Re: O-RING WARNING !! (use 3/16" or 5mm thick ONLY!)

  • kiteboard2000 <kiteboarder@pacbell.net>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
      --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, Mel <kiteboarder@p...> wrote:

      > I've recently been shown a broken 1" (25mm) O-ring, with a 1/8"
      (3mm)
      > thickness...

      I posted this to the "kitesurf" group too. A few good points were
      made, including use of expensive, X-rayed, load tested, warranted
      rings, & avoiding point loading by sharp edges of shackles, etc. I
      suggested that the breakages may simply have been caused by having
      the full load of BOTH front lines on one ring. By attaching one
      front line directly to the top of the adjustment strap (as shown in
      the "consumer" version of my "MelMods" in my group file folder) we
      could effectively DOUBLE the strength of the system.

      Also, by simply switching to the same cheap style but in the 3/16"
      (5mm) thickness, the strength would be increased by about 66%.

      Mel