Designing hybrid renewable energy systems

  • LiliF
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24 2:53 PM
      Dear friends,
      I've never posted to this group before but I was at Arcosanti eons ago. I witnessed the famous fire that burned 400 cars while their owners were at the vault listening to a concert :-)

      At the risk of sounding overly commercial, I wanted to alert Arcosanti aficionados to HOMER Energy (www.homerenergy.com), software created at NREL that helps people design community-scale hybrid power systems. Going through ancient email I saw that someone had mentioned the Desertec Foundation; a remote research station they funded in Namibia used HOMER to plan their energy system.

      The software is still free but NREL has spun it off to a start-up which in the interest of full disclosure, I'm working for part-time. I suddenly realized that it would be interesting for an Arcosanti-scale community. You can take turbines, PV, generators, batteries, flywheels and more - you name it - plug it into the software, and it tells you the most cost-effective configuration for your location.

      If you enjoy it, join the community and share how you're using it.

      all the best, Lili Francklyn