[arcology] Re: Making a big difference

  • Ruth-Claire Weintraub
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2000
      Perhaps a reason "arcology" as an idea has not spread (like the
      _100th Monkey_, if you recall that as perhaps an idealized version of
      Gladwell's directive) is due to the fact that it has not been
      understood as a concept. It has not been "sold" as a synthesis of
      "architecture+ecology" driven by the same ideas that drive
      "sustainable development," "sustainable transportation," i.e.
      bike-friendly, people-friendly, park-friendly, historical
      conservation/restoration friendly, etc. It appears as "radical
      alternative," has not been tested, has no foundation in experience,
      seems to attract people who prefer a science fiction and fantasy edge
      on city life to the hard business of building for and with real
      people with real needs.

      I say this having known Soleri for almost 40 years and believing that
      "arcology" is like a watch-word can be the watch-word) for most (if
      not all) environmentally-friendly initiatives and that Arcosanti can
      become a center (if not THE center) for discussion and development of
      those ideas, those forces.

      An inner nexus is needed, a place people can come together to develop
      their vision of how earth may, how the planet might, endure.
      Arcosanti could (and -- I believe -- SHOULD) be such a locus but the
      single-structure scheme as The Solution To Urban Sprawl surely will
      have to be de-emphasized. Not given up on. But seen as one kind of
      possibility among many "arcological" solutions to urban sprawl and
      waste, over-consumption, etc.