Apse

  • dkeram1
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2007
      Does anyone know if anyone has used an apse as a design element in a
      non-church, non-bandshell structure. Would anyone care to comment how
      one might do so....without using rebar, siltcasting and concrete?
    • rhkratzse@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 17, 2007
        In a message dated 2/26/07 10:21:20 AM, dkeram1@... writes:
        Does anyone know if anyone has used an apse as a design element in a
        non-church, non-bandshell structure. Would anyone care to comment how
        one might do so....without using rebar, siltcasting and concrete?

        I don't recall seeing a response to this query, so I'll pipe up.

        Paolo Soleri has designed a few apses.  The two at Arcosanti are a foundry and a ceramics manufactury, thus not churches or bandshells.  In addition he designed a bandshell apse at Glendale Community College, Phoenix in 1994 (for which I was the structural engineer), so I guess that doesn't count.  I'm not aware of any other built apses, although there must be some.  (I'll leave the Google searching to others.)

        All of these used rebar, siltcasting, and concrete, of course.  I'm trying to think what else they would be made of.  Wood, steel, glass, and concrete block don't seem appropriate for such curved structures.  Maybe they could be some sort of metal honeycomb waffle, like an airplane wing, although the lack of mass might be a concern -- it certainly would be in all of the structures mentioned above.

        Ralph Hueston Kratz
        Richmond CA