Names and Devices Registered in November LoAR!!

  • Duggar, David
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2013

      REGISTERED  November 2012 LOAR (NOTHING RETURNED - YEAH!)

      GLEANN ABHANN

      Adam Goodwine. Device. Azure, a bull passant argent, on a chief Or five fleurs-de-lys azure.

      Álfráðr Marteinsson. Name.

      Bride O Sullevan. Name.

      Submitted as Bridok O Sullevan, the submitter indicated that she preferred a name that sounded like \Bride-ee\. She was contacted and approved the change to Bride, which is found as a late period English given name in the IGI Parish Record extracts. We have made that change in order to meet her request.

      The submitter requested authenticity for 14th to 16th century Ireland. As modified, the name no longer meets that request. However, the submitter made it clear she preferred this form of the name.

      Guðrún Einarsdóttir. Device. Per bend sinister azure and Or, a compass rose Or and a falcon striking gules.

      Karn syn Lysyi. Name.

      Paul Wickenden of Thanet's Dictionary of Period Russian Names lists only the first citation of a name, so as documented there is a gap between the elements of over 500 years. However, variant spellings of the given name make it clear that the name continued in use. Therefore we can give the submitter the benefit of the doubt and allow this combination.

      We note that our Russian sources, once superb, no longer completely meet our needs for documentation. This means that we need more research to establish that names documented only as early names continued in use through our period.

      Miguel Antonio de Mondragon. Name.

      While all the period citations of the byname Mondragon omit the preposition de, Mondragon is a place name (for example in a list of cities c. 1350 in CORDE (Corpus diacrónico del español, http://corpus.rae.es/cordenet.html). Thus this can be registered as submitted.

      Skallagrímr Bárðarson. Device change. Per chevron sable and azure, a chevron rayonny argent.

      His previous device, Gyronny Or and sable, eight Tyr runes bases to center and a bordure counterchanged, is retained as a badge.