Need some help ...

  • kevininyasu
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2009
      Just started kitesurfing, but have been landboarding for a bit and thought I had ok basic skills ...

      Got an old 16m Airush C-kite for the water cos it was cheap and I don't cry when I poke holes in it ... HOWEVER it's damned hard to get riding with. I used a 16m Cabrihna X-bow during a lesson 2 sessions back and I spent all day riding! Back to the C, I can barely get up and only rarely get a run :(

      I'm thinking about getting a bow (X-bow or a Cult or just something more modern) but I have a 19m VenomII in the post - should I try to get surfing with the VII?

      TIA
      Kevin
    • markmcnair88@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2009
        How old is the air rush? Older c kites can be a bit of a handful and are definitely not as well suited for beginners as modern kites.
        The v2 should be perfect for getting out as it is a great kite surfing kite. However a 19 is quite big so as you are still learning be careful on what conditions you go out in.
        Have fun and stay safe.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2009
          --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, markmcnair88@... wrote:

          > How old is the air rush? Older c kites can be a bit of a handful and are definitely not as well suited for beginners as modern kites.
          > The v2 should be perfect for getting out as it is a great kite surfing kite. However a 19 is quite big so as you are still learning be careful on what conditions you go out in.
          > Have fun and stay safe.

          I am still using a VI 19 for teaching friends and is quite a perfect kite to start cruising around and jumping . Much safer and friendly and easyer than a standard C.
          If you are over 70 kg. weigth you can ride comfortable and have fun starting from 12 up to 18 knts.
          Learn the launching tech and how to trim it properly to have good upwind perfo and proper bar pressure (internal straps and depower).
          Same thing for board rescue and water relaunch (always remember to add depower)
          V's are still perfect to practice in low winds.

          When evolved go and test the new Charger before thinking ttubes
        • kevininyasu
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2009
            I think the Airush is a 2005 model ... no doubt it's down to a lack of experience - after all, people learned to ride on gear like this so I should be able to, too - but it's a real dog to get moving with compared to the X-bow. It's so hard to concentrate on getting board speed and planing then at the same time getting the kite to make power AND watch out for the other water users :( the X-bow was so easy I was thinking about carving upwind and maintaining my course, playing with stance, bouncing over the waves etc ...

            I'm a recovering fatty but I still weigh 130kg :( for the moment, anyway ;)
            We get regular blows of 12+ knots here on the lake and I got a 155x45 board ... I just need regular power - the Airush is like a 125cc moto-x bike : all peaky top-end rush suddenly ... I want a better spread of power like my TL1000R V-twin ;)

            Also got a 10m Vortex (for the landboard primarily) and had a session on that. Wind was too light but I got it launched (eventually, didn't realize there was a separate deflate zipper :O ) and zipping around - felt comfy, like my Rebble 5.0 :D

            And I got a Phantom 15 in the mail - if Parcel Farce hasn't lost it ...! I mainly bought that cos the price was good and I LOVE the graphic :D

            Problem is, nobody here has even heard of Peter Lynn let alone had any experience on the kites - it's up to me and what I can glean off the interweb ...!
          • inognol
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2009
              --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "kevininyasu" <kevininyasu@...> wrote:

              > I think the Airush is a 2005 model ... no doubt it's down to a lack of experience - after all, people learned to ride on gear like this so I should be able to, too - but it's a real dog to get moving with compared to the X-bow. It's so hard to concentrate on getting board speed and planing then at the same time getting the kite to make power AND watch out for the other water users :( the X-bow was so easy I was thinking about carving upwind and maintaining my course, playing with stance, bouncing over the waves etc ...
              >
              > I'm a recovering fatty but I still weigh 130kg :( for the moment, anyway ;)
              > We get regular blows of 12+ knots here on the lake and I got a 155x45 board ... I just need regular power - the Airush is like a 125cc moto-x bike : all peaky top-end rush suddenly ... I want a better spread of power like my TL1000R V-twin ;)
              >
              > Also got a 10m Vortex (for the landboard primarily) and had a session on that. Wind was too light but I got it launched (eventually, didn't realize there was a separate deflate zipper :O ) and zipping around - felt comfy, like my Rebble 5.0 :D
              >
              > And I got a Phantom 15 in the mail - if Parcel Farce hasn't lost it ...! I mainly bought that cos the price was good and I LOVE the graphic :D
              >
              > Problem is, nobody here has even heard of Peter Lynn let alone had any experience on the kites - it's up to me and what I can glean off the interweb ...!

              V 19 will have higher low end if compared to X bow 16, 3/4 knts higher.
              So, if you ride in ligth winds and you haad good feelings and fun look for the same or similar.

              Apart from that you should be able to handle a V 19 in a short time.
            • tungsten222
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2009
                Venom 19 is nice and stable, good to learn on. At 130kg, I would say you need some 15+kn of wind to get going.

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2009
                  Ah k yeah the 19 will be fine for u. Was thinking bout wee skinny guys like me (65kg) the venom will be great for the water. I'd keep the phantom for the land cause they arnt brilliant on the water. The vortex would be a great high wind kite thou.
                  The venom should give u what your looking for in terms of spread of power.
                  Peace

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
                    I was hoping y'all'd say something liek that :D
                    ... should be here any day now !!!