Addicted to kite surfing??

  • Steve Duggan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
      This was taken from a newsletter by Ian Young....

      You know you're addicted to Kitesurfing when ...

      1) you replace broken shoelaces, hang hammocks and clothes with the
      extra lengths of Q-line you keep in the back of the car.

      2) you develop a sudden affection for wind chimes and hang them
      strategically around your house so the different tones alert you to
      wind direction and speed.

      3) above chimes awaken you at ungodly morning hours and you sprint to
      the beach without so much as a kiss to your girl or your morning
      coffee.

      4) for the first time in your life you have a "six pack" of abs and
      very defined quadriceps.

      5) stainless steel o rings, snap shackles, and clam cleats are your
      idea of the "family jewels".

      6) you can never have enough rope.

      7) you carry a spare piece of leader line and, when bored at parties
      or on the plane or in line at the bank you practice all kinds of
      intricate knots

      8) you have no less than 327 personal "wind meters" that you glance
      at every day on your commute. These include but are not limited to
      flags, trees, peeling billboard ads, etc etc.

      9) every sunset session is a "religious experience".

      10) your local shoe-repair guy knows you on a first name basis and
      has operated on your harness 7 times in that many months and you have
      pretty much convinced HIM to go buy a kite.

      11) you have developed intricate "systems" for everything from
      pulling out bladders and you mentally time yourself every run through
      so as to be a lean, mean, kiting machine and not lose one precious
      second of time on the water.

      12) you are absolutely sure that you will be able to kitesurf until
      you are 83...and you'll be jumping higher each year.

      13) you have reoccurring fantasies of somehow becoming one of those
      lucky bastards that gets to ride all the prototype gear and go on all
      the photo shoots.

      14) you find it VERY, VERY difficult to get psyched to go play
      racquetball or ride your bike or go scuba diving..."I mean, what if
      it starts to blow and I'm far from my kite!!??"

      15) you're convinced that the human race has finally begun to evolve
      again and that WE are leading the pack!

      16) work functions are distracting you from constantly watching tree
      tops to see how much wind there is even though you cant get to the
      beach.

      17) Every sport you see is compared to kitesurfing.

      19) You argue with non-kitesurfing friends that kitesurfing is better
      then everything.

      19a) You try so hard to get friends involved, but when it comes down
      to it, it costs so much and they don't understand that spending $2000
      bucks will re-define fun in their life...and you still can't believe
      that a few, although are just as fit as you, have no interest
      whatsoever in kitesurfing. They would rather spend all there money on
      junk.

      20) When you have no wind or are bored, you will sit down and study
      kitesurfing movies. But when non kitesurfing friends come around they
      can't watch it for 5 seconds and you can't understand why...maybe
      they are jealous?

      21) Your living space is shrinking due to the pile of gear in the
      middle of your house where the TV, VCR, dinner table and couch used
      to be before selling them to buy another kite.

      22) Your control bar is used for hanging coats - when you're not
      hanging from it...

      23) You have a massive stupid grin on your face whilst hosing the
      kite down with water in the garden after an epic session.

      24) Afterwards you think a clean kite sat in your garden drying off
      is a beautiful sight, while you're girlfriend thinks you've lost your
      marbles and wished you treated everything else in the house with the
      same care and attention - especially her.

      25) Your kite buddies have replaced your lifelong high-school/college
      buddies.

      26) You find yourself daydreaming about kitesurfing at all hours of
      the day

      27) You've only stayed at home for 3 weekends in a 5 month period, 2
      of which were because of weddings or birthday parties.

      28) You are constantly trying to figure out the wind speed in
      anything you see, movies, magazines, "wild on" shows in Belize,
      pictures. Saying, "look, there's wind when this was filmed". Your
      girlfriend gives you weird looks.

      29) You are constantly asking friends who went to beaches etc, who
      don't kitesurf, if it was windy when you weren}t there because you
      wanted desperately to know if you've missed any kitesurfing...

      30) Have replaced dreaming of hot blondes, to landing quadruple back
      rolls in Hawaii.

      31) Add up what you have spent on kite gear over the years to find
      out you could have bought a car already.

      32) Everyone close to you reports how the wind was where they were
      automatically, you don't even have to ask them anymore.

      33) you have gotten at least 2 buddies on to the sport, your brother,
      parents or cousins...

      34) your grandma knows that scattered whitecaps begin to form at 8
      knots.

      35) you don't get along with pelicans anymore because they have an
      uncanny knack for pooping on your kite...

      36) you have an epic love/hate relationship with the god of wind and
      have considered making sacrifices

      37) If the wind is blowing you can work miracles on broken equipment
      with chewing gum, duck tape, extra 600 lb Qline and zip ties.

      38) You carry a 30 lb. bag of line and rope spools, rings, shackles,
      leader line, everywhere you go.

      39) when you won't make plans to do ANYTHING else because it MIGHT be
      windy...!

      40) When not at the beach you find yourself looking at windcharts
      like ten of them - then when you're done about five minutes later
      you're back in there just to see if the wind change a knot.

      41) you constanly check 20+ websites and forums just to get the
      latest scoop on equipment, new video downloads and pictures or just
      to hear some guy on the other side of the world flew into a tree and
      broke his back. reply to everything that gives you a kick and if not
      finding a reason to reply even though you have know idea what's going
      on. Then when all else fails making up posts so when you return to
      check it in 5 minutes to see if someone has replied.

      42) you dream about kitesurfing and wake up drooling.

      43) when you're on a crowded beach on a hot sunny day and everyone
      else is looking at half-naked girls on the beach but you're too busy
      looking at the lovely white caps in the water.....

      44) your girlfriend has to sit in the back seat when driving because
      your board is on the passenger seat that's reclined - and they both
      can't fit in the front

      45) Every road trip you take you are spying for new kitesurf spots
      relatively close to home: lakes, rivers, open fields for
      kitesnowboarding or mountain boarding in the winter

      46) You take your gear with you on every romantic vacation or getaway
      (if your girl hasn't left you by now)

      47) You have bought a couple women's wetsuits so your girlfriend has
      no excuse not to try it

      48) You have asked all your friends to see if their grandma has a
      sewing machine

      49) You would rule if Jeopardy ever had a category for "sail makers
      supply"

      50) Your browser's "favorites" are filled with pages of endless wind
      meter links and kitesurfing sites.
    • loco4viento
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
        Great job!

        When I read it I felt like some spy had been checking up on me
        and taking notes. ;-)))

        John

        --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Duggan"
        <darce@s...> wrote:
        > This was taken from a newsletter by Ian Young....
        >
        > You know you're addicted to Kitesurfing when ...
      • vytaspass
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
          Me too! Except he seemed to correct my grammar errors! LOL

          http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/OffDaLip/addicted.html

          Just curious, who's Ian Young?

          --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "loco4viento" <loco4viento@y...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
            --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "vytaspass" <surfsup@r...>
            wrote:

            > Just curious, who's Ian Young?

            Hey V,

            Ian is a kitesurfer/instructor in Western Australia who was a
            regular contributor on the old egroups. Good guy, always helpful,
            got a little tired of some of the old egroups bickering so he hasn't
            contributed in a few years. On the other hand, if you ever want his
            help with anything, he's super nice about it and knows his stuff.

            BTW, what's the latest in stacking news from the not-so-windy
            city?

            Here in the Arizona desert, I've been getting out and flying some
            of my kites in the refreshing 104-109 degree sunny weather. :-(((

            John
          • vytaspass
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
              >>>BTW, what's the latest in stacking news from the not-so-windy
              city?<<<

              Well, actually, not much. I haven't stacked or flown hardly anything
              in the last couple weeks. Birthday, graduation parties, blah blah
              blah. All getting in the way of my kitesurfing! LOL Then, the
              weekend I'm free, Saturday we had "hurricane-force" winds (60kts)
              that died down in the evening, but the marine patrol wouldn't let us
              out. Then yesterday, we had a training in the AM and the wind died
              at noon, right when the training ended! Oh....the cruelty of Mama
              Nature! (I did get 30 minutes before training though...)

              >>>Here in the Arizona desert, I've been getting out and flying some
              of my kites in the refreshing 104-109 degree sunny weather<<<

              If there's wind in that crazy heat, I'll take it! Better than
              wearing a drysuit sitting on the beach, my friend.

              www.chicagokitesurfing.com