Re: Venoms on snow

  • jlsquincy
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
      I've had a couple great sessions in the last 2 weeks. I really like
      the Venoms on snow. They just feel much smoother than the Frenzys and
      absorbing gusts has been excellent. The tip about tying it to the ice
      screw, letting it zenith, then grabbing a front line and walking it
      down works like a charm! Thanks!!
      For launching I tried something different yesterday and it will work
      great when on the ice.I let the kite inflate then attach the lines. I
      have the chicken loop locked into a carabiner on the ice screw and
      the leash on a second ice screw for backup. I walk to the kite and
      lify the LE up and walk it directly into the wind. The kite lifts on
      it's own, no tangled lines, and it goes up to autozenith. I walk
      back, get into my board, hook in and go! It really worked nice. This
      wouldn't work in a field however as i wouldn't have any way to set up
      an ice screw. Anyone have any tips on launching and landing in a
      field other than the normal procedures for when at the beach?--- In
      arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "jim_southwick" <jim_southwick@...> wrote:

      > How do you find that your PL kites compare with your old Frenzies in
      > such areas as ease of launching and behavior in gusty conditions?
      > --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "jlsquincy" <jschake@> wrote:
      > >
      > > This is my first year using PL kites on snow (former Frenzy flyer)
      > > My question pertains to landing the kite. With the Frenzy I just
      > landed
      > > the kite and attached the lanyard on my ice screw to the brake
      > > line.This held the kite and assured it wouldn't relaunch- it would
      > just
      > > lay there. What's the program for landing and securing a Venom to
      an
      > > ice screw when I'm ending my session? Assume I'm flying solo and
      don't
      > > have an extra pair of hands to help.
      > > Thanks!

    • mike Brauch
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2009
        I guess there is always the thought of using ground screws (designed for dogs) using the same methodology. Spray paint them florescent orange for visibility. I just might try it myself this spring.

        Mike,