Paolo Soleri resigns from Cosanti

  • George Kosmides
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 15, 2011

      This is the official press release from Cosanti Foundation from yesterday. I was just at Arcosanti 2 weeks ago and Paolo is still doing well and working on some exciting designs and a really compelling book. Jeff is very capable and an exciting new phase in operations at Cosanti and Arcosanti.

      -George

      Cosanti Foundation

      Arcosanti

      HC 74  Box 4136

      Mayer, AZ  86333

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 14, 2011

      New Leadership at Cosanti Foundation

      Arcosanti, Arizona, July 14, 2011- The Cosanti Foundation in Paradise Valley, Arizona

      announced today that its founder, internationally renowned architect Paolo Soleri, has retired as

      its President and CEO.

      "There are other things that I want to accomplish," said the 92-year-old Soleri. "I am ready to

      leave the management of the Foundation and its primary project – the urban laboratory

      Arcosanti – to the next generation."

      That generation will now be led by Boston architect Jeff Stein, AIA, who has been elected the

      Foundation's new President by its Board of Trustees. Stein, a longtime Soleri collaborator, leaves

      his post as dean of the Boston Architectural College, the oldest and largest independent college

      of design in the nation, to accept the position in Arizona.

      “Preserving the enormous Soleri legacy while continuing to strengthen the Foundation as it

      pursues new areas of urban research is on our agenda ahead," said Stein. "All of us connected

      with Paolo and the Foundation are looking forward to a new era in its work."

      Arcosanti, an urban laboratory under construction in the high desert of central

      Arizona, is a model urban environment that is striving to reduce humankind's

      ecological impact on the earth.

      ###

    • anne tonks
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 15, 2011
        Wow!! so Jeff is going there full time.  Looks like some changes coming up.  He's a good guy and I look forward to what is next.  Anne

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 15, 2011
          Anne,

          My understanding is that Jeff Stein would not be full time. It was not clear to those of us who were at Morning Meeting about the time commitment, but obviously Jeff is making it a major allocation in his life to this project and that he brings a considerable reputation as Dean of BAC to the effort. Mary at Morning Meeting made a reference about him spending about 3 out of every 4 weeks at Arcosanti/Cosanti. It was not clear whether he would live onsite at Arcosanti or Cosanti and what his actual duties or job description would be, esp considering that Paolo who he is replacing had not really had a clear work schedule. So all this is very interesting and intriguing to us, but still a lot of questions remain about the impact in our lives here and in terms of how the foundation is run. For example what exactly does the President of CF do, who does he report to, who serves under him, will he remain on the board of CF and as Chair and what is his ability in terms of implementation of any decisions he makes for the foundation?

          This was a shock to all of us here as it was abruptly announced at Morning Meeting on Wed. However I would say that many of us here are happy to see some new blood in a leadership team - so it was a pleasant shock. Indeed I am not aware in the history of project of a time when Paolo selected someone to basically replace him and take on the full leadership position as "ruler of Arcosanti." I would say that the fact that Paolo could do this while he was still alive says a lot about his ability to accept and allow a new leadership culture and thinking to emerge while he is still alive. I think that takes some courage and humility. The story of Tallesin West and the foundation that runs it is testament to what happens when a successor is not clearly designated before the death of the founder. There was discussion by the CF board on how to avoid this scenario which according to several accounts was quite an energy sapping experience for Tallesin.

          The result that many of us hope for is to stimulate a real process and strategy to move us towards a more aggressive posture towards trying to reach the goals of building some prototype living system that would bring us closer to an practical, compelling and working Arcology model here at Arcosanti. Paolo designed a unique message to humanity that resonated with us and that was what brought us to Arcosanti - the idea that we need to do something to reverse prevailing trends associated with modern society such as consumerism and suburbia. I don't see that core concern as having receded in the 40 years since Arcosanti has been created, it has only grown into a more compelling matter that needs to be addressed in some practical way in our lives as modern people. Let us look forward to this leadership change as possibly a step to move the project forward in a way that can make it something that all 7000+ of alumi of Arcosanti as well as those who also participated in Cosanti over all these years can more actively engage in.

          I hope we can consider in this process of this leadership change, how Arcosanti and the vision that drives it, can be made into a compelling model of sustainability - a demonstration of inspirational appropriate technologies configured into a compact Arcology urban "form factor".

          More important than the technology and architecture though is the the idea that the people who participate in this experiment and who are the stakeholders in the process are inspired and empowered in the process so that they can contribute as fully as possible in its development. People who are inspired truly and passionately by an idea or process are the best kind of advertising, PR or marketing than any organization can have.

          Jeff Buderer
          Arcosanti

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 5, 2012
            There is a new documentary being produced and filmed at Arcosanti. It takes a fresh look at Soleri and his process of design. The project is being funded at Kickstarter. Check it out.

            http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1155960840/before-form-the-creative-world-of-paolo-soleri

            -George
          • anne tonks
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 5, 2012
              Hi George:  I have contributed.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  Anne