RE: [arcology] Whistler Arcology

  • George Kosmides
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 15, 2005

      I am not sure what the Whistler-Blackcomb skyline is. Can you explain?

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 15, 2005
        RE: [arcology] Whistler Arcology

        > I don't think he has an answer for you. He's a crackpot who's been
        > around for several years now...

        As opposed to our own domestic crackpots.

        Is anyone on this board involved in an actual business or tangible endeavor to erect a functional arcology other than arcosanti, or is this still only an academic forum?

        Doug Leonardi

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 15, 2005

          --
          Friends don't let friends use GCC 3.4.4
          GCC 3.3.6 produces code that's twice as fast on x86!

          http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/
        • Alan Grimes
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 15, 2005
            > Is anyone on this board involved in an actual business or tangible
            > endeavor to erect a functional arcology other than arcosanti, or is this
            > still only an academic forum?

            nope, I thought about it... (see discussion from a few years ago..) But
            I decided my own efforts with respect to AI are much more urgent..

            --
            Friends don't let friends use GCC 3.4.4
            GCC 3.3.6 produces code that's twice as fast on x86!

            http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/
          • Glacio Sapiens
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 15, 2005
              Yes. The town of Whistler, site for Olympics 2010, is
              nestled at the foot of two mountains, each rising over
              one mile directly from the town and its ski lifts and
              gondolas. Fitzimmons Creek runs between the two
              mountains. Blackcomb is almost 1,000 feet higher than
              Whistler Mountain and is a more spectacular view from
              the valley below.

              And speaking of tunnelling operations in conjunction
              with city planning, Ed TV last night carried a program
              on Mayan cities. Apparently they recognized the
              natural pyramids first, before they built their own
              and there are thousands of km. of caves and tunnels in
              mountains which were used by the Mayans especially in
              their religious rituals.

              One has to wonder why Shimizu would not be interested
              in such an arcology prospect as tunnelling down
              through Blackcomb to Whistler Village below when they
              have plans for a 3,000 ft. high pyramid city
              presently. Shimizu could start with these natural
              pyramids.
              Whistler Village takes in about $ one billion in
              tourism revenue per year and could well afford such an
              expansion.

              Glacio

              <http://www.geocities.com/Glacio_Sapiens>

              PS- About 50 miles from Whistler as the crow flies is
              the ghost town of Bradian. See
              <http://www.ghosttowns.com>. The 58 acres, incl. 22
              houses in derelict condition are up for sale for 1.25
              million $. Please let us know if anyone wants to buy.
              Bralorne Mine took 4 million ounces of gold out of
              there before packing it in. There are copper deposits
              in the Whistler-Blackcomb mountains. Miners know that
              copper is highly correlated with gold. Who knows what
              the tunnellers might discover?

              === message truncated ===

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Leonardi, Doug
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 15, 2005
                RE: [arcology] Whistler Arcology

                Glacio,

                If you are seriously seeking proposals in the name of Whistler-Blackcomb, or any other reputable organization or community, I'd be happy to discuss both the urban design and structural engineering aspects of the project. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss the details if you wish.

                Doug Leonardi, CTO
                SafetySpan, Inc.
                dougleonardi@...

                Yes. The town of Whistler, site for Olympics 2010, is
                nestled at the foot of two mountains, each rising over
                one mile directly from the town and its ski lifts and
                gondolas. Fitzimmons Creek runs between the two
                mountains. Blackcomb is almost 1,000 feet higher than
                Whistler Mountain and is a more spectacular view from
                the valley below.

                And speaking of tunnelling operations in conjunction
                with city planning, Ed TV last night carried a program
                on Mayan cities. Apparently they recognized the
                natural pyramids first, before they built their own
                and there are thousands of km. of caves and tunnels in
                mountains which were used by the Mayans especially in
                their religious rituals.

                One has to wonder why Shimizu would not be interested
                in such an arcology prospect as tunnelling down
                through  Blackcomb to Whistler Village below when they
                have plans for a 3,000 ft. high pyramid city
                presently. Shimizu could start with these natural
                pyramids.
                Whistler Village takes in about $ one billion in
                tourism revenue per year and could well afford such an
                expansion.

                Glacio

                <http://www.geocities.com/Glacio_Sapiens>

                PS- About 50 miles from Whistler as the crow flies is
                the ghost town of Bradian. See
                <http://www.ghosttowns.com>. The 58 acres, incl. 22
                houses in derelict condition are up for sale for 1.25
                million $. Please let us know if anyone wants to buy.
                Bralorne Mine took 4 million ounces of gold out of
                there before packing it in. There are copper deposits
                in the Whistler-Blackcomb mountains. Miners know that
                copper is highly correlated with gold. Who knows what
                the tunnellers might discover?

                --- George Kosmides <gkosmides@...> wrote:

                > I am not sure what the Whistler-Blackcomb skyline
                > is. Can you explain?

                > Thanks

                >   _____

                === message truncated ===

                http://mail.yahoo.com

                *

              • rhkratzse@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 15, 2005
                  In a message dated 9/15/05 8:41:32 AM, dleonardi@... writes:
                  or is this still only an academic forum?

                  Fantasy forum ???

                  Ralph
                • Glacio Sapiens
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 16, 2005
                    Every set of architectural plans is a fantasy before
                    the structure is built.

                    Glacio

                  • rhkratzse@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 16, 2005
                      That's a very interesting comment, Glacio.  You are literally correct, but completely misleading, as I read the dictionary.  The first 3 meanings of "fantasy" are:

                      1.  imagination, esp. when extravagant and unrestrained
                      2.  the forming of mental images, esp. wondrous strange fancies, imaginative conceptualizing
                      3.  a mental image, esp. when unreal or fantastic, vision

                      So of course any unrealized building, as shown in drawings, is an "imagination" or "mental image," even a Wal-mart or a Burger King.  But when one pictures a "Fantasyland" one doesn't think of a group of Wal-marts, does one?  :)  When someone mentions a "fantasy" it inspires thoughts of the second part of each of these meanings, and that's what I was alluding to, a discussion of "extravagant and unrestrained," "strange," "unreal" visions.  With an emphasis on "unreal."

                      Or:  Are we in touch with reality?

                      Ralph

                      --- rhkratzse@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 9/15/05 8:41:32 AM,
                      > dleonardi@... writes:
                      > > or is this still only an academic forum?
                      > >
                      > Fantasy forum ???
                      >
                      > Ralph
                    • Glacio Sapiens
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 17, 2005
                        Is Shimizu in touch with reality with that 3,000 ft.
                        high pyramid-shaped city-in-one-building which keeps
                        getting shown on Discovery TV? Are Soleri's
                        imaginative cities-in-one-building in touch with
                        reality?

                        Glacio

                        --- Rhkratzse@... wrote:

                        > That's a very interesting comment, Glacio. You are
                        > literally correct, but
                        > completely misleading, as I read the dictionary.
                        > The first 3 meanings of
                        > "fantasy" are:
                        >
                        > 1. imagination, esp. when extravagant and
                        > unrestrained
                        > 2. the forming of mental images, esp. wondrous
                        > strange fancies, imaginative
                        > conceptualizing
                        > 3. a mental image, esp. when unreal or fantastic,
                        > vision
                        >
                        > So of course any unrealized building, as shown in
                        > drawings, is an
                        > "imagination" or "mental image," even a Wal-mart or
                        > a Burger King. But when one
                        > pictures a "Fantasyland" one doesn't think of a
                        > group of Wal-marts, does one? :)
                        > When someone mentions a "fantasy" it inspires
                        > thoughts of the second part of
                        > each of these meanings, and that's what I was
                        > alluding to, a discussion of
                        > "extravagant and unrestrained," "strange," "unreal"
                        > visions. With an emphasis on
                        > "unreal."
                        >
                        > Or: Are we in touch with reality?
                        >
                        > Ralph
                        >
                        > In a message dated 9/16/05 4:47:06 PM,
                        > glacio_sapiens@... writes:
                        > > Every set of architectural plans is a fantasy
                        > before
                        > > the structure is built.
                        > >
                        > > Glacio
                        > >
                        > > --- rhkratzse@... wrote:

                        > > > Fantasy forum ???
                        > > >
                        > > > Ralph

                      • Glacio Sapiens
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 16, 2005
                          Probably not but try it again. Whistler grosses > one
                          billion $ per year and some big money is coming in to
                          kick it up a notch for Olympics 2010.

                          Last night BCTV News presented a story on a proposal
                          to run a 40-50 million $ European-styled gondola from
                          near one mountain top to to the other. As I understood
                          this report, it will meet Blackcomb at the foot of the
                          glacier.

                          If you are going to build an "Arcology" why not use
                          the existing 3-D foundation which is the peak of
                          Blackcomb?
                          The host rock there is an aesthetic pastel grey in
                          colour when it is fresh-cut and it could be made into
                          building blocks for external structures as it is
                          excavated.

                          I think Canada is world's #1 mining country with more
                          mining companies here than any other countries. Google
                          on Bralorne which is about 60 miles away as the crow
                          flies. Bralorne may start up again. It has yielded
                          about $2 billion in gold so far. Who knows, you may
                          strike it rich atop Blackcomb.

                          --- rhkratzse@... wrote:

                          > Just as a reality check, has ANYTHING changed for
                          > the better since we were
                          > discussing Arcology, etc., in Vancouver at the
                          > United nations "Habitat for
                          > Humanity" conference in 1976 ????
                          >
                          > Ralph
                          >
                          > In a message dated 9/14/05 9:48:15 AM,
                          > glacio_sapiens@... writes:
                          > > "The arcology concept proposes a highly integrated
                          > and
                          > > compact three-dimensinal urban form".
                          > >
                          > > Please tell us for Vancouver's World Urban Forum
                          > 2006
                          > > what the Whistler-Blackcomb skyline would look
                          > like
                          > > after an arcology transformation.
                          > >
                          > > Glacio
                          > >

                          > > --- Glacio Sapiens <glacio_sapiens@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Perhaps CMHC could invite all participants in
                          > next
                          > > > year's World Urban Forum in Vancouver to project
                          > > > their
                          > > > ideas for such a city onto the
                          > Whistler-Blackcomb
                          > > > skyline.