Re: been to the darkside this weekend...

  • mrfloat05
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2005
      I would have to try it first .I am not a big fan of bridled kites
      particularly the landing side of things .In flight fine but its the
      whole package I am interested in.if it is minimal bridles has all
      the in flight venom stuff I like and faster turns and more punch in
      the biggins I'll give it a go for sure .Also if they are cheaper.

      Regards

      Lach

      --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <acolytedave@h...> wrote:

      > Nah, more bridles, more, more!
      >
      > Hehehe, realistically it should be somewhere in between in my
      opinion
      > - beginner kites like the vortex shouldn't have bridles, its
      pointless.

      > But the more performance oriented kites should have them -
      especially
      > the higher aspect ratio ones. But that's just what i think.
      >

      > I have a question lach - would you use a bridled kite over a none
      > bridled one if it let you take out a kite size smaller (with the
      > turning benefits it gives)?
      >
      > Spiky Dave
      >
      > --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "mrfloat05" <mrfloat05@y...>
      wrote:

      > > Personally I hope they keep the arc style simple ,thats its
      appeal.i
      > > am sure you will see more power from the arc at some point in
      > > time .no bridles .
      > > i would say that a bridled kite will come out with a pooload of
      > > power and stability close to the arc but still streets ahead of
      > > anything else in that dept at least.
      > > They need to get this stuff out ASAP and not just give little
      > > hints .Having a kite out SOON will egain spark interest in their
      > > exciting kites.I know their are problems but the arc design that
      has
      > > been in the venom has brought alot of joy to alot of people and
      has
      > > made the learning experience more safe and fun particularly here
      > > where in summer the option is out in the surf .
      > >
      > > Cheers
      > >
      > > Lach--- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent Helmstaedt"
      > > <brenth@s...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm not so interested in the idea of bigger arcs these days.
      > > think we learned a few things
      > > > about limitations with the G2 22.
      > > >
      > > > I really hope development moves toward more power from smaller
      > > kites so we can have the
      > > > fun of a 13m with the power of a bigger kite. The hints by PL
      > > senior on breakthroughs in
      > > > understanding will hopefully lead us all in a better direction
      > > than just making em bigger. He
      > > > says he will start off with the C-Quad. That thing has
      buckets of
      > > power for its size! What
      > > > about adding a rigid leading edge to an arc so you can
      increase
      > > its span by giving it bridal
      > > > toe points for a minimal bridal such as the bow concept.
      Maybe a

    • DeniseSEWA@Aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2005
        In a message dated 10/31/2005 11:23:19 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
        brenth@... writes:

        I really hope development moves toward more power from smaller kites so we
        can have the
        fun of a 13m with the power of a bigger kite.

        Yep, I really dont understand why PL wasnt able to maintain the power of the
        S-arcs in later designs, I still fly a heavily modified 1510 as a low wind
        kite which has as much or more power than the V-19 although it still turns
        rather slow even with all the mods and doesnt have the range, if I could get it
        to turn like my V-16 it would be killer.
        Denise

        http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html

      • Greg
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2005
          I have had a few sessions recently where I used my high wind kite in
          moderate winds with a big board (136x47.5) Huuuuuge fun. Blast around
          at great speed. Great upwind performance. Pop in downloop transitions
          whenever you want. It's a big giggle. The only thing missing is the
          jumps are a little lame and the landings can be kind of hard.
        • Brent Helmstaedt
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 1, 2005
            --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <Greg.Walsh@b...> wrote:

            > I have had a few sessions recently where I used my high wind kite in
            > moderate winds with a big board (136x47.5) Huuuuuge fun. Blast around
            > at great speed. Great upwind performance. Pop in downloop transitions
            > whenever you want. It's a big giggle. The only thing missing is the
            > jumps are a little lame and the landings can be kind of hard.

            What is your high wind kite? I'm waiting on a bigish muttant (142x43) and hope to really
            extend the bottom end of my V10. Well I hope it extends the bottom end of my V16 too but
            really dream of getting out on the 10m a lot earlier. With my current board I only go to the
            ten when I am certain of being powered so I end up wrestling with the 16 at times when I
            should have put up the ten. Maybe I just need a 13!
          • David Purdy
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 1, 2005
              --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, DeniseSEWA@A... wrote:

              > In a message dated 10/31/2005 11:23:19 AM US Mountain Standard
              Time,
              > brenth@s... writes:
              >

              > I really hope development moves toward more power from smaller
              kites so we
              > can have the
              > fun of a 13m with the power of a bigger kite.
              >

              > Yep, I really dont understand why PL wasnt able to maintain the
              power of the
              > S-arcs in later designs, I still fly a heavily modified 1510 as a
              low wind
              > kite which has as much or more power than the V-19 although it
              still turns
              > rather slow

              Right on. I got a lot of respect if you are flying the 1510. I
              thought is was my all time worst kite. Although i saw one last
              winter that was modified and it flew pretty well.

              i admit, i went to the darkside, full bore. Simply because i found a
              kite with the power of the V16 that turns faster than the V13.

              So i hope that PL makes some dramatic moves in improving low end also.

              David
            • Greg
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 1, 2005
                --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent Helmstaedt" <brenth@s...>

                > What is your high wind kite? I'm waiting on a bigish muttant
                (142x43) and hope to really >

                My strong high wind kite is an antiquated Boom Vector 7.5m bridled
                foil. It has a bit more top end than a V10 (although not as stable) and
                runs fairly close to the bottom end of a 12m tube.

                I guess a V13 would be a good equivalent.

                I think my specific kite is not important. The important thing is to
                have a fast flying fast turning kite, ride fast, generate plenty of
                board and kite speed and go for power moves on the transitions.
              • Mud
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 2, 2005
                  Yup, the 1510 got a bad rap. That thing either got me up and going
                  (with a Mutant), or nobody was out on the water without 20+meter
                  behemoths.

                  I was quite surprised by the lack of lowend on subsequent kites
                  (F16, G18). I wish I had kept the 1510 and added a couple of wedges
                  to juice it up a bit.

                  c'est la vie

                  --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, "David Purdy" <purdyd@y...> wrote:

                  > --- In arcusers@yahoogroups.com, DeniseSEWA@A... wrote:
                  > >

                  > > In a message dated 10/31/2005 11:23:19 AM US Mountain Standard
                  > Time,
                  > > brenth@s... writes:
                  > >

                  > > I really hope development moves toward more power from smaller
                  > kites so we
                  > > can have the
                  > > fun of a 13m with the power of a bigger kite.
                  > >

                  > > Yep, I really dont understand why PL wasnt able to maintain the
                  > power of the
                  > > S-arcs in later designs, I still fly a heavily modified 1510 as
                  > low wind
                  > > kite which has as much or more power than the V-19 although it
                  > still turns
                  > > rather slow
                  >
                  > Right on. I got a lot of respect if you are flying the 1510. I
                  > thought is was my all time worst kite. Although i saw one last
                  > winter that was modified and it flew pretty well.
                  >
                  > i admit, i went to the darkside, full bore. Simply because i
                  found a
                  > kite with the power of the V16 that turns faster than the V13.
                  >
                  > So i hope that PL makes some dramatic moves in improving low end
                  also.

                  > David

                • sib123nj
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 2, 2005
                    the darkside is not tring to go kiting...
                    the dark side is floundering around on a 7'2"funboard in 15knots
                    sideshore and 2-3ft slop( and thinking you are ripping
                    the darkside is complaining about the lack of surf when its
                    BLOWIN!!!!
                    the darkside is sitting around waiting for a swell when its 20-30
                    offshore...
                    flying an lei is just a way of exploring the many facets of the
                    force...
                    i'm one of the only PL users in my area, although this forum has
                    shown me that i am not alone.
                    ok, im off my soap-box
                    off to the beach