2147Re: All Feastocrats - all past & all who want to be!

  • Beth Kilburn
    Jul 1, 2009
      This is great feedback! I'm glad I'd only slightly thought of putting this on the GA group list. The reasons you gave are the reasons I thought doing so wouldn't be a good thing. As of right now, having a Feastocrat is the only thing I don't have that I have to have in order to submit my bid. I would much rather have a Feastocrat from Ardanroe, or at least, someone close by that can be vouched for.

      Eibhlin

      --- In ardanroe@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah L." <hrldndva@...> wrote:

      > Eibhlin,
      >
      > On the first part of your question- I have no idea if there are any folks in
      > the Shire (or nearby) who have Viking cooking skills.
      >
      > On to the rest of your question- I would strongly caution against
      > advertising on the Kingdom E-list for potential feast cooks or other major
      > staff. While Ardanroe does not manage to pull off wonderful events 100% "in
      > house," as a shire, we've always been really selective about who to offer
      > key positions to if those people reside outside of our borders. For
      > example, before we offered Rebecka the opportunity to co-steward last year's
      > Winter Wonders, the Shire talked about it, because there's a lot of chaos
      > factor that can come with having a key player that we don't see twice a
      > month. With a feast cook, we'd not only be dealing with that factor, but
      > also with the factors of not being nearby to help prep and not being able to
      > help store pre-cooked items in our freezers and other 'support' issues...
      > plus, and this is not to sound mean- when you openly advertise a position
      > kingdom-wide, you can't control who might respond. If Joe the Viking Guy
      > from Gulfport, MS swore that he did the best Viking feast ever, would we
      > really want to take his word for it and trust him with the feast budget if
      > we didn't know his cooking or reliability? It is a far better idea to
      > consider who you think might do the job well, talk to the shire about it if
      > they don't live here, and then approach them directly.
      >
      > Now speaking as 1/3 of the Financial Committee, I will say- if a bid has
      > clearly been well thought out and worked on in good detail, but some bits
      > haven't been ironed out, I am not going to hold it against the steward when
      > I'm considering my vote (but I won't speak for the other 2). I think it is
      > plain silly to try to have the event's full schedule lined out this far in
      > advance, for example, and it's hard to get teachers to commit to classes 9
      > months out. Likewise, it might be hard to find a feastcrat to commit, now,
      > to a "maybe" feast, and there's also the possibility that you can find a
      > very eager feastcrat close to home if you're willing to bend your ideas of
      > what you precisely want.
      >
      > I can tell you're working hard on your bid, and I personally think that's
      > wonderful, but don't hurt yourself trying to make it perfect on paper.
      > After all, whoever is awarded the bid will need something to keep them busy
      > until January, so they should save at least a few details for then.
      >
      > (Just my two cents- Rory and Dana may disagree 100%)
      >

      > Sarah
      >

      > On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Beth Kilburn <iamanirishrose@...>wrote:
      >

      > > I know this is a little down to the wire for Winter Wonders bid
      > > submissions. I just realized this was the one thing I've not done even
      > > though it's one of THE most important parts of my bid!
      > >
      > > Is there a Viking group close enough by that I can contact to see if they'd
> [...]
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic