Dance Stuff

  • Duggar, David
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2012

      I’m working on APA stuff and decided to “share the wealth” as it were, as I plunder the Saltare Dance Guild website. – plunder, plunder, plunder – Rory

      Meridian Dance Repertoire

      If you are looking for a place to get started, below is a list of basic dances that covers some of the various styles of dance that are done in the SCA. Learning these dances will not only allow you to participate in dance revels at events, but will also help you acquire the steps and vocabulary required to learn more challenging dances in the future.

      Bransles

      These dances are done in lines or circles of dancers. They involve simple steps, kicks, and hops in repeating patterns.

      Bransle Pinagay

      Bransle Charlotte

      Bransle de la Guerre (War Bransle)

      Bransle Montarde

      Pavans, Almans, and Measures

      Most of the dances in this style come from a group known as the Old Measures or Inns of Court dances. They are slow, processional dances that range from very short to moderate length, and repeat as long as the musicians play. All of these dances are set for couples in a line.

      Queen's Alman

      Black Alman

      English Country Dances

      While the earliest choreographic source we have for these dances (John Playford's English Dancing Master) is from 1651, there are references to this style, as well as some of the dance names and tunes, well into the 16th century. These dances call for sets of couples in various configurations, moving in intricate patterns. Most of the dances in this style that we do have a common verse/chorus structure that makes them easy to learn.

      Black Nag (3 couples)

      Rufty Tufty (2 couples)

      Gathering Peascods (many couples)

      15th Century Italian

      The dances of 15th century Italy are full of romance and excitement. These dances often feature fast and slow sections, or places where couples are separated and must find their way back together.

      Petit Riense (3 dancers)

      Gelosia (3 couples)

      Amoroso (1 couple)