Re: [arcology] Digest Number 945

  • Jeff Buderer
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007

      >While I used to be a draftsman... (a number of decades ago), now, my ability to draw... isn't...

      possibly something innovative compensates for drawing skills.

      Indeed the idea is sketchbook not draftbook

      >I forsee the arrangement the same as my general writings...

      The Critique
      Ah yes I considered your set up below and my thought
      1. it was a bit too suburban given that this is an Arcology group and that the contest is one for Califia
      2. Consider Arcosanti make up and the densities in place there.
      3. in fact phase IV@ Arcosanti was probably about a half acre or less with space for 25 people.
      4. so your model has 40 people in six ac and Arcosanti has say 40 people in one acre.
      5. I think the whole Acrosanti complex as it stands now is about 70 people in 5 acres but I am not sure
      6. I know or I should say I think that the planned Arco 5000 is in a footprint of 25 acres.
      7. I would say that is a bit beyond my desired average density
      8. Id go for something more moderate like say 5000 in 100 ac
      9. the model needs to make provision for car free environment
      10. also I think there needs to be a higher level of open space than what you have
      11. your commons i assume includes open space
      Getting beyond the Grid
      We need to get beyond the grid system and come up with something more free flowing with the natural environment particularly the rivers
      1. I see special zones of open space green ways radiating out from the center of cities and esp along the rivers and on the tops of valleys
      2. I see any supply lines freeways rail etc as heavily elevated to allow for natural and human flows unimpeded by the infrastructure.
      3. Freeways of course will be minimized but pragmatically will include loops around the metro area and some connection to inner city areas
      4. Railways will become dominant and be as mentioned above either highly elevated as in what is commonplace in Chicago and NYC and of course SFs BART or alternatively smaller neighborhood feeder lines what is common now with light rail in San Jose and Denver and the Muni lines in SF
      5. Transit oriented development which is now naturally occuring will morph into Arcology themed development.

      Embracing Diversity of Density Model: Getting Beyond the Ideology of Planning and Development
      Urban areas will embrace diversity of density concept which embraces a mix of densities suitable to natural tendencies for high density in urban core and less in perepherial regions with slight deviance for regional hub centers in the metro area. the hub centers will provide most consumer and infrastructure services not covered the by neighborhood and distict centers.
      • Urban cores will be super high density with heavy commercial and artistic features 10000-25000 per sq mi (or more ideally the urban core is 25% of total metro pop so in my view a sustainable city would top out at 1 million) and 1-3 mile from center. In the urban core it is almost all super high density with some secondary core mutlifamily and with a goal of 10-25 percent green space to constrast and compensate for the super urban density.
      • secondary core 5-10000 and 3-5 mile from core - the urban belt a mix of density multifamily 3-6 story the dominant development
      • tertiary 2-5000 and 5-10 miles from core - the urban transition zone to rural: rural suburban and light multifamly the dominant
      Promoting a Arcology Type Thematic
      Within this diversity of density might exist core nodes and hubs upon which might constitute an arcology type thematic where by the structure is not monothlitic so much as as prolific with a thriving diversity of buildings with prevailing cultural theme and pattern language as relevant to the history and geographical features of each area, connecting the various layers of the urban core or cores metaphorically if not literally. Elevated transit and buildings with interconnected elevated pedestrian and utility tubes might be some examples of how this connectivity that literally manifest in the urban Arcology core and sub core hub areas.

      However in this ultra modern mileau it is important that urban character be preserved and allowed to develop in a way that is both a validation of human spirit as well as innovatively bringing the nature back in to modern urban life.

      Revitalizing the nature and our connection with it in the city can come through three forms:
      1. seemless urban natural corrodors on the ground undetered by urban forms like roads buildings and trains
      2. rooftop green roofs
      3. vertical farms in which might be multilevel structures growing food at levels to reduce urban ecofootprints dramatically as noted in a previous post. Indeed Rick Nelson and others are the forerunners in developing the foundation of this technology.
      The Major Urban Archotypes
      Within this diversity of density would include three main urban archotypes:
      1. super urban
      2. medium density mutlifamily
      3. low density suburban like Ronald puts forward below.
      Market Oriented Solutions that Internalize Economics Externalities
      The idea is to encourage people to have choices and not force people into a one size fits all mold but however to have real and total ecological and human costs built into the prices of these units. So if the suburban proponents can innovative low density developments that truly minimize the footprint and preserve the local biodiversity (say 10-25 percent of each ecosystem intact and approximate that as within 3,5 or 10 sq mile zone and), minimize car transit and provide social amenities and services and do so at a market competitive rate then more power to them.

      Externalities include:
      • Social impact of the Car, The Freeway, The TV, The Signage and The Parking lot
      • The embodied ecological and economic cost of pipelines roads parking lots and cars, etc
      • The ecofootprint needed to sustain those supply lines and systems
      • The disruption cause by global climate change to sustain those systems
      Im confident that in a truly market oriented system that the costs of higher density development will go down dramatically as compared to lesser density sprawl. I do believe Soleri has made a key point in his observation that density and densification (in relation to his CMD hypothesis) is something tied to the evolution of the universe and humanity and that sprawl is really a abberation that is outside the normal evolutionary process. It is a cancerous lesion on the collective body of humanity. And yet we do not stop people from making low density choices but rather be sure to incorporate all the long terms costs of those choices into the market space and not allow vested interests to evade those realities putting the short term profit motive above the long term interests of the nation and humanity itself.

      20 homesteads of 1/4 acre each, arranged into
      neighborhoods each a square 6 homesteads along each
      side, with the 4 or so acres in the middle as some
      common use area...

      60 of these neighborhoods fit into a square mile,
      leaving around 40 acres in the center of the overall
      community... schools, shopping, offices & services,
      etc. around 1/2 mile or so from the homes...