Freeform Construction

  • Greg Pettengill
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2008
      I'm pretty sure that this will be of interest to many on this list.   I sure would enjoy getting your thoughts on it!:-)

      Best Regards
      Greg Pettengill

      On 4/29/08, Rupert Soar <R.C.Soar@...> wrote:

      As a quick update then………..the TERMES project is approaching its end – but is by no means over.  In its simplest form we applied the single largest study to termites and their mounds.  We tackled the problem from two directions.  The top-down approach satisfied our humanistic urge to 'see it all'.  This was achieved through countless mound castings of internal regions and, of course, the 3D scanning process we applied.  Top-down is superficial but gives context.  To really understand a 'super-organism' you need to link this with a bottom-up study of behaviour and processes as components of homeostasis, which we performed also.

      Linking this to the chain - The mound building Termites are 'aliens on our own planet'.  Evolving symbiotically with a fungus which they farm for food and binder (for mortar), they had to find a mechanism by which they could survive the encroaching savannah and receding forests some 50 million years ago.  The termite mound is the result.  It allows themselves and the fungus to thrive in conditions similar to the ancient forests from which they both came [before termites and fungus, trees that died in the ancient forests did not decompose and so could go on to form coal].  As a study of colonization or building in arid or hostile territories we have a lot to learn.  The mound is an extension of homeostatic physiology and components of biological function are 'outsourced' by the termites themselves.  Termites outsource reproduction to the single male and female, they outsource digestion to the fungus and they outsource respiration to the mound.  The mound sits between them and death and must respond dynamically to external and internal changes alike.  The materials they build respond to changes in moisture, heat, pressure and are 'smart'.  The ventilation/respiratory system functions in the same manner as our own.

      We now understand termite behaviour and how a dynamic habitat is both built and emerges.  A habitat must be adapted closely to the occupant (more closely than our homes are).  Walls become 'membranes, not barriers' to energy flows.  It's the building itself which interacts with the environment, it is an insolation panel, a heat exchanger, a diffusion structure, a solar panel just by 'being there', with topological structures which induce resonant and tidal ventilation phenomena.

      Of course, it's all about large-scale rapid manufacturing, as the only method to produce such complex dynamics within a structure [out of interest there's now three systems up and running- you all know Berok's and we have our first machine running but check out Enrico Dini in Pisa, Italy with the Monolite process] and Adrian correctly points towards the next step.

      The robotic termites we are working towards not only construct but maintain or inhabit the structure allowing the continuous process of environmental adjustment such a habitat would require.  We are working on termite behavioral algorithms which result in both physical structure and ongoing maintenance/adaptation through 'structural homeostasis'.  We are considering termites themselves as the construction agent by selectively jetting pheromone to induce built structures for us.

      We are about to reveal our findings to at a workshop at Loughborough on May 15th (e-mail me if you would like to be the first to hear the story).  We want to gauge understanding and our ability to put across the science before we release to a global panel through an international event in Cape Town next March.  I'm looking for partners and sponsors to take this forward and other commercial aspects.

      Cheers

      Rupert

      Dr Rupert Soar

      The Rapid Manufacturing Research Group and

      Freeform Construction Laboratory

      Wolfson School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering

      Loughborough University

      Leicester

      LE113TU

      Tel: +44 (0) 1509 227637