Re: [arcusers] cut down redundant kites

  • andre krause
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 12:43 AM
      i think it would be easier not to cut out, but to compact / shrink some
      cells..
      what i mean is: if you want to get rid of a cell, simply sew the
      neighbouring cells together. of course, that way the weight would stay
      the same, but weight should not matter for a 6m high wind kite.
      there was some strange kite that did a similiar thing: they had zippers
      that allowed you to expand / shrink the kite area, similiar to the peter
      lynn backpack !

      vjau123 wrote:

      > since my new charger 12 covers windrange of 11, 13 & 15 Guerillas, I
      > been thought it might be possible to cut out a few sections of the 11m
      > to make it a lower aspect ratio equivelant of about a 6m kite. Has
      > anyone tried this before, if so what sort of success?
      > Cheers

    • ssameer wind
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4 6:12 AM
        yea, that was viokite, but i think others have done it too. aaron from this list is familiar with them (owned/has flown them).

        vjau123 wrote:

        > since my new charger 12 covers windrange of 11, 13 & 15 Guerillas, I
        > been thought it might be possible to cut out a few sections of the 11m
        > to make it a lower aspect ratio equivelant of about a 6m kite. Has
        > anyone tried this before, if so what sort of success?
        > Cheers

      • aaronsaude
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4 7:43 AM
          No more Vio.. The zipper was sort of their way of overcoming the way the bridle worked. I think they were too proud to copy others and went with a bridle that only effected the trailing edge and not the angle of attack. The zipper would give you that extra range by zipping the kite smaller. But they quit making kites so the ones I have are rare now.

          I'd think on an arc you'd need to cut that sucker up instead of a zipper idea. Since they don't have bridles to support the load there would be huge forces trying to pull a zipper apart. I've thought about it with these F-arc I have here. I thought I heard Pete did it once with a 12, but it sounds like something I don't currently have time to do. I'd almost think it would be easier to cut sections out of the edges and move them toward the center. But what you end up with in the end could be great, or total crap!

          A.

          --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, ssameer wind <kitewanker@...> wrote:

          > yea, that was viokite, but i think others have done it too. aaron from this
          > list is familiar with them (owned/has flown them).
          >
          > On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:43 AM, andre krause <siralos@...> wrote:
          >

          > > i think it would be easier not to cut out, but to compact / shrink some
          > > cells..
          > > what i mean is: if you want to get rid of a cell, simply sew the
          > > neighbouring cells together. of course, that way the weight would stay
          > > the same, but weight should not matter for a 6m high wind kite.
          > > there was some strange kite that did a similiar thing: they had zippers
          > > that allowed you to expand / shrink the kite area, similiar to the peter
          > > lynn backpack !
          > >

          > > vjau123 wrote:
          > > >

          > > > since my new charger 12 covers windrange of 11, 13 & 15 Guerillas, I
          > > > been thought it might be possible to cut out a few sections of the 11m
          > > > to make it a lower aspect ratio equivelant of about a 6m kite. Has
          > > > anyone tried this before, if so what sort of success?
          > > > Cheers

        • Eric Brackenbury
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4 7:48 AM
            You could add a short webbing and buckles on the outside to shorten the straps and take up the load when zipped up.

            Eric B

            Sorry I did not make the festival Aaron, to much going on :-))

            Eric B

            On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 10:43 AM, aaronsaude <aaronsaude@...> wrote:
            No more Vio..  The zipper was sort of their way of overcoming the way the bridle worked.  I think they were too proud to copy others and went with a bridle that only effected the trailing edge and not the angle of attack.  The zipper would give you that extra range by zipping the kite smaller. But they quit making kites so the ones I have are rare now.

            I'd think on an arc you'd need to cut that sucker up instead of a zipper idea.  Since they don't have bridles to support the load there would be huge forces trying to pull a zipper apart.  I've thought about it with these F-arc I have here.  I thought I heard Pete did it once with a 12, but it sounds like something I don't currently have time to do.  I'd almost think it would be easier to cut sections out of the edges and move them toward the center.  But what you end up with in the end could be great, or total crap!

            A.

            --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, ssameer wind <kitewanker@...> wrote:

            > yea, that was viokite, but i think others have done it too. aaron from this
            > list is familiar with them (owned/has flown them).
            >
            > On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:43 AM, andre krause <siralos@...> wrote:
            >

            > > i think it would be easier not to cut out, but to compact / shrink some
            > > cells..
            > > what i mean is: if you want to get rid of a cell, simply sew the
            > > neighbouring cells together. of course, that way the weight would stay
            > > the same, but weight should not matter for a 6m high wind kite.
            > > there was some strange kite that did a similiar thing: they had zippers
            > > that allowed you to expand / shrink the kite area, similiar to the peter
            > > lynn backpack !
            > >

            > > vjau123 wrote:
            > > >

            > > > since my new charger 12 covers windrange of 11, 13 & 15 Guerillas, I
            > > > been thought it might be possible to cut out a few sections of the 11m
            > > > to make it a lower aspect ratio equivelant of about a 6m kite. Has
            > > > anyone tried this before, if so what sort of success?
            > > > Cheers

            ------------------------------------

            Be sure to tell all your ARC buddies about our group so we will continue to grow! Thank you for all the great ARC information!

            ********READ*************READ***************READ*************

            ARCUSERS FORUM:

            Since February 2002.
            Over 1200 members.
            20,000 messages and counting.
            The most useful arc information on the web.

            http://www.arcusers.com

            ********READ*************READ***************READ*************

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               arcusers-digest@yahoogroups.com
               arcusers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            http://www.therecycledteenager.blogspot.com/

            Leave the Windoze closed :-))
            “Microsoft has a majority market share in the new desktop PC
            marketplace. This is a bug, which Ubuntu (“humanity to others”)is designed to fix”.

            But
            K-eep L-ocktite R-eady
          • andre krause
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4 7:53 AM
              oops ! you are totally right ! you can zip the outer skin, but you
              cannot easily shorten the internal belts/braid/straps.
              and honestly: its much easier to buy a used, small arc for cheap, than
              putting all that work into making yourself a smaller one from a big one
              , right?

              but what about reducing projected area by simply pulling the tips closer
              together with a line running from left to right front-tip (and probably
              on the back, too)?
              for safety to work, you could consider letting run the line through a
              pulley with a stopper ball (with adjustable position.
              this line thing connecting both front tips was already discussed in the
              context of reducing inverts, but in this context you could probably
              adjust projected area to a great extend ?
              imagine the tips only half the distance spaced they would be without the
              line ! half the proj. area! would it still fly ?