Re: [arcology] Frugality ERRATUM

  • Randall Hunt
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
      >The result could be disaster, the result could be "augmented biotopes".

      You can say that again.

      Yet, I'd rather hear you describe your physical conceptualization of arcology.
    • Franz Nahrada
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2004
        Randall Hunt <randhunt@...>
        writes:
        >>The result could be disaster, the result could be "augmented biotopes".
        >You can say that again.
        >Yet, I'd rather hear you describe your physical conceptualization of
        >arcology.

        Thank you, Randall, for that question.

        I am not an architect, so I have no drawings, but for me there is some
        very clear points of description:

        let me put in a quick mental image for you and anybody who is interested:

        1. Small Arcologies of <2000 are not exceptions, but a widespread
        phenomenon. They are nested in the natural which they are part of. There
        is, in a deeper sense, not a pure natural sphere. Human activities and
        nature are intertwined. There is historical examples for that, mainly in
        Europe: cultural landscape, with varying degrees of intensity of land use.

        2. Shape of Arcology is always in dialogue with the shape and character of
        landscape. But also in intense cohesion with the natural qualities of
        climate, snow, ice, rain, floods. Mini-Arcology or Village Arcology is a
        landship, protecting against forces of nature, at the same time giving
        access and allowing dialogue with nature.

        3. Flow of man and material: Also Village Arcologies are mostly situated
        alongside mass transportation lines.

        4. The hilltown as ideal form: As Justus Dahinden and Richard Lewine have
        conceptualised, the urban hill is the most humane form of living.
        Everybody is entitled to a view, a breathe, a small garden ten by ten
        yards ten steps from the bed. The surface of Vilage Arcology is the
        natural extension of the surface of the planet. The stomach of Village
        Arcology holds the rest. Italian hilltowns and greek mountain villages are
        great examples of surface management. Everything, including public -
        private schemes, rain treatment, climatisation in micro - atria etc. The
        human habitat is the skin, the skin is the center, but the skin is also
        able to close and protect itself.

        5. concentric circles: The village Arcology might be surrounded by a
        suburban and farm-garden-hydroculture-ring, but this is limited in size
        due to accessibility. Local choice of lifestyles is possible. It is
        mandatory also that a short walk leads the individual to encounter with
        nature beyond deep social influence.

        6. Dissipation and osmosis: the size of Village Arcology is determined by
        the optimum relation between production and reproduction, breathing in and
        breathing out, fulfilling a partial role in a larger ecosystem. Village
        Arcology is bioregional. Purification of water, food production, leisure,
        sports, growing of raw material: lots of things happen outside village
        arcologies. Forests are essential for the planatary climate balance.
        Village Arcologies are guarding forests. Maybe the Pawlonia trees around
        Arcosanti are a harbinger of that future.

        7. Global spere: The "inner sun" of the arcology is not only provided by
        local residents and travelling artists. Cyberspace means the constant
        presence of the global virtual human metropolis in the "stomach" of the
        Village Arcologies. Caves, virtual reality theatres, holographic study
        rooms, supported by lightwells. They serve purposes of education,
        entertainment, research, production, design, develoipment.

        8. Cultural diversity. There is not one musical instrument for all human
        cultures. There are many cultural ways incompatioble with each other. A
        village Arcology might be a matter of choice of core values, which also
        want to be acted out physically. The swiss writer P.M. has conceptualised
        that as a multitude of "bolos", according to various "nimas". If we look
        at Las Vegas, we see a perverted form of this "theme" aspect of building
        in its gigantic hotels. So Village Arcologies can be unlike each other
        simply by "theme". One theme might be "classic", another might be
        "modern". One might be "natural, down to earth", another might be
        "decadent and laissez faire". I personally like to share my Village
        Arcology with bookmaniacs, and we want to share the largest library room
        after the library of congress as the centerpiece of our arcology. Is there
        anybody out there who wants to share that dream?

        These are some essentials. I have not touched automation, circular
        material fows within the Village Arcology, the structure of production and
        many others. Nevertheless I find the eight points a pretty comprehensive
        collection.

        Thank you Randall, for giving me the incentive to write them down for the
        first time. I would be very glad if this could be continued in some work
        space and if some people interested would join. I have had a tremendous
        good conversation with Jeff Buderer on these issues and I would like a
        Wiki to hold an expanding and intensifying collective imagination
        alongside these lines.

        Franz nahrada

      • Franz Nahrada
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
          arcology@yahoogroups.com writes:
          >we want to share the largest library room
          >after the library of congress as the centerpiece of our arcology.

          well that might be still too much to ask. but...spacious ;-)
          Franz