A word on Domes

  • rookzero
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2006
      Domes tend to be energy efficient and material efficient though not
      labor efficient in construction. Domes also are difficult to expand
      from (and some arcologies will need to expand like it or not) or make
      modifications to. Additionally, the surface would be less suited to
      solar power collection than flat surfaces, although passive solar
      collection in concrete apses works pretty well.
    • marvinm521
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2006
        --- In arcology@yahoogroups.com, "rookzero" <rook_zero@h...> wrote:

        > Domes tend to be energy efficient and material efficient though not
        > labor efficient in construction.

        Not labor efficient? How so?

        >Domes also are difficult to expand
        > from (and some arcologies will need to expand like it or not) or make
        > modifications to.

        Can't argue with that.

        > Additionally, the surface would be less suited to
        > solar power collection than flat surfaces, although passive solar
        > collection in concrete apses works pretty well.

        Can't argue with this either.
      • rookzero
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 29, 2006
          > Not labor efficient? How so?

          To enclose the same amount of area with a dome would take longer and
          take more labor than many alternative construction styles. This is
          somewhat contingent on what we make the dome out of and how large it
          needs to be, but by and large a permanent dome is not the best use of
          limited labor. Its certainly an improvement over some design styles
          in building time, but it isn't the best either.
        • rhkratzse@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 30, 2006
            Please be specific; name say half-a-dozen of the "many alternative construction styles."
            Ralph