Re: More Grabbable Release (was S-arc upstroke techniques)

  • James Buckle
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hey, that looks pretty cool. Wonder how much force it requires to
      punch it out - rear line tension might do it by accident!
      I'm still pretty confident with my shackle but that does look even
      faster.

      JB

      > This was about the Ocean Rodeo bar, right? It's shown at
      > http://www.oceanrodeo.com/products/joystick.shtml
      > and if you scroll down, there's a link to a "real world" video
      (shown being
      > activated by a rider floating in the water).
      >
      > Mel
    • Walton
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
        I have the Ocean Rodeo bar and use it with both my G13 and 18.1 MACH1.

        The bar needs a good "punch" to release, therefore it wont release while
        riding normally. It has all of the standard releases found on todays bars
        plus the punch out system. I love it, the bar is nice - good quality, and
        the system seems fool proof!

        Hope this helps,

        ian
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
          --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "James Buckle" <j.buckle@b...> wrote:
          > Hey, that looks pretty cool. Wonder how much force it requires to
          > punch it out - rear line tension might do it by accident!
          > I'm still pretty confident with my shackle but that does look even
          > faster.

          Might not be easy to adopt if you want a cleat above the boom.

          An alternative (for launching only) is to put a leash from the release
          to your wrist. I use this. As soon as the kite is flying I unclip it.
          I have never used it in an emergency. But it feels more idiot-proof.

          D.
        • tswierkocki
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
            I use a Wichard shackel with a "grab ball"

            20Setups/Airush%20Bar%20Setup/Shackle%20Closeup.JPG

            I don't really like to call it a grab ball since I don't really grab
            it. To release I wrap my hand around the chicken loop line and slide
            my hand down the the shackel. When you reach the shackel the ball
            gets wedged between your hand and the shackel and releases the bar.

            Very simple grab the chicken loop and slide your hand down. I use
            this method everytime I land my kite and it has worked everytime.

            The main point is that you don't need to look down to find the ball
            and then actually "grab" the ball to release.

            -Tom

            --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <merlinhobnob@y...> wrote:
            > --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "James Buckle" <j.buckle@b...>
            wrote:
            > > Hey, that looks pretty cool. Wonder how much force it requires to
            > > punch it out - rear line tension might do it by accident!
            > > I'm still pretty confident with my shackle but that does look
            even
            > > faster.
            > >

            > Might not be easy to adopt if you want a cleat above the boom.
            >
            > An alternative (for launching only) is to put a leash from the
            release
            > to your wrist. I use this. As soon as the kite is flying I unclip
            it.
            > I have never used it in an emergency. But it feels more idiot-
            proof.

            > D.
          • Mel
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2003
              "Dave" <merlinhobnob@...> wrote:

              > Might not be easy to adopt if you want a cleat above the boom.

              That was in reference to the Ocean Rodeo "Punch-Out" bar, but in fact the
              trim line (that goes through the bar, & includes the upper part of the
              punchout system) is simply lark's-headed to the stock webbing adjustment
              strap. In other words, the strap is removable, so you could replace it with
              your own cleat/line adjuster.

              > An alternative (for launching only) is to put a leash from the release
              > to your wrist. I use this. As soon as the kite is flying I unclip it.

              That's a good idea. I used to have a wrist release, but after several
              hundred hours without needing to release at all, I removed it. It would
              have been nice last Wednesday, to prevent my short (but painful) drag. If I
              (not just until the kite is flying), & vice-versa for landing.. It would be
              cool to make it clip to the side of the harness when "not in use" in a
              position where it would still work as an "always in the same place" release.
              Still, the Ocean Rodeo system seems even better, since you don't even need
              to remove one hand from the bar.

              Mel