New file uploaded to arcology

  • arcology@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the arcology
      group.

      File : /Modern Architecture/P2040004.jpg
      Uploaded by : ldallara@...
      Description : Useless Columns

      You can access this file at the URL

      Regards,

      ldallara@...
    • arcology@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2001
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the arcology
        group.

        File : /earthquake.JPG
        Uploaded by : ldallara@...
        Description : Earth quake damage

        You can access this file at the URL

        Regards,

        ldallara@...
      • Randall Hunt
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2001
          >a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the arcology
          >group.
          >
          > File : /earthquake.JPG
          > Uploaded by : ldallara@...
          > Description : Earth quake damage

          Lou, I'm curious to hear why the photo? Should we be afraid of arcology
          because earthquakes have damaged brick buildings? Have I missed something?
        • Lou Dallara
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 6, 2001
            Earthquakes are an important design consideration in any structure, but especially a 3d Arcology.
            >a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the arcology
            >group.
            >
            >  File        : /earthquake.JPG
            >  Uploaded by : ldallara@...
            >  Description : Earth quake damage

            Lou, I'm curious to hear why the photo? Should we be afraid of arcology
            because earthquakes have damaged brick buildings? Have I missed something?

            The Danish Association for Sustainable Communities
            (LØS)

            http://www.ecovillages.org/denmark/network/danish/English/index_engelsk.html

          • Randall Hunt
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2001
              >Earthquakes are an important design consideration in any structure, but
              >especially a 3d Arcology.

              Whether the structure needs to be rigid or resilient, it must withstand two
              types of earth movement. There is the sudden, jolting, buffeting of
              earthquake, and there is the slow but irresistible force of gradual earth
              movement. The latter is only significant because of the great size of the
              foundations and the long life span of the structure. Horizontally dispersed
              cities easily accommodate earth movement but a support structure would have
              to bear it as a unit. In this respect, geologic conditions may mitigate
              against very large structures. Engineering a structure to ride a movable
              foundation would be unconventional, to say the least.

              Randall Hunt

              "My objective is to articulate a means by which an arcological city
              for a resident population of 25-30,000 can be built in the world
              as it is today." http://www.wildapache.net/randhunt
            • rhkratzse@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 6, 2001
                In a message dated 3/6/01 10:27:14 AM, randhunt@... writes:
                << Engineering a structure to ride a movable

                foundation would be unconventional, to say the least.

                Maybe not so unconventional, Randall. The brand-new $1 billion (that's with
                a "B") International Terminal of the San Francisco Airport rests on "shocks"
                if you want to call them that, or roller bearings, which literally allow the
                building to roll around on steel balls in spherical bearings so that the
                building itself doesn't have to be made strong enough to resist the actual
                ground motion. It's called "base-isolation" and this is the largest
                structure so equipped. They've installed similar base isolation fittings to
                a number of large old structure, such as the Salt Lake City City Hall. Some
                such bearing are composed of large stacks of rubber and steel with a lead
                core as a dampener. A few freeway overpasses in the San Francisco Bay Area
                are similarly isolated to hopefully reduce damage in a severe earthquake.
                Personally, I have designed a steel-framed storage mezzanine floor in a
                warehouse in which the columns are just not fastened to the foundation
                system, allowing them to bounce around and shift as much as 18" in any
                direction without impacting the surrounding walls--at the owner's request. I
                don't know if any base-isolation structures have been built in "moderate"
                earthquake zones like Arizona, but they're becoming increasingly common in
                "strong" earthquake zones like California, though only in major structures.

                Ralph Hueston Kratz
                Richmond CA
              • arcology@yahoogroups.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 15, 2003
                  Hello,

                  a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the arcology
                  group.

                  File : /Arcology Manual Example.jpg
                  Uploaded by : vincent_loeff <vincentloeff@...>
                  Description : Example of Arcology Game Manual. Will it do? Any suggestions?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
                    Hello,

                    a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the arcology
                    group.

                    File : /Sustainable.Tucson.doc
                    Uploaded by : unno_2002 <unno_2002@...>
                    Description : Sustainable Tucson: Seeking Feedback

                    unno_2002 <unno_2002@...>