Re: [arcology] Ordinary Mail

  • Hank or Margaret
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
      In the resort community where I live, one of the requirements to get the
      zoning approved required that all people would have to get their mail at the
      post office. Sure is fun some days now that we have over 5000 people living
      here. Real traffic jams!!

      Hank in the high desert
    • Franz Nahrada
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
        In an arcology, pneumatic delivery would be a method of choice.

        Franz Nahrada
      • Vincent Loeff
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
          --- In arcology@yahoogroups.com, "Franz Nahrada" <f.nahrada@r...>
          wrote:
          > In an arcology, pneumatic delivery would be a method of choice.

          Hi

          To be very short: I think pneumatic delivery systems are not cost-
          effective.

          It can eassily cause mail to get stuck, packages will not pass
          through this system so we still need a postoffice for them and I
          think that this system only encourages lazyness.

          When I consider every issue with arcology, one of the highest
          priorities is employement. A bunch of postman is also employement.
          It's not much, but unschooled people can take these jobs perhaps.

          Pneumatic delivery also asks for a lot of energy. How else can we
          pump objects for a long distance?

          The idea is good and fun. But I personally don't think that it'll
          work in such a large building

          Vincent in Holland