Re: [ardanroe] Re:Persona Help

  • Michael atte Harpe
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 8, 2009
      Correct on the armour- everything else just has to be "rigid material"

      As far as research, try google scholar or amazon for books and articles.

      Harp

      On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Robert Welch <robertwelch3553@...> wrote:

      Just to throw some stuff out there. My son has an alternate persona, as my persona's son. So he will be viking until he gets this together.

      As far as armor and fighting, I don't wear armor to my specfic persona, not many I know do. I care about fuctionality, he is the same way. We can pretend we are in the middle ages, then we can pretend his armor is ok. I am not sure about this kingdom, but in Calontir, the only piece that had to be metal was the helmet.

      He has looked at the Beothuk and we are not sure about making everything red, maybe if we can find an economical way to do it. If we lived in Oklahoma we could just smear him in mud.

      The real problem we are having is finding any good info about clothing & culture. Religon prolly could be faked enough to get by from plains indians and others. After all, since the christians in general and the catholics in particular tried to wipe out pagan religons even the what we know of the viking's religion is a best guess. There just isnt much written that survived the purge, and most that did was copied by christians, and tends to teach christian values.

      So it comes down to what to wear, what is his name, etc, when there seems to be only 2 or 3 paragraphs out there any where? How do you document anything? Maybe this is one reason no one does these personas. I vaguely remember someone in my history class telling me the native americans didn't have a written languague until europeans showed up. Its looking like that maybe true, at least for some.

      Skallagrim & Clan

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
        You might also try to get in touch with some Native American tribes or a group that re-enacts the American Colonial era.  I believe they call their events Rendezvous.  I'm sure some of them portray Native Americans.

        Melisant