Re: [ardanroe] August Silk Painting

  • Sarah L.
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
      What medium are you thinking of wanting to use?  The "Ladies" are bedsheets, I believe, that were done in Sharpie, acrylic paint/fabric medium, and that may be it.  Can anybody who was involved in their creation testify, or were you thinking of something different?

      My attendance at the August A&S meeting is still up in the air, but I'd be happy to work on hangings (tracing, printing onto the projector sheets, etc).

      Sarah

      On 7/29/07, James Chicory <chicory@...> wrote:

      i would like to ask the group a question, we had planned to reschedule silk painting to august, but in interest of getting some wall hangings for the shire would that be an alright project for the August A&S , thoughts? if they where already  drawn out we could have a few painted before the august event, and then for crown we could have a few more done.  we can look at this option at the precook on Saturday

    • Duggar, David
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007

        The four season ladies were overhead projected onto the sheets and traced in pencil. A stencil was used for the vines. The sheets were put on tables and the pencil tracing was re-traced using the sharpie-type of felt ink pens. After completely marked out with the black ink, they were painted using the paint bottles you can get at Michael’s (various brands – Apple something is one of the brands) mixed with the paint bottles of fabric medium (also of the same brand from Michael’s). This way any bleeding of the paint in the fabric was stopped by the barrier created by the ink pen. I do not recall if the sheets, after the paint dried, were put in a dryer to heat set or were ironed to heat set before being used.

        The Shire banner wall that we did for the Pennsic wall for Gleann Abhann last year was done in a similar manner, though for that one we actually painted the fabric with gesso first, drew the device out with pencil or ink, and painted directly rather than redrawing with the sharpie markers. And a rubber stamp was used for applying the painted fleur-de-lys on the device. I do not think we needed to mix the fabric medium paint bottles with the actual paints since we gesso-ed the fabric first (again Apple … or whatever brands of paint bottles gotten from Michael’s or possibly Hobby Lobby).

        Rory