07 Bar

  • neptune262
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hi all,

      Just picked up a 07 PL Bar to use alongside my 04 PL Bar and have
      changed the leash attachment point to the ring now, instead of the
      material at the back of the landing handle, but was wondering about
      the advantages of running the leash attached to the centre line or the
      side float? Which do people prefer and why?

      Also with regards the top hat - my bit of webbing that slides into the
      top hat has a definite angle (V shape) to it such that if I place the
      two metal pieces against one side of it (inside the V) there is hardly
      any resistance but if I use the other side (back of the V) then the
      force to move the top hat is much greater. Just wondering as people
      have had releases being activated unwanted due to the lack of force
      required to activate it, if other people have found this? I assume
      that when the webbing gets wet then its shape will become softer and
      maybe no added advantage of using the stiffer side - again can anyone
      enlighten me on this??

      All the best for 2008
    • neptune262
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
        Thanks for the reply - obviously the safety release will be on the
        back lines now, but my question is which way do people then run the
        leash - the manual gives two ways - either attached to the centre line
        or attached to the side float. Which of these is better/worse and why?

        Thanks

        --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "lazrunner" <lazrunner@...> wrote:

        > --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "neptune262" <mark_blanchard@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > Just picked up a 07 PL Bar to use alongside my 04 PL Bar and have
        > > changed the leash attachment point to the ring now, instead of the
        > > material at the back of the landing handle, but was wondering about
        > > the advantages of running the leash attached to the centre line or the
        > > side float? Which do people prefer and why?
        >
        > Using rear line is more likely to work when you use your safety,
        > because it is more tangle resistant. It can cause more tangles, as the
        > kites spins more on the back line. Some OLDER arcs don't have enough
        > reinforcing for a rear line release, you can imagine what happens.
        >
        > I use a rear line, because I want it to work every time, with no care
        > for relaunch.
        >

        > > Also with regards the top hat - my bit of webbing that slides into the
        > > top hat has a definite angle (V shape) to it such that if I place the
        > > two metal pieces against one side of it (inside the V) there is hardly
        > > any resistance but if I use the other side (back of the V) then the
        > > force to move the top hat is much greater. Just wondering as people
        > > have had releases being activated unwanted due to the lack of force
        > > required to activate it, if other people have found this? I assume
        > > that when the webbing gets wet then its shape will become softer and
        > > maybe no added advantage of using the stiffer side - again can anyone
        > > enlighten me on this??
        > >
        > > All the best for 2008
        > >

        > The best way to stop unwanted releases is to drill a 1/8inch hole in
        > the top hat rim. Then run a length of that stretch cord you got with
        > your lines, on the grey line holders, through the hole and then
        > through the eye of the pin. Finish by tying it together with the other
        > end with a reef knot, making a loop. It will take some practice to get
        > the right length. You want it to stretch to "almost maximum" when you
        > use the tophat, this will have almost no stretch when it is done up.
        >
        > When you do up the top hat (assembly the safety) make sure the stretch
        > cord is on the opposite side of the pin so the pin can't get "stuck".
        >
        > This works very well and I have had NO accidental releases. I have
        > found the cord helps the pin release, as it gets pulled out with the
        > release action.

      • venomkite
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2008
          I find it working fine both ways. I prefer running the leash through
          the center as it does not get in the way when taking your hands on and
          off the bar. Through the center it still spins very well around the
          chicken loop line so you should not notice it much when riding.