Happy 4th of July

  • i_beasley2338
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008
      have a Arc independance day you lot, and a Synergy weekend!
    • monkeyair
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2008
        --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "i_beasley2338" <i_beasley@...>
        wrote:

        > have a Arc independance day you lot, and a Synergy weekend!

        Oh yeah...just got back from eight days of great kitesurfing down in
        Baja. Eight mile downwinders numerous times a day with some great
        surfing and paragliding daily thrown in. 4OJ was the only no wind day
        with three hours of great surfing with only a couple of buds out. The
        15 syn got me out on a light day in marginal stuff and was a blast
        with teh strapless fish. All eight days no strap as usual. It is a
        bit more difficult in certain conditions strapless relative to a
        stiff sle that has constant pull on your arms to balance off of at
        critial moments however the syn will stay in the air on light wind
        down wind runs easier and the skill on the SLE goes way up after a
        run on the syn. Horses for courses. 25m on syn and 20 m on sle. We
        have hads heaps of days on the 12 syns around here in the last few
        months and that kite rocks. The 15 is my tool for the rockey and
        gusty knarly beaches. Going to have to give the 20 m lines a run on
        it but think it might be a bit short for the snap turning necessary
        to keep the kite out of the drink on the waves. PS. Broke bridles
        again in three areas on two month old sle and did the same with other
        brands. The Syns are all running strong. Bridle wear for people who
        actually kite every day and throw their kites around is DRAMATIC and
        grossly unreported. Not going to see it on park the kite cruisers.
        Constantly replacing sections of bridle on all sle kites we have been
        testing over the last years. We loop the hell out of them going down
        the waves and try to get good motion in all pulleys prior to each
        launch however they frequently get re duncked in the sand and that is
        just unavoidable in self launch and some of our other frequent
        inflate, deflate scenarios in Baja.. Lost a few runs in Baja again
        F'n with a new sle's worn out bridles again...grrrrr.... Only know of
        one broken syn bridle so far and my bud replaced it in a jif with
        some line from local boat shop. Appently compromised by a rock but
        who knows.
      • Steve (Kitepower)
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008
          I think the reply below is from Traig??

          Anyway apart from saying Hi, I wanted to add to what Traig said about
          pulleys and bridle wear on all kites.
          Particularly his comments directed at LEI kites.

          Most LEI kites that incorporate pulleys and bridles that were manufactured
          between the first release of bows in 2006 to now, were made with a faulty
          mounting of the pulley.
          The pulleys were mounted with a larkshead, this cause the pulley and the
          loaded line running through the pulley to be seriously out of alignment,
          causing premature bridle wear and failure and excessive pulley wear and
          breakage.

          Do a search on kiteforum.com for pics of how a pulleys should be mounted.
          I'm short on time right now, cannot post a pic.

          Cya and

          Goodwinds

          Steve McCormack
          www.kitepower.com.au

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2008
            Thanks Steve.
            Would be cool if I could retrofit my trix kites. Love the kites but
            like all the other sle kites we have been using, hate the constant need
            for bridle replacement. Will do a search on the kiteforum.
          • David Kay
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 8, 2008
              Have you tried a Gaastra Jeckyl Traig? The only 4 line SLE I've found that
              doesn't use pulleys.

              I've been using the 10m as my 'one kite quiver' for a few months now - it
              is a very good kite, with a nice smooth arc turn and heaps of lift.

              Cheers

              DK