arcosanti.com....?

  • Franz Nahrada
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
      just a morning typing mistake brought me to that emerging domain.

      Arcosanti Homes, Inc.

      the logo shows a single family house and a leaf.

      anybody knows the background?

      is suburbia going to enclose arcosanti?

      or is is just another kind of namejacking?

      or else?

      curious

      Franz
    • Christian Straight
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
        No idea about the background, this will become an on-going problem. Not
        sure if anybody has a copyrights on the "Arcosanti" word...Cosanti
        Foundation actually needs to jump on this to stem the misrepresentation
        (unless it's being sanctioned by them). Leaving it unchallenged will
        establish precedence and make it more difficult to stop later.

        Christian

        Franz Nahrada wrote:

        > just a morning typing mistake brought me to that emerging domain.
        >
        > Arcosanti Homes, Inc.
        >
        > the logo shows a single family house and a leaf.
        >
        > anybody knows the background?
        >
        > is suburbia going to enclose arcosanti?
        >
        > or is is just another kind of namejacking?
        >
        > or else?
        >
        > curious
        >
        > Franz

      • Jeff Buderer
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
          Franz

          its probably somebody's idea of a joke.

          There is a 3000 acre buffer around the core arco property which is 700 acres or so.

          The buffer is land leased from the Ariz state gov. It is as I understand it a long term lease.

          Of course beyond that is Cordes Junction and Cordes Lakes which are already single family home developments.

          Possibly the person using that name is not even aware of what it really represents.

          Jeff

          On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 10:43 PM, Franz Nahrada <f.nahrada@...> wrote:

          just a morning typing mistake brought me to that emerging domain.

          Arcosanti Homes, Inc.

          the logo shows a single family house and a leaf.

          anybody knows the background?

          is suburbia going to enclose arcosanti?

          or is is just another kind of namejacking?

          or else?

          curious

          Franz

        • anne tonks
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
            Here is the name of the president of the company located in Papillion Ne braska.  Any one know if he is an alum?  Scott Tafoya, President

            Anne

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
              He's in Nebraska. And it looks like he's had the domain for a few years.
              His homes don't look much like arcologies...
              http://healthandenergy.com/arcosanti_homes.htm
              - John
              --------

              Domain Name: ARCOSANTI.COM
              Registrar: REGISTER.COM, INC.
              Whois Server: whois.register.com

              Registrant:
              Arcosanti Homes, Inc.
              Scott Tafoya
              11827 S 52nd Street
              Papillion, NE 68133-4756

              Email: arcosanti@... <https://helpdesk.islandnet.com/email.php?cmd=compose&to=arcosanti@...>

              Registrar Name....: REGISTER.COM, INC.
              Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
              Registrar Homepage: www.register.com <http://www.register.com>

              Domain Name: arcosanti.com

              Created on..............: Thu, Nov 11, 1999
              Expires on..............: Sat, Nov 11, 2017
              Record last updated on..: Fri, Nov 07, 2008
            • Ralph Kratz
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                So true!  I can't believe that Arco hasn't registered *all* of its "trademarks."  a few years ago a theater chain used a spitting" image of Tetrahedron in its popcorn ads.

                Ralph

                Sent from my iPhone 3G

                Franz Nahrada wrote:

                > just a morning typing mistake brought me to that emerging domain.
                >
                > Arcosanti Homes, Inc.
                >
                > the logo shows a single family house and a leaf.
                >
                > anybody knows the background?
                >
                > is suburbia going to enclose arcosanti?
                >
                > or is is just another kind of namejacking?
                >
                > or else?
                >
                > curious
                >
                > Franz

              • Louis Dallara
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                  Something so simple and it never gets done... oh well

                  I remember that the they were out raged at someone sell a cd
                  of images called "City of the Future" that were taken from the slides that were sold in the cafe.

                  --- In arcology@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Kratz <rhkratzse@...> wrote:

                  > So true! I can't believe that Arco hasn't registered *all* of its
                  > "trademarks." a few years ago a theater chain used a spitting" image
                  > of Tetrahedron in its popcorn ads.
                  >
                  > Ralph
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone 3G
                  >
                  > On Aug 1, 2009, at 11:09 PM, Christian Straight <cls@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >

                  > > No idea about the background, this will become an on-going problem.
                  > > Not
                  > > sure if anybody has a copyrights on the "Arcosanti" word...Cosanti
                  > > Foundation actually needs to jump on this to stem the
                  > > misrepresentation
                  > > (unless it's being sanctioned by them). Leaving it unchallenged will
                  > > establish precedence and make it more difficult to stop later.
                  > >
                  > > Christian
                  > >
                  > > Franz Nahrada wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > just a morning typing mistake brought me to that emerging domain.
                  > > >
                  > > > Arcosanti Homes, Inc.
                  > > >
                  > > > the logo shows a single family house and a leaf.
                  > > >
                  > > > anybody knows the background?
                  > > >
                  > > > is suburbia going to enclose arcosanti?
                  > > >
                  > > > or is is just another kind of namejacking?
                  > > >
                  > > > or else?
                  > > >
                  > > > curious
                  > > >
                  > > > Franz

                • George Kosmides
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 15, 2011

                    This is the official press release from Cosanti Foundation from yesterday. I was just at Arcosanti 2 weeks ago and Paolo is still doing well and working on some exciting designs and a really compelling book. Jeff is very capable and an exciting new phase in operations at Cosanti and Arcosanti.

                    -George

                    Cosanti Foundation

                    Arcosanti

                    HC 74  Box 4136

                    Mayer, AZ  86333

                    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 14, 2011

                    New Leadership at Cosanti Foundation

                    Arcosanti, Arizona, July 14, 2011- The Cosanti Foundation in Paradise Valley, Arizona

                    announced today that its founder, internationally renowned architect Paolo Soleri, has retired as

                    its President and CEO.

                    "There are other things that I want to accomplish," said the 92-year-old Soleri. "I am ready to

                    leave the management of the Foundation and its primary project – the urban laboratory

                    Arcosanti – to the next generation."

                    That generation will now be led by Boston architect Jeff Stein, AIA, who has been elected the

                    Foundation's new President by its Board of Trustees. Stein, a longtime Soleri collaborator, leaves

                    his post as dean of the Boston Architectural College, the oldest and largest independent college

                    of design in the nation, to accept the position in Arizona.

                    “Preserving the enormous Soleri legacy while continuing to strengthen the Foundation as it

                    pursues new areas of urban research is on our agenda ahead," said Stein. "All of us connected

                    with Paolo and the Foundation are looking forward to a new era in its work."

                    Arcosanti, an urban laboratory under construction in the high desert of central

                    Arizona, is a model urban environment that is striving to reduce humankind's

                    ecological impact on the earth.

                    ###

                  • anne tonks
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 15, 2011
                      Wow!! so Jeff is going there full time.  Looks like some changes coming up.  He's a good guy and I look forward to what is next.  Anne

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 15, 2011
                        Anne,

                        My understanding is that Jeff Stein would not be full time. It was not clear to those of us who were at Morning Meeting about the time commitment, but obviously Jeff is making it a major allocation in his life to this project and that he brings a considerable reputation as Dean of BAC to the effort. Mary at Morning Meeting made a reference about him spending about 3 out of every 4 weeks at Arcosanti/Cosanti. It was not clear whether he would live onsite at Arcosanti or Cosanti and what his actual duties or job description would be, esp considering that Paolo who he is replacing had not really had a clear work schedule. So all this is very interesting and intriguing to us, but still a lot of questions remain about the impact in our lives here and in terms of how the foundation is run. For example what exactly does the President of CF do, who does he report to, who serves under him, will he remain on the board of CF and as Chair and what is his ability in terms of implementation of any decisions he makes for the foundation?

                        This was a shock to all of us here as it was abruptly announced at Morning Meeting on Wed. However I would say that many of us here are happy to see some new blood in a leadership team - so it was a pleasant shock. Indeed I am not aware in the history of project of a time when Paolo selected someone to basically replace him and take on the full leadership position as "ruler of Arcosanti." I would say that the fact that Paolo could do this while he was still alive says a lot about his ability to accept and allow a new leadership culture and thinking to emerge while he is still alive. I think that takes some courage and humility. The story of Tallesin West and the foundation that runs it is testament to what happens when a successor is not clearly designated before the death of the founder. There was discussion by the CF board on how to avoid this scenario which according to several accounts was quite an energy sapping experience for Tallesin.

                        The result that many of us hope for is to stimulate a real process and strategy to move us towards a more aggressive posture towards trying to reach the goals of building some prototype living system that would bring us closer to an practical, compelling and working Arcology model here at Arcosanti. Paolo designed a unique message to humanity that resonated with us and that was what brought us to Arcosanti - the idea that we need to do something to reverse prevailing trends associated with modern society such as consumerism and suburbia. I don't see that core concern as having receded in the 40 years since Arcosanti has been created, it has only grown into a more compelling matter that needs to be addressed in some practical way in our lives as modern people. Let us look forward to this leadership change as possibly a step to move the project forward in a way that can make it something that all 7000+ of alumi of Arcosanti as well as those who also participated in Cosanti over all these years can more actively engage in.

                        I hope we can consider in this process of this leadership change, how Arcosanti and the vision that drives it, can be made into a compelling model of sustainability - a demonstration of inspirational appropriate technologies configured into a compact Arcology urban "form factor".

                        More important than the technology and architecture though is the the idea that the people who participate in this experiment and who are the stakeholders in the process are inspired and empowered in the process so that they can contribute as fully as possible in its development. People who are inspired truly and passionately by an idea or process are the best kind of advertising, PR or marketing than any organization can have.

                        Jeff Buderer
                        Arcosanti

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 5, 2012
                          There is a new documentary being produced and filmed at Arcosanti. It takes a fresh look at Soleri and his process of design. The project is being funded at Kickstarter. Check it out.

                          http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1155960840/before-form-the-creative-world-of-paolo-soleri

                          -George
                        • anne tonks
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 5, 2012
                            Hi George:  I have contributed.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  Anne