The Gift that Keeps On Giving

  • Jack Blackwell
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2 11:16 AM

      The full moon-sunset last night at Coal Oil Point in Santa Barbara was a reminder that there is a dimension to arcology that goes beyond social theory or environmental reform: the connection to an intrinsic reality of the cosmos completely discarded in our civilization.  It is so profound that all these years since having experienced that connection on a daily basis for just a few years, my soul prompts me to seek it’s presence habitually.  In the rapture of that golden hour last night, I felt deep gratitude for the privilege of those evenings on the Mesa all those years ago when that connection to the timeless reality of earth, sun, moon and stars poured through our souls and through our blood.   As one grows old and this world continues on its suicidal binge, that is perhaps the gift Paolo gave to us that is most precious of all.

      With gratitude and love to my co-workers of those years,

      Jack

    • anne tonks
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4 7:49 AM
        Jack

        How beautifully observed and how beautifully
        expressed. Thank You.

        I am currently on a cruise in the carribean and
        yesterday saw "progress" on the island of carribean
        since I visited there 27 years ago.

        And I mention progress as one perspective--the taxi
        driver who grew up there and was there 27 years ago
        kept talking about progress. And I am sure
        economically it is all true for him and others who
        live there.

        But the tropical beauty has been replaced by gas
        stations, stop lights and paved highways.

        I am always struck by the contradiction between
        wanting to experience the natural and the naturally
        beautiful and the natural human drive for more
        "things" and more "modern conveniences--the most
        notable example being the car"

        But, as long as I am writing here. Does anyone know
        of a "virtual" internet site where you can visit a
        world without oil? I think it would be most
        interesting to enter the world in 2050 and see what
        the best scientific estimates would predict how we
        live.

        Any other ideas on this?

        Anne
        --- Jack Blackwell <jack.blackwell@...> wrote:

        > The full moon-sunset last night at Coal Oil Point in
        > Santa Barbara was a
        > reminder that there is a dimension to arcology that
        > goes beyond social
        > theory or environmental reform: the connection to an
        > intrinsic reality of
        > the cosmos completely discarded in our civilization.
        > It is so profound that
        > all these years since having experienced that
        > connection on a daily basis
        > for just a few years, my soul prompts me to seek
        > it's presence habitually.
        > In the rapture of that golden hour last night, I
        > felt deep gratitude for the
        > privilege of those evenings on the Mesa all those
        > years ago when that
        > connection to the timeless reality of earth, sun,
        > moon and stars poured
        > through our souls and through our blood. As one
        > grows old and this world
        > continues on its suicidal binge, that is perhaps the
        > gift Paolo gave to us
        > that is most precious of all.
        >

        > With gratitude and love to my co-workers of those
        > years,
        >

        > Jack

      • anne tonks
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4 7:59 AM
          The island in the message below is Grenada