Addicted to kite surfing??
- This was taken from a newsletter by Ian Young....
You know you're addicted to Kitesurfing when ...
1) you replace broken shoelaces, hang hammocks and clothes with the
extra lengths of Q-line you keep in the back of the car.
2) you develop a sudden affection for wind chimes and hang them
strategically around your house so the different tones alert you to
wind direction and speed.
3) above chimes awaken you at ungodly morning hours and you sprint to
the beach without so much as a kiss to your girl or your morning
4) for the first time in your life you have a "six pack" of abs and
very defined quadriceps.
5) stainless steel o rings, snap shackles, and clam cleats are your
idea of the "family jewels".
6) you can never have enough rope.
7) you carry a spare piece of leader line and, when bored at parties
or on the plane or in line at the bank you practice all kinds of
8) you have no less than 327 personal "wind meters" that you glance
at every day on your commute. These include but are not limited to
flags, trees, peeling billboard ads, etc etc.
9) every sunset session is a "religious experience".
10) your local shoe-repair guy knows you on a first name basis and
has operated on your harness 7 times in that many months and you have
pretty much convinced HIM to go buy a kite.
11) you have developed intricate "systems" for everything from
loading the car to laying your lines to cinching the harness to
pulling out bladders and you mentally time yourself every run through
so as to be a lean, mean, kiting machine and not lose one precious
second of time on the water.
12) you are absolutely sure that you will be able to kitesurf until
you are 83...and you'll be jumping higher each year.
13) you have reoccurring fantasies of somehow becoming one of those
lucky bastards that gets to ride all the prototype gear and go on all
the photo shoots.
14) you find it VERY, VERY difficult to get psyched to go play
racquetball or ride your bike or go scuba diving..."I mean, what if
it starts to blow and I'm far from my kite!!??"
15) you're convinced that the human race has finally begun to evolve
again and that WE are leading the pack!
16) work functions are distracting you from constantly watching tree
tops to see how much wind there is even though you cant get to the
17) Every sport you see is compared to kitesurfing.
19) You argue with non-kitesurfing friends that kitesurfing is better
19a) You try so hard to get friends involved, but when it comes down
to it, it costs so much and they don't understand that spending $2000
bucks will re-define fun in their life...and you still can't believe
that a few, although are just as fit as you, have no interest
whatsoever in kitesurfing. They would rather spend all there money on
20) When you have no wind or are bored, you will sit down and study
kitesurfing movies. But when non kitesurfing friends come around they
can't watch it for 5 seconds and you can't understand why...maybe
they are jealous?
21) Your living space is shrinking due to the pile of gear in the
middle of your house where the TV, VCR, dinner table and couch used
to be before selling them to buy another kite.
22) Your control bar is used for hanging coats - when you're not
hanging from it...
23) You have a massive stupid grin on your face whilst hosing the
kite down with water in the garden after an epic session.
24) Afterwards you think a clean kite sat in your garden drying off
is a beautiful sight, while you're girlfriend thinks you've lost your
marbles and wished you treated everything else in the house with the
same care and attention - especially her.
25) Your kite buddies have replaced your lifelong high-school/college
26) You find yourself daydreaming about kitesurfing at all hours of
27) You've only stayed at home for 3 weekends in a 5 month period, 2
of which were because of weddings or birthday parties.
28) You are constantly trying to figure out the wind speed in
anything you see, movies, magazines, "wild on" shows in Belize,
pictures. Saying, "look, there's wind when this was filmed". Your
girlfriend gives you weird looks.
29) You are constantly asking friends who went to beaches etc, who
don't kitesurf, if it was windy when you weren}t there because you
wanted desperately to know if you've missed any kitesurfing...
30) Have replaced dreaming of hot blondes, to landing quadruple back
rolls in Hawaii.
31) Add up what you have spent on kite gear over the years to find
out you could have bought a car already.
32) Everyone close to you reports how the wind was where they were
automatically, you don't even have to ask them anymore.
33) you have gotten at least 2 buddies on to the sport, your brother,
parents or cousins...
34) your grandma knows that scattered whitecaps begin to form at 8
35) you don't get along with pelicans anymore because they have an
uncanny knack for pooping on your kite...
36) you have an epic love/hate relationship with the god of wind and
have considered making sacrifices
37) If the wind is blowing you can work miracles on broken equipment
with chewing gum, duck tape, extra 600 lb Qline and zip ties.
38) You carry a 30 lb. bag of line and rope spools, rings, shackles,
leader line, everywhere you go.
39) when you won't make plans to do ANYTHING else because it MIGHT be
40) When not at the beach you find yourself looking at windcharts
like ten of them - then when you're done about five minutes later
you're back in there just to see if the wind change a knot.
41) you constanly check 20+ websites and forums just to get the
latest scoop on equipment, new video downloads and pictures or just
to hear some guy on the other side of the world flew into a tree and
broke his back. reply to everything that gives you a kick and if not
finding a reason to reply even though you have know idea what's going
on. Then when all else fails making up posts so when you return to
check it in 5 minutes to see if someone has replied.
42) you dream about kitesurfing and wake up drooling.
43) when you're on a crowded beach on a hot sunny day and everyone
else is looking at half-naked girls on the beach but you're too busy
looking at the lovely white caps in the water.....
44) your girlfriend has to sit in the back seat when driving because
your board is on the passenger seat that's reclined - and they both
can't fit in the front
45) Every road trip you take you are spying for new kitesurf spots
relatively close to home: lakes, rivers, open fields for
kitesnowboarding or mountain boarding in the winter
46) You take your gear with you on every romantic vacation or getaway
(if your girl hasn't left you by now)
47) You have bought a couple women's wetsuits so your girlfriend has
no excuse not to try it
48) You have asked all your friends to see if their grandma has a
49) You would rule if Jeopardy ever had a category for "sail makers
50) Your browser's "favorites" are filled with pages of endless wind
meter links and kitesurfing sites.
- Great job!
When I read it I felt like some spy had been checking up on me
and taking notes. ;-)))
--- In email@example.com, "Steve Duggan"
> This was taken from a newsletter by Ian Young....
> You know you're addicted to Kitesurfing when ...
- Me too! Except he seemed to correct my grammar errors! LOL
Just curious, who's Ian Young?
--- In firstname.lastname@example.org, "loco4viento" <loco4viento@y...>
> Great job!
> When I read it I felt like some spy had been checking up on me
> and taking notes. ;-)))
> --- In email@example.com, "Steve Duggan"
> <darce@s...> wrote:
> > This was taken from a newsletter by Ian Young....
> > You know you're addicted to Kitesurfing when ...
- --- In firstname.lastname@example.org, "vytaspass" <surfsup@r...>
> Just curious, who's Ian Young?Hey V,
Ian is a kitesurfer/instructor in Western Australia who was a
regular contributor on the old egroups. Good guy, always helpful,
got a little tired of some of the old egroups bickering so he hasn't
contributed in a few years. On the other hand, if you ever want his
help with anything, he's super nice about it and knows his stuff.
BTW, what's the latest in stacking news from the not-so-windy
Here in the Arizona desert, I've been getting out and flying some
of my kites in the refreshing 104-109 degree sunny weather. :-(((
>>>BTW, what's the latest in stacking news from the not-so-windycity?<<<
Well, actually, not much. I haven't stacked or flown hardly anything
in the last couple weeks. Birthday, graduation parties, blah blah
blah. All getting in the way of my kitesurfing! LOL Then, the
weekend I'm free, Saturday we had "hurricane-force" winds (60kts)
that died down in the evening, but the marine patrol wouldn't let us
out. Then yesterday, we had a training in the AM and the wind died
at noon, right when the training ended! Oh....the cruelty of Mama
Nature! (I did get 30 minutes before training though...)
>>>Here in the Arizona desert, I've been getting out and flying someof my kites in the refreshing 104-109 degree sunny weather<<<
If there's wind in that crazy heat, I'll take it! Better than
wearing a drysuit sitting on the beach, my friend.