Event Bid:Gleann Abhann Symposium Event Info

  • Kendra Dey
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 23 5:36 AM
    Event Bid: Gleann Abhann Symposium
  • Robert Welch
    Message 2 of 7 , Oct 25 5:41 AM
      Let me start the discussion on this one. Remember, everyone, since the financial committee approved both of the bids, it is up to us do we want to do 1 or the other or both. If you have questions about one or the other, or think 3 events are too much work for us, now is your time to speak. Saying no to one bid does not mean we will not do the other bid. So, basically speak up so your voice gets heard, you can say no to one and not the other, or allow both to stand. On to my two cents.

      I think this is a great event. It is inexpensive to host and attend. It should almost run itself. The difficult part I see is teachers, but I know Baroness Medb can handle voluntelling people to do it. I have seen the church, it is a great site for this event. I think the round table lunch is awesome.

      Question: Medb, you said the event might be a long day. Have you thought about a feast or "snack time" or something? I do understand this would increase the expenses as well as labor, and cleaning time. I am not sure what time we would have to be gone on Saturday, either. That may make cleaning after a feast, immpossible.

      Question: Anyone remember the deal the Ramada was giving us? And would they give it to us again?

      Message 3 of 7 , Oct 25 6:44 AM
        I like both bids... of course I would like to do the Rock and Role event and have some cool ideas (this was my original bid for WW)... but I also think the Symposium event would be very cool too.. I like the idea of getting to wear your nice garb (no sweating it out in the heat) and taking some class to learn more about the SCA.

        I would also make an offer, if this event wanted to do some snacks or lunch type foods... I could rally the brewers to provide some different lil snacks and maybe sandwiches and take donations to use for cups and supplies at Gulf Wars during the GA Social.... If interested I can find out if it can be done..and willing to head this up...

        I am more than willing to do both events, i usually schedule my vacation time around Gulf Wars and Shire Events anyways....

        Just my 5 cents - im worth more than skalligrim...lol

        Yours In Service, THL Mateo

          I too like the idea of both.  The Symposium will draw heavily on Kingdom Officers as teachers.  There have been many others who have expressed an interest in this type of event.  As to the refreshment offer that is not my call, but I remind everyone that the site is bone dry.  No alcohol will be permitted on the property.

          Gilbert

            It being summer, a sideboard of fruits, sandwich fixins, and maybe a cold soup would be a good plan for food.  If you do a self-serve sideboard, you can leave it up for a longer time, like 11-2, and let people help themselves as time allows.  It's also cost-effective.  You could do something similar with coffee and muffins for the morning.

            Message 6 of 7 , Oct 25 11:44 AM
              This is my vote for both as well.  From just-a-stick-jock's point of view, we need to make sure there are classes on fighting issues for the symposium.

              Akimoro

              Sent from my iPad

              On Oct 25, 2012, at 9:42 AM, John Higginbotham <revhigg@...> wrote:

              I too like the idea of both.  The Symposium will draw heavily on Kingdom Officers as teachers.  There have been many others who have expressed an interest in this type of event.  As to the refreshment offer that is not my call, but I remind everyone that the site is bone dry.  No alcohol will be permitted on the property.

              Gilbert

                My hope would be to have a class(es) on marshalling at the very least.

                From: Mike Dudley <akimoro@...>
                Sender: ardanroe@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 13:44:21 -0500
                To: ardanroe@yahoogroups.com<ardanroe@yahoogroups.com>