Re: From Nuclear Arms Race to the Race to Build Ecocities

  • rookzero
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2005
      I don't know where that particular calculation would come from with
      the number of variables involved. However, Alan is fundamentally
      right - a structure that size couldn't be supported by the ground in
      most areas and would sink. Second, the building of a community on
      that scale would be absurd. By the way, 7,500,000,000 people would
      exceed the population of China, likely forever, as their population
      will shrink rather than grow due to the 1 child policy relatively
      soon (w/i the next 50 years).

      --- In arcology@yahoogroups.com, Alan Grimes <alangrimes@s...> wrote:

      > Glacio Sapiens wrote:
      > > Whoever wins the Ecocity Race wins the planet.
      > >
      > > How about designing one big Shimizu City for all of China?
      Instead of a
      > > stepped building with 750,000 people and about one mile high it
      will
      > > hold 10,000 times that number and it will be 60 miles high. Over
      the
      > > century robotic crawlers will move ever upwardly in what Dr.
      Dante Bini
      > > called "Robotic Autoconstruction" at an MIT Future Cities
      conference
      > > about a decade ago. They will keep ahead of the Chinese
      population
      > > increase to 7.5 billion.
      >
      > Dude, you can't build more than 45 or so miles high because the
      crust of
      > the planet can't take any more weight than that....
      >
      > --
      > Friends don't let friends use GCC 3.4.4
      > GCC 3.3.6 produces code that's twice as fast on x86!
      >
      > http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/

    • Glacio Sapiens
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2005
        What does Alan base his 45 miles high estimate on?

        What if we build it in the "High Arctic" and make it out of ice? How high could we go then?

        Glacio
        <http://www.geocities.com/Glacio_Sapiens>

        --- In arcology@yahoogroups.com, Alan Grimes wrote:

        > Glacio Sapiens wrote:
        > > Whoever wins the Ecocity Race wins the planet.
        > >
        > > How about designing one big Shimizu City for all of China?
        Instead of a
        > > stepped building with 750,000 people and about one mile high it
        will
        > > hold 10,000 times that number and it will be 60 miles high. Over
        the
        > > century robotic crawlers will move ever upwardly in what Dr.
        Dante Bini
        > > called "Robotic Autoconstruction" at an MIT Future Cities
        conference
        > > about a decade ago. They will keep ahead of the Chinese
        population
        > > increase to 7.5 billion.
        >
        > Dude, you can't build more than 45 or so miles high because the
        crust of
        > the planet can't take any more weight than that....
        >
        > --
        > Friends don't let friends use GCC 3.4.4
        > GCC 3.3.6 produces code that's twice as fast on x86!
        >
        > http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/

        Give at-risk students the materials they need to succeed at DonorsChoose.org!
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/iEagnA/LpQLAA/HwKMAA/3OlolB/TM

        Site of the month. Arcosanti
        http://www.arcosanti.org/

        *
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • rookzero
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2005
          A massive ice structure would be unfeasable for construction with
          reasonable methods. We should confine ourselves to more practical
          options.

          --- In arcology@yahoogroups.com, Glacio Sapiens