[arcology] Re: One trillion people??? (was Actually, Earth's human carrying capacity is One Trillion)

  • Lou Dallara
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 1998
      Ripley's Believe it or not!
      Lou

      Re: One trillion people??? (was Re: Actually, Earth's human carrying
      capacity is One Trillion)

      ----

      From Just Wondering <jwas@...>
      Organization Deja News - The Leader in Internet Discussion
      Date Mon, 30 Nov 1998 02:51:53 GMT
      Newsgroups sci.bio.ecology,sci.environment
      Message-ID <73t186$79s$1@...>
      References 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

      ----

      In article <73p3tv$4dd$2@...>,
      Bloody Viking <nospam@...> wrote:

      > But you never did reply about the undesirable fact that living in an
      > archology would be like living on a Navy ship.

      The word is apparently "arcology".
      I have no idea, and little interest, what life in it would be like.

      The word is a hybrid between "architecture" and "ecology".
      Let green econuts discuss it between themselves.
      It has nothing to do with me.

      As a public service, I'll quote, with thanks, two authors
      from rec.arts.sf.written:

      [Elf Sternberg wrote:]
      | I have a copy of his seminal book, "Arcology: City In The
      | Image Of Man" (if you're an s/f writer, this is a fabulous book to
      | own) and there's a very good reason why the hippies got ahold of
      | "ecology"; reading Soleri's own words, he sounds like one. Consider:

      | Life's bulk are negated when megalopoly and suburbia are taken as
      | the ecological bulk... Antivector forces collect themselves in
      | the unlimited resevoirs of entropy. In this context utopia is
      | the disavowal of any vectorial urge that might exist in the
      | species of man and a settlement for something less than
      | engrossing.

      | The whole book is much like that.

      Ughh...

      Lou Dallara PCB Design Engineer
      "Civilization is a limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities" -
      Mark Twain
      http://www.vramp.net/~ldallara/