Re: [arcology] Arcosanti in Herald-Times

  • rhkratzse@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 9, 2006
      Jack and Gang,

      "Edgy," now *that's* a vital attribute for architecture, isn't it?!

      Ralph

      In a message dated 8/9/06 1:26:44 PM, jack.blackwell@... writes:
      George and Gang,
      This is a link to the original artical in case the complete web page doesn't come through.  The context is a Smithsonian issue partly devoted to the environment.  That should reach a large audience.
      Jack
    • George Kosmides
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 25, 2006
        Nice article about Jim Carnahan, where he mentions Soleri.

        http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A35752

        -George
      • George Kosmides
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 17, 2006
          Folks -

          On Friday Paolo will be speaking in NYC. The talk is open to the public.

          New York City: October 20, 6:30pm
          Parsons School of Design
          Swayduck Hall
          65 Fifth Avenue, between 13th and 14th Streets Ground Floor New York, NY
          www.parsons.edu/architecture
          (212) 229-8955 x 1

          On Monday he speaks in DC and on Tuesday at RISD.

          Washington, DC: October 23, 6:30pm
          National Building Museum
          401 F Street NW
          Washington, DC
          www.nbm.org/Spotlight/website/index.html
          (202) 272-2448

          Providence, RI: October 24, 7pm
          Rhode Island School of Design
          RISD Auditorium
          Providence, R.I.
          www.ric.edu/bannister
          (401) 456-9765

          I'll provide a summary of the talks to this list.

          Thanks

          -George
        • Franz Nahrada
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 17, 2006
            george Kosmides writes:
            >I'll provide a summary of the talks to this list.
            >Thanks
            >-George

            Is there any chance to get his speech videotaped? This would add a lot,
            now with GoogleVideo and YouTube at hand we could get much closer to some
            of the most interesting events anywhere on the planet,

            I also would like to inform the list that here in Austria I am working on
            a project to connect places by so called "Video Bridges". I envision a
            technology that uses a video camera, a projector and Internet access to
            connect two locations so that the entire projection area becomes a view
            into the other location (and the speech that is going on there), and vice
            versa. This opens up a new and stimulating kind of collaboration which,
            we imagine, helps us overcome the "provinciality" of villages.I call it
            the closest to "urban effect" that IT and telecommunication media could
            possibly help us to achieve.

            The crucial idea is to have local educational centers share content and
            offerings on a fair use base and work out procedures that allow
            "peer2peer" production of high quality educational content. We have done
            the technological side (which we want to bring down to real
            cost-effectiveness) for almost 3 years now in Austria, transmitting
            university lectures from the capital into villages and enabling the local
            adult learning center in the village to operate at university level.

            I think many of you know from former postings that my interest is to bring
            the size of arcologies down so we can inhabit mini-arcologies that equal
            traditional villages and take full advantage of embeddedness into cultured
            landscape and nature, yet have access to urban culture and possibilities -
            also facilitated through the flexibility of automation and technology
            widening the range of productions and activities that any single one of
            the inhabitants is able to perform.

            VideoBridge will be an important step from theory to practise, and it
            would be good if the Arcology movement would be interested to help in
            achieving this and fostering dialogue. At least, having some material to
            start with online would be a good very first step to give us the taste of
            an noospheric education system.

            Thanks for considering and best wishes from Europe

            Franz Nahrada
            GIVE Research Society - Laboratory for Global Villages - Vienna - Austria
          • Jeff Buderer
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 17, 2006
              George,

              Thanks. I look forward to your report. It is good to see that Paolo
              still gets around.

              Does any know if there are any alnumi projects to promote sustainable
              development at Arcosanti.

              Is there any interest in doing such?

              Jeff

              Kosmides wrote:

              > Folks -
              >
              > On Friday Paolo will be speaking in NYC. The talk is open to the public.
              >
              > New York City: October 20, 6:30pm
              > Parsons School of Design
              > Swayduck Hall
              > 65 Fifth Avenue, between 13th and 14th Streets Ground Floor New York, NY
              > www.parsons. edu/architecture
              > (212) 229-8955 x 1
              >
              > On Monday he speaks in DC and on Tuesday at RISD.
              >
              > Washington, DC: October 23, 6:30pm
              > National Building Museum
              > 401 F Street NW
              > Washington, DC
              > www.nbm.org/ Spotlight/ website/index. html
              > (202) 272-2448
              >
              > Providence, RI: October 24, 7pm
              > Rhode Island School of Design
              > RISD Auditorium
              > Providence, R.I.
              > www.ric.edu/ bannister
              > (401) 456-9765
              >
              > I'll provide a summary of the talks to this list.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > -George

            • Jack Blackwell
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 18, 2006
                Thanks, George.

                I hope some online documentation will be available from one of these venues. Wish I could be there with you.

                All the best,

                Jack

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 21, 2006
                  Paolo gave a great talk last night at Parsons School of Design. I will
                  summarize it a little later.

                  Monday he speaks in DC. Check out the notice from today's Wash Post

                  THE RADICAL ITALIAN-BORN ARCHITECT Paolo Soleri has been hiding out in
                  Arizona for most of his astonishingly insightful career. With the help of
                  live-in acolytes, he has been building a prototype for an environmentally
                  friendly city that blends architectural innovation, ecology and silt. The
                  planned community is only 1 percent complete, but Soleri remains a fiery
                  philosopher with his shoulder hard against a dream, working since 1970 on
                  his Utopian anti-sprawl village of Arcosanti, 70 miles from Phoenix.
                  Soleri's efforts were rewarded last week in New York, where he received the
                  Smithsonian's National Design Award for lifetime achievement at the
                  Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum. On Monday, Soleri will speak about his
                  work at 6:30 p.m. at the National Building Museum.

                  Tuesday he speaks up at Rhode Island School of Design in Providence.

                  -George
                • George Kosmides
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 26, 2006
                    Paolo spoke at the National Building Museum in DC last month. Paolo was
                    interviewed in their Fall magazine.

                    http://www.nbm.org/blueprints/blueprints_pdf/Blueprintsfall06_web.pdf

                    Nice pictures. Nice interview.

                    -George