhog Day Goal-Setting Program
      Hollywood, USA
      Thursday, February 2, 2006

      "The Very Good Adventures of Yam Roll in Happy Kingdom" Series Premiere
      Party
      Vancouver, Canada
      Thursday, February 2, 2006

      Thursday, February 2, 2006 - Tuesday, February 14, 2006

      First Annual Science Fiction Short Film Festival
      Seattle, USA
      Friday, February 3, 2006 - Saturday, February 4, 2006

      Black Maria Film and Video Festival
      National Tour, USA
      Friday, February 3, 2006 - Thursday, June 15, 2006

      2nd Annual Seattle Game Conference
      Seattle, USA
      Saturday, February 4, 2006

      Women In Film/Chicago Roundtable-Women In Directing
      Chicago, USA
      Saturday, February 4, 2006

      2006 DIY Convention
      Hollywood, USA
      Sunday, February 5, 2006 - Sunday, February 12, 2006

      ANIMEX: International Festival of Animation & Computer Games
      Middlesbrough, U.K.
      Monday, February 6, 2006 - Friday, February 10, 2006

      ASIFA-San Fran Open Screening for Pros
      San Francisco, USA
      Tuesday, February 7, 2006

      Bambi II Screening
      Hollywood, USA
      Tuesday, February 7, 2006

      Beginning Commercial VO Seminar
      Burbank, USA
      Tuesday, February 7, 2006 - Saturday, March 4, 2006

      2006 Media Summit New York
      New York, USA
      Wednesday, February 8, 2006 - Thursday, February 9, 2006

      An Evening with John Kricfalusi
      Anaheim, USA
      Thursday, February 9, 2006

      The Best of Slamdance
      Hollywood, USA
      Thursday, February 9, 2006 - Thursday, February 16, 2006

      Corpse Bride Writer Speaks
      Los Angeles, USA
      Thursday, February 9, 2006

      Bob Bergen's Animation Voice-over Seminar and Cruise
      Ensenada, Mexico
      Friday, February 10, 2006 - Sunday, February 12, 2006

      WonderCon 2006
      San Francisco, USA
      Friday, February 10, 2006 - Sunday, February 12, 2006

      American International TOY FAIR
      New York, USA
      Sunday, February 12, 2006 - Wednesday, February 15, 2006

      Animated Exeter 2006
      Exeter City, U.K.
      Monday, February 13, 2006 - Saturday, February 25, 2006

      "Artists Needed" Drawing Group
      Manhattan, USA
      Tuesday, February 14, 2006

      Scriptapalooza 7th Annual Television Writing Competition
      World Wide Web
      Wednesday, February 15, 2006

      Zoie Films Online Festival
      World Wide Web
      Wednesday, February 15, 2006

      ASIFA-San Fran Open Screening for Students
      San Francisco, USA
      Saturday, February 18, 2006

      Gnomon Workshop: Live
      Hollywood, USA
      Saturday, February 18, 2006 - Sunday, February 19, 2006

      Saturday, February 18, 2006

      BAFTA Awards
      London, U.K.
      Sunday, February 19, 2006

      Sunday, February 19, 2006

      aniMOweb - 4th edition
      Modena and World Wide Web, Italy
      Monday, February 20, 2006 - Saturday, February 25, 2006

      Tasmeem Doha 2006
      Doha, Qatar
      Monday, February 20, 2006 - Thursday, February 23, 2006

      Golden Star Short Fest
      Los Angeles, USA
      Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - Sunday, February 26, 2006

      12th annual Sedona International Film Festival & Workshop
      Sedona, USA
      Thursday, February 23, 2006 - Sunday, February 26, 2006

      ANIMA 2006
      Brussels, Belgium
      Friday, February 24, 2006 - Sunday, March 5, 2006

      26th Oporto International Film Festival
      Porto, Portugal
      Friday, February 24, 2006 - Saturday, March 4, 2006

      New York Comic-Con
      New York, USA
      Friday, February 24, 2006 - Sunday, February 26, 2006

      Oscar Shorts Screening
      Santa Monica, USA
      Friday, February 24, 2006

      Graduate Studies Information Day
      San Francisco, USA
      Saturday, February 25, 2006

      M1 Singapore Fringe Festival 2006
      Singapore, Singapore
      Sunday, February 26, 2006 - Sunday, March 12, 2006

      WGA Advantages
      Hollywood, USA
      Sunday, February 26, 2006

      BioWare Game Writing Contest
      World Wide Web
      Monday, February 27, 2006

      Cinequest Film Festival 2006
      San Jose, USA
      Wednesday, March 1, 2006 - Sunday, March 12, 2006

      Animac 2006
      Lleida, Spain
      Thursday, March 2, 2006 - Sunday, March 5, 2006

      American Cinematheque Presents Oscar Shorts
      Hollywood, USA
      Thursday, March 2, 2006 - Sunday, March 12, 2006

      sagas Developing Interactive Entertainment Workshop
      Munich, Germany
      Friday, March 3, 2006 - Sunday, September 3, 2006

      Delray Beach Film Festival
      Delray Beach, USA
      Wednesday, March 8, 2006 - Sunday, March 12, 2006

      World of Comedy International Film Festival
      Toronto, Canada
      Wednesday, March 8, 2006 - Sunday, March 12, 2006

      Game Marketing Conference
      San Francisco, USA
      Wednesday, March 8, 2006 - Thursday, March 9, 2006

      Tiburon International Film Festival 2006
      Tiburon, USA
      Thursday, March 9, 2006 - Friday, March 17, 2006

      The British Animation Awards (BAA) 2005
      London, U.K.
      Thursday, March 9, 2006

      Cartoon Movie 2006
      Potsdam, Germany
      Thursday, March 9, 2006 - Saturday, March 11, 2006

      Promax/BDA Arabia
      Dubai, UAE
      Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - Wednesday, March 15, 2006

      Hida International Animation Festival of Folktales and Fables
      Hida, Japan
      Friday, March 17, 2006 - Sunday, March 19, 2006

      2006 Game Developers Conference
      San Jose, USA
      Monday, March 20, 2006 - Friday, March 24, 2006

      Independent Games Festival 2006
      San Jose, USA
      Monday, March 20, 2006 - Friday, March 24, 2006

      2006 Serious Games Summit (SGS)
      San Jose, USA
      Monday, March 20, 2006 - Tuesday, March 21, 2006

      Ann Arbor Film Festival 2006
      Ann Arbor, USA
      Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - Sunday, March 26, 2006

      VFX ASIA2006
      Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
      Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - Saturday, March 25, 2006

      European Independent Film Festival 2006
      Paris, France
      Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - Saturday, March 25, 2006

      FICCI BAF Awards 2006
      Mumbai, India
      Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - Friday, March 24, 2006

      Reel Women International Film Festival 2005
      Hollywood, USA
      Thursday, March 23, 2006 - Sunday, March 26, 2006

      Silver Lake Film Festival 2006
      Silver Lake, USA
      Thursday, March 23, 2006 - Friday, March 31, 2006

      Cyprus International Film Festival (CIFF)
      Larnaca, Limassol & Nicosia, Greece
      Friday, March 24, 2006 - Monday, March 27, 2006

      2006 Roma Independent Film Festival
      Rome, Italy
      Friday, March 24, 2006 - Friday, March 31, 2006

      A Tribute to UPA
      Hollywood, USA
      Sunday, March 26, 2006

      Bologna Children's Book Fair 2006
      Bologna, Italy
      Monday, March 27, 2006 - Thursday, March 30, 2006

      Crossroads Film Festival 2006
      Jackson, USA
      Thursday, March 30, 2006 - Sunday, April 2, 2006

      __

      The AWN Spotlight
      An Animation World Network Publication
      AWN, Inc.
      6525 Sunset Blvd., Garden Suite 10
      Los Angeles, CA 90028
      Phone: (323) 606-4200
      Fax: (323) 466-6619

      Spotlight Editor: Sarah Baisley
      Spotlight Writer: Rick DeMott
      Publishers: Dan Sarto and Ron Diamond

      Send comments to: editor@...
      Visit our Website, the hub of animation on the Internet at:
      Phone: (323) 606-4200
      Fax: (323) 466-6619
      Email: info@...