Re: [arcology] Arcosanti workshops

  • Charles Provine
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
      Re: [arcology] Arcosanti workshops Hello George,

      I agree completely with your assessment of the Arcosanti program.  We really need to evoke the same attitude you have toward this project with its participants.  I am going to use some of this language.

      Regards,

      Charles Provine

      On 2/28/05 7:57 PM, "George Kosmides" <gkosmides@...> wrote:

      I would say that it is a great opportunity. My workshop was in the 70's and
      I have been actively involved on an ongoing basis since then. There are a
      lot of aspects to arcology, and Arcosanti is the one place to be exposed to
      it. Arcosanti is interesting, challenging and an enigma is many ways. The
      best way to understand it is to dive in. Arcosanti attracts a lot of
      interesting folks from all over the world and there is a constant flow of
      talented individuals and groups. I am continually amazed at the famous and
      not-so-famous people that come through there.

      In many ways Arcosanti is a blank canvas with a lot of potential. It offers
      opportunities to learn, to be absorbed in arcology, Soleri's designs and
      writings, arcology-related areas, construction, organic agriculture and land
      use, community issues, engineering and architecture, etc. A lot is there and
      a lot needs to be done. Like so much else, the amount you get out of it is
      more or less related to the amount of effort you put into it.

      -George

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
        I'd like to second all of George's comments and add:  Only the greatest experience of my life.

        It would help to know a bit about what/who/where you are.  The more specific you are the more specific the responses will be.   Student?  Architect?  European?  Etc.

        Ralph Hueston Kratz
        1975 Workshopper

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
          Re: [arcology] Arcosanti workshops

          Interesting article on cnn.com at  http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/03/01/climate.uk.network.reut/index.html

          I find this bizarre and ironic. An arcology would be orders of magnitude lower in its energy drain and emissions (and perhaps even a net energy source, rather than a sink).

          -George

          100 cities join climate rescue network

          Tuesday, March 1, 2005 Posted: 11:55 AM EST (1655 GMT)

          LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Britain launched a campaign on Tuesday to tackle the global climate change crisis through the sharing of information between 100 cities in 60 countries from Argentina to Vietnam .

          The ZeroCarbonCity campaign is based on cities being the biggest consumers of electricity and therefore the main generators of greenhouse gases that are warming the world towards what many see as looming Armageddon.

        • Hank
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
            It is interesting to hear about the old timers and get their input.  I was wondering if there are any recent graduates on this list.  What happened in the last couple years?

            Hank in the high desert
            another potential class member

          • Charles Provine
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
              Re: [arcology] Arcosanti workshops Hello Hank,

              Charles Provine here from Arcosanti.  I did my workshop in July.  The group was very small, but we completed some cement stairs to the Planning/Construction Meeting room above the SOD building.  A foundry extension  was poured earlier in 2004...this was a very large pour.  The foundry has effectively added one third again more square footage.  Also, a ramp to the foundry has been poured...no more fireman chains to bring up the bronze.  That’s it for the really big changes.  Lots of small changes are going on these days....camp looks great, agriculture has a new manager (Scott Dolan) and he does so much to raise the bar there...lots of excitement in Ag these days.  The site is looking alright...plenty of old, abandoned cars, but the interior is being well cared for.

              We have a daily progress report at www.arcosanti.org for more detail than I provided.

              Come back Hank,

              I am sure you will be welcomed back by everyone who knows you and those who would like to know more about you.

              Regards,

              Charles Provine

              On 3/2/05 8:26 AM, "Hank" <w.burroughs@...> wrote:

              It is interesting to hear about the old timers and get their input.  I was wondering if there are any recent graduates on this list.  What happened in the last couple years?

              Hank in the high desert
              another potential class member

              Site of the month. Arcosanti
              http://www.arcosanti.org/

              *

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129c177nl/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705137079:HM/EXP=1109863554/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

              --

            • polar_bloom2
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
                Thank you all for the great responses.
                I'm an art teacher in South Central Alaska and found a picture of
                Arcosanti in one of my student texts. There wasn't any text
                eplaining what it was, just a name so I did some research and came
                across the web site and then this group. LOL art teachers tend to be
                off the beaten path in their world view and I'm no exception, so of
                course I was intrigued with the whole idea.

              • Charles Provine
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
                  Re: [arcology] Re: Arcosanti workshops Excellent,

                  We have plenty of artists here who find the time to create their works.  It is a very inspirational area with the local desert ecosystem to close.

                  Regards,

                  Charles

                  On 3/2/05 11:28 AM, "polar_bloom2" <polar_bloom2@...> wrote:

                  Thank you all for the great responses.
                  I'm an art teacher in South Central Alaska and found a picture of
                  Arcosanti in one of my student texts. There wasn't any text
                  eplaining what it was, just a name so I did some research and came
                  across the web site and then this group. LOL art teachers tend to be
                  off the beaten path in their world view and I'm no exception, so of
                  course I was intrigued with the whole idea.

                  --- In arcology@yahoogroups.com, rhkratzse@a... wrote:
                  > I'd like to second all of George's comments and add:   Only the
                  greatest
                  > experience of my life.
                  >
                  > It would help to know a bit about what/who/where you are.   The
                  more specific
                  > you are the more specific the responses will be.    Student?
                  Architect?
                  > European?   Etc.
                  >
                  > Ralph Hueston Kratz
                  > 1975 Workshopper
                  >
                  > In a message dated 2/28/05 7:00:18 PM, gkosmides@n... writes:
                  > >
                  > > I would say that it is a great opportunity. My workshop was in
                  the 70's and
                  > > I have been actively involved on an ongoing basis since then.
                  There are a
                  > > lot of aspects to arcology, and Arcosanti is the one place to be
                  exposed to
                  > > it. Arcosanti is interesting, challenging and an enigma is many
                  ways. The
                  > > best way to understand it is to dive in. Arcosanti attracts a
                  lot of
                  > > interesting folks from all over the world and there is a
                  constant flow of
                  > > talented individuals and groups. I am continually amazed at the
                  famous and
                  > > not-so-famous people that come through there.
                  > >
                  > > In many ways Arcosanti is a blank canvas with a lot of
                  potential. It offers
                  > > opportunities to learn, to be absorbed in arcology, Soleri's
                  designs and
                  > > writings, arcology-related areas, construction, organic
                  agriculture and land
                  > > use, community issues, engineering and architecture, etc. A lot
                  is there and
                  > > a lot needs to be done. Like so much else, the amount you get
                  out of it is
                  > > more or less related to the amount of effort you put into it.
                  > >
                  > > -George

                  Site of the month. Arcosanti
                  http://www.arcosanti.org/

                  *

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291hna1f/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705137079:HM/EXP=1109879189/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
                    If you have any specific questions I'm sure plenty of people would be glad to share their answers, on or off the list.  I was the structural engineer for the design of the East Crescent construction for the past 28 (Ouch!!) years.

                    Ralph
                    Ralph Hueston Kratz

                    Rhkratzse@...

                    510-236-6668