Retrofit Suburbs? was Re: [CNU Orlando] Chris Leinberger at Rollins College next Fri.

  • Greg Pettengill
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2009
      Rick,

      Thank you for bringing this to my attention, it was awesome!

      CNU members, other Friends

      The thing that stands out most in my mind about Dr. Leinberger's presentation, was the slide he showed about CO2 being emitted in far greater quantities from outlying suburban areas of Chicago rather then from the city core.   My feeling is that it depicts the perplexing challenge that we face in a most graphic and comprehensible way.

      As it appears to me now, there is no way the rising tide of CO2 emissions will be turned around unless the vast majority of existing and future suburbs are made to be walkable for most of the activities of their residents.   Of course, it is highly improbable that this will happen, but since it's not much fun to think about that eventuality, I am hoping that we can talk about it as thou it might.

      Putting everything else aside for the moment, how do you think existing suburbs might be retrofitted, rather than rebuilt, to emit CO2 close to the rate of the city core?

      Best Regards
      Greg Pettengill

      Cote' Art & Engineering, Inc.
      website: coteart.com
      (321)420-9037 Land Line
      (321)269-7587 Cell

      On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Richard Geller <rgeller@...> wrote:

      Thought you'd have an interest in this...

      11:00 on Friday October 23rd, Chris Leinberger will speak as part of a
      panel at Tiedke Hall Rollins College.

      Here's a link to his bio at the Brookings Institution:

      http://www.brookings.edu/experts/l/leinbergerc.aspx

      Here's a link to a virtual map of Rollins:

      http://tars.rollins.edu/tour/index_flash.htm

      Rick

      Richard S. Geller
      Fishback Dominick