University

  • rookzero
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2005
      Actually, the idea of a University Campus as an Arcology within a
      larger area has long interested me. The main reason I that this
      probably won't be done for a while is that school buildings are built
      on donations, with the building named after donor. Universities often
      have many smaller buildings because each one was paid for in part by a
      major donor - resource ineffecient though that may be. Naming a
      component of an Arcology after yourself would not have the same
      effect. I suspect that having the campus "completed" or adding
      additions would not have the same power to encourage donors.

      If you could convince enough people that it would be better to give to
      the endowment rather than name a building after themselves, then you
      could probably get some money to build your Arcology.

      (By the way, this is my first post on your forum.)
    • George Kosmides
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 6, 2005
        This is an interesting idea. Paolo has talked about the idea of a city in a
        university and university in a city, and this is one of the possible models
        for Arcosanti. In many ways the great thing about a university is that it
        things are so close and focused on specific activities, and there is a high
        density of interaction. But I wonder how much of it fits the notion of a
        city, with long-term and sustained neighborhoods and relationships. Most are
        in a university for a short period.

        Welcome to the list.

        -George

        Actually, the idea of a University Campus as an Arcology within a
        larger area has long interested me. The main reason I that this
        probably won't be done for a while is that school buildings are built
        on donations, with the building named after donor. Universities often
        have many smaller buildings because each one was paid for in part by a
        major donor - resource ineffecient though that may be. Naming a
        component of an Arcology after yourself would not have the same
        effect. I suspect that having the campus "completed" or adding
        additions would not have the same power to encourage donors.

        If you could convince enough people that it would be better to give to
        the endowment rather than name a building after themselves, then you
        could probably get some money to build your Arcology.

        (By the way, this is my first post on your forum.)

        Site of the month. Arcosanti
        http://www.arcosanti.org/

        *
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Leonardi, Doug
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 6, 2005
          RE: [arcology] University

          While a University City is an appealing thought, a College town is a more realistic model to start with. Cities like Boston, Wocester, New York, etc. that host multiple institutions across a spectrum of studies and social strata are much more healthy, not only because they promote a self-organizing diversity but a balance between the public and private sector wherein the local economy is fed by yet cultivates the colleges, attracting the best resources, jobs, and immigrants with them.

          imho,

          Doug

[...]

          DonorsChoose.org helps at-risk students succeed. Fund a student project today!
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/G7lQgA/FpQLAA/HwKMAA/3OlolB/TM

          Site of the month. Arcosanti
          http://www.arcosanti.org/

          *
          Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Franz Nahrada
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 6, 2005
            arcology@yahoogroups.com schrieb am Donnerstag, 06. Oktober 2005 um 13:48
            +0100:
            >But I wonder how much of it fits the notion of a
            >city, with long-term and sustained neighborhoods and relationships. Most
            >are
            >in a university for a short period.

            The Balearic Information Technology Parc (ParcBIT) Project was a free
            architects competition for a settlement of the 21st century.

            It was based on the Proximity to the University of the Balearic Islands
            (UIB).

            Richard Rogers designed a project that I call one of the best mini
            arcology / globalvillage scheme ever conceived and I took as lead icon:

            http://members.inode.at/give/give/Salzburg/sbg8.html

            The idea then was that a university creates an environment of innovative
            firms and the need to settle their people with their families.

            unfortunately the final realisatiuon looks VERY different....

            Franz
          • Chris ScottHanson
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 6, 2005
              Check out the Cathedral of Learning, at the University of Pittsburgh.  Often considered the first "high rise university".

              Chris