RE: [arcology] Making Arcology happen

  • Louis Dallara
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2000

      [Louis Dallara]
      A lot of food for thought.. I will digest your words through out my day.
      Make it a good day and thank you for the food.
      Lou

       - While eating ice cream with friends recently I noticed water vapor rising
      as hot chocolate syrup was poured onto the frozen desert.  I asked:  "What
      is this that causes frozen water to turn immediately into vapor?"  My
      step-father-in-law (a chemist) replied, "sublimation."

      My mind immediately attempted to link this process of a chemical change of
      state to the changes we arcologists are attempting.  As I understand it,
      sublimation of a desert is caused by a frozen or solid mater being heated so
      fast that rather than the ice cream melting and slowly evaporating, the
      intermediate (liquid) phase is virtually skipped as ice turns to water
      vapor.
       Randy Wade