Initiative

  • Eric Blyth <ejbxxx@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2003
      Where has all the initiative gone? No one has posted in days, and
      even at that, there are hardly any posts at all.

      We had some good momentum going on before the holidays, and some good
      ideas were pouring out, let's not waste that.

      What's the plan for the website??? We had someone mention we could
      use the arcology.org, and someone else the arcologynetwork URL's...
      Are these still available? If not, is anyone actually interested
      enough to register and create a new domain and website?

      And once all that is done, can anyone create a NICE website,
      something professional looking?

      I don't mean to sound rude, and pardon my bluntness, but unless
      anyone is serious about any of this, then I'll find other groups &
      hobbies to involve myself with.

      I hope to see you all post your thoughts. Cheers.
    • Alina
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 3, 2003

        Dear Eric,

        I am a graphic artist by trade. I would LOVE to do a website for you guys. I would start it off with HTML to get it up faster but am also into animation and could do some great animated sequences also. Let me know if I can help with the site in any way.

        Alina

         "Eric Blyth <ejbxxx@...>" <ejbxxx@...> wrote:

        Where has all the initiative gone?  No one has posted in days, and
        even at that, there are hardly any posts at all.

        We had some good momentum going on before the holidays, and some good
        ideas were pouring out, let's not waste that.

        What's the plan for the website???  We had someone mention we could
        use the arcology.org, and someone else the arcologynetwork URL's...
        Are these still available?  If not, is anyone actually interested
        enough to register and create a new domain and website?

        And once all that is done, can anyone create a NICE website,
        something professional looking?

        I don't mean to sound rude, and pardon my bluntness, but unless
        anyone is serious about any of this, then I'll find other groups &
        hobbies to involve myself with.

        I hope to see you all post your thoughts.  Cheers.

        Site of the month. The 500 year Town. L. Gene Zellmer 1998
        http://www.www60829.w1.com/

        *

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • keramfamily@juno.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 3, 2003
          Boy Eric,
          the new year has made you crabby! Haste makes waste, as they say. If arcology is just one more of your many interests then perhaps you SHOULD focus on what is most important to you. Those of us who have an abiding interest will continue to plod along as best we can.
          Thanks for all your time and effort.

          Dan
        • dougleonardi <dleonardi@cmal.com>
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 4, 2003
            > Where has all the initiative gone? No one has posted in days, and
            > even at that, there are hardly any posts at all.

            Well, between the holidays, family business, and catching
            up/stockpiling up of work (the kind one is paid for, by an employer)
            I have been kinda swamped. I assume the same of most people.

            I certainly wouldn't draw any conclussions of abandonment from this.
            I think a good amount of progress has been made, and is being made.
            But not all progress is visible.

            We now have articulated clearer positions on economics and philosophy
            regarding arcology as a real world project. I consider these a big
            plus, since a well defined goal is the best tool a project can have.

            We have feedback to review and discuss regarding web design and
            content. We have a web designer offering time.

            We briefly explored the idea of a computer simulation of arcology as
            both a design and marketing tool, and while it may not make sense now
            with our resoources, it will certainly be a valuable tool in the near
            future.

            I think there's some progress here. Certainly enough to warrant
            staying on. But as Dan says, if you have other interests, by all
            means pursue them. This is not a hobby for me. It's a career.

            Doug

            > I don't mean to sound rude, and pardon my bluntness, but unless
            > anyone is serious about any of this, then I'll find other groups &
            > hobbies to involve myself with.

          • George Kosmides
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 4, 2003
              I agree, Doug. This kind of thing takes a long time and requires patience.
              There have been some really good ideas and energy during the past few
              months. Arcology is an entirely new way of doing cities. (Paolo would say
              it's actually a very old way of organizing organisms). Important work, but
              not easy stuff. Especially when at best we have part time, whatever's left
              over at the end of a day after our "real work".

              My wife has a poster of Jesus (next to several of the Buddha, Krishna, etc.)
              which says "I never said it would be easy. I only said it would be worth
              it".

              This is a good group. May we have a great new year.

              -George

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 4, 2003
                Alina

                Thanks for the offer. We definitely want to get a site up. I would like to see us define what the goals are of the site. As a start I think we want the site to:

                1. Educate - arcology is a new way of thinking about things and there are a variety of ways to educate  and build interest
                2. Coordinate our activities - we have a number of threads and possible projects going here (outreach/education, design, fundraising, etc) and it sure would help to organize each of them. Support for collaborative project work.
                3. Discussions - again, numerous threads, need a good way to organize and archive and manage.
                4. Repository and tool to allow us to gather and build fairly interactive arcology designs and details. A way for us to collaborately put together visuals.

                What else?

                My consulting company designs and builds Java based interactive sites, and I know that some of these goals need to be acheived in later stages. For now maybe education is enought.

                Do you have any samples of things you've worked on?

                Thanks

                -George

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 4, 2003
                  Energy and enthusiasm -- which you obviously display -- is not a bad thing,
                  and I empathize with your impatience. Hang in there, Eric.

                  Here's how I see it:

                  The web site will be like our store front. When we open a web site it means
                  we are open for business and should be able to handle the flow of inquiries
                  that we want to generate. One of the first things anyone will want to know
                  is our proposal: what are we doing; why are we doing it; what are we asking
                  of the visiting public; what does the proposed project look like? Et cetera.

                  To address this last item, we need pictures, plans, graphics and models.
                  But before we can generate form, we need to know certain basic things, like
                  how big is the structure, meaning, how much space (square/cubic footage) is
                  necessary to accommodate all the facilities required of a town to grow
                  (presumably) from roughly 20,000 to roughly 100,000 population.

                  My degree is not in architecture so I don't know if there is a ready
                  reference for how much space is required for the supporting functions for
                  towns of growing size. If there is, it will save us some time -- can anyone
                  supply such a reference? If not, then I suggest the following next step
                  that will yield that information:

                  I propose we generate a questionaire(s) and format for field research that
                  will allow us (those who may be interested) to gather the required data
                  from people and agencies within our own towns, as appropriate. I live in a
                  town of between ten and twenty thousand. I will want to make appointments
                  to interview various people in my community: the Mayor; the Dean of the
                  university; the Police Chief; the Fire Chief; the Manager of the waste
                  treatement plant; the head(s) of water and power; the person in charge of
                  public works; the Postmaster; the President of my local Chamber of
                  Commerce; numerous business owners; and so on.

                  I will want to ask them how much square footage they currently require, is
                  it enough, what do they project, etc. I would like to know what their
                  energy demands are (except that I may be able to get that information in
                  gross numbers from the power company). I want to hear what they all have to
                  say about providing for growth. What are our space requirements at the
                  start and how much facility will we ultimately need to provide?

                  I want to hear from those on this list who are interested in helping with
                  this survey in their own locales. Let's formulate a comprehensive
                  questionaire that will get us the data we need to proceed to the next step,
                  that is, to a rough overall size for the structure. It's important to know
                  what the program is in order to design the thing.
                • Eric Blyth <ejbxxx@hotmail.com>
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 6, 2003
                    I must once again apologize for my bluntness, but my post did what
                    was intended, and that was to get some people to wake-up from that
                    dreamy holiday state and start thinking business again. Sometimes a
                    good slap in the face works wonders!! Sorry once again for sounding
                    rude or unpleasant...

                    There have been several good posts since my last.

                    First, I am glad to see Anita join the group, it's very good to have
                    you with us! Very nice to have a professional web designer as part
                    of the team! (Although we all seem to have many wonderful ideas for
                    the website, none of us seem able to produce them in any interesting
                    fashion on the net.)

                    WEBSITE: My vision of the website is as follows: The main purpose,
                    at least for the moment, should be Education, and as a spin-off,
                    Recruitment. The reason why I believe these should be our primary
                    focuses: Arcology is still a fairly new concept, or at least, not
                    widely spread. We need to educate the public, get the idea out
                    there, and let them know this is NOT some crazy-super-futuristic-
                    unattainable idea, but something very coherent and within reach of
                    current technology. We need to show people the PROS of using
                    Arcology as opposed to current methods of city growth. And secondly,
                    for many reasons, we need to continue recruiting people who share the
                    interest. We need professional of all sorts to continue to evolve on
                    our primary goal of constructing an Arco. We need people to finance
                    it. We need people who want to live in it, etc.... etc.... I
                    believe we can continually expand the website from these main points,
                    as mentionned by George, to include the following:

                    > 1. Educate - arcology is a new way of thinking about things and
                    there are a variety of ways to educate and build interest
                    > 2. Coordinate our activities - we have a number of threads and
                    possible projects going here (outreach/education, design,
                    fundraising, etc) and it sure would help to organize each of them.
                    Support for collaborative project work.
                    > 3. Discussions - again, numerous threads, need a good way to
                    organize and archive and manage.
                    > 4. Repository and tool to allow us to gather and build fairly
                    interactive arcology designs and details. A way for us to
                    collaborately put together visuals.

                    As for the questionnaire proposed by Randall, I think this is an
                    excellent step, actually quite a necessary step. We need to
                    determine how many people we can accomodate in a reasonably sized
                    Arco. Are you prepared to do this Randall, or just putting the idea
                    forth? Either way, I'd be happy to do the questionnaire. I have
                    several contacts within the city departments that would be very happy
                    and willing to provide the information.

                    Last but not least, I have to agree that we have an excellent group
                    here! Let's keep up the hard work, let's stay focused, and let's get
                    this Arco built!

                    Cheers!
                  • Lou <ldallara@comcast.net>
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 12, 2003
                      Ok, I've been offline, had some email/virus/system problems and
                      recovering from bronchitis, buts give it a Go !

                      The Web site Initiative..
                      Issues..
                      1- Domain Name
                      2- ISP Host

                      1-I did a who is for domain name of Arcology.com which I though was
                      owner by Robert Rainmaker, who had offered it to us. I sent a email
                      to him and recieved no response. He's what the whois showed.

                      Registrant:
                      PPSA Consulting (ARCOLOGY2-DOM)
                      3912 Lexington Ct.
                      Bettendorf, IA 52722
                      US

                      Domain Name: ARCOLOGY.COM

                      Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
                      Johnson, John (JJ383) jjohnson@...
                      PPSA Consulting
                      3912 Lexington Ct.
                      Bettendorf, IA 52722
                      319-332-1496 (FAX) 360-838-9680

                      Record expires on 20-Sep-2003.
                      Record created on 21-Sep-1996.
                      Database last updated on 12-Jan-2003 11:09:30 EST.

                      Domain servers in listed order:

                      PPSA.COM 216.12.18.42
                      NS.CFW.COM 216.12.0.20

                      The site appears to be down. It is due to expire in Sept 2003. We
                      could make an offer to buy it now or put in a backorder to purchase
                      it.
                      or chose another domain name. ????? www.arcologys.com or .org ???

                      2- I have a ISP Host that I would provide the space for the site once
                      we decide on the domain. The host is http://www.globalhosting.com/
                      Right now I own the domain http://www.arcologynetwork.org/
                      and have it hosted on Globalhosting..

                      Thought maybe we should start a new list with the folks intereseted
                      in the web site only.

                      Best Regards and a Happy New Year
                      Lou

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 12, 2003
                        >As for the questionnaire proposed by Randall, I think this is an
                        >excellent step, actually quite a necessary step. We need to
                        >determine how many people we can accomodate in a reasonably sized
                        >Arco. Are you prepared to do this Randall, or just putting the idea
                        >forth? Either way, I'd be happy to do the questionnaire. I have
                        >several contacts within the city departments that would be very happy
                        >and willing to provide the information.

                        Thanks for your offer, Eric. Yes, I thought about doing this for some time
                        now. I have not yet formulated the questions because I have not yet thought
                        out all the downstream information one might need. It might be convenient
                        to gather other pertinent data from the respective sources (I haven't
                        thought exactly what).

                        To review the objective: to determine the amount of space to be allocated
                        within the megastructure to house all necessary public facilities for a
                        town at successive stages in its growth (c.15,000 to c.100,000 pop.). We
                        need the low figure as a base point and we need the upper figure for
                        growth. We can consider commercial and residential space separately.

                        We should see if there is data on this. Let's each do some searching and
                        I'll contact a friend who is a university Librarian. Maybe we can get lucky.

                        If not, the two of us may as well iron out the questions and determine our
                        appointments. What information do we need? sq.footage; power requirements;
                        number of employees required; costs of specialized equipment...???
                      • mobius
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 12, 2003
                          Lou (and everyone else)

                          I just wanted to clarify a few important things. First of all, Robert Rainmaker is a tribal name that I was using while I was jouneying through the west a few years ago (during which I did a workshop at Arcosanti with Randall). My given name is Robert Matthews, so there may have been a little confusion. If fact, I'm pretty sure we met at the first Arcosanti Alumni Reunion??

                          The domain name ARCOLOGY.ORG is registered to me, through 2005. I'm not sure when you did the whois lookup, but it should show the updated registration.

                          The email failed because the arcodev@... address is no longer valid. The contact information SHOULD show my current email address - arcologist@... - the very same used here in the group list. I am in the process of chaning over the contact info. This should be complete in a week or so. Then I can request the URL to redirect to your IP Address.

                          I would very much like for you to host the site and for this group to use this domain name as a resource. That is exactly why I secured it a few years ago. I have always had grand intentions of turning it into something really important, but so far my dedication to this project has been lacking. So I am happy to let this become a group effort - which will certainly be stronger than anything I could have done myself anyhow.

                          I certainly look forward to this site becoming a valuable resource. One I intend to contribute heartily to as well.

                          Furthermore, I agree that we should make a separate list for the web site development. And if you want to discuss any of the details of transferring the URL, etc, please contact me directly at arcologist@....

                          Thanks,

                          Robert (Rainmaker) Matthews

                          University of Washington
                          Department of Architecture
                          Seattle, Washington

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 12, 2003
                            Randall and Eric,
                            as i understand it, Soleri/Arcosanti is focusing on minimal space requirements/needs (those claustrophic 8 by 8 by 8 cubes) for residents and the community as a whole......What would be the standard for the arcology proposed? Would 1500 square feet for a family of four be considered a standard? Then what about public space: schools, governement offices, community rooms, libraries? And of course, commercial and industrial space; do the planners (I guess that would be some of us here) wish to set up certain requirements/codes for businesses to adhere to so as to use as minimal amount of space as possible? Thoughts? Perhaps I am projecting my own assumptions that a sprawling arcology would be self-defeating.....and therefore worth avoiding.

                            Thoughts?

                            Dan Keram
                          • terrydrinkard <terrydrinkard@yahoo.com>
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 13, 2003
                              --- In arcology@yahoogroups.com, keramfamily@j... wrote:
                              > ... And of course, commercial and industrial space; do the planners
                              (I guess that would be some of us here) wish to set up certain
                              requirements/codes for businesses to adhere to so as to use as minimal
                              amount of space as possible? Thoughts? Perhaps I am projecting my own
                              assumptions that a sprawling arcology would be self-defeating.....and
                              therefore worth avoiding.

                              > Thoughts?

                              One incentive to be efficient with space is a city tax that goes up
                              steeply if that space is empty or unproductive. Sort of an inverted
                              "Laffer" curve, if you will. If the space is highly productive, a low
                              tax/unit of productivity will create high total revenue. If the space
                              is moderately productive with a low tax, it creates moderate revenue.
                              If it is totally unproductive and highly taxed, the owner/leasee has
                              an incentive to release the space for more productive uses.

                              Terry
                            • terrydrinkard <terrydrinkard@yahoo.com>
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 13, 2003
                                Try "Urban Planning and Design Criteria" 2d Ed Joseph DeChiara/Lee
                                Koppelman for data on city infrastructure requirements. There are many
                                other city and regional planning texts and reference works available
                                at the local library.

                                Terry
                              • Eric Blyth <ejbxxx@hotmail.com>
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 13, 2003
                                  I'm glad to see the idea for a website has not died! I'd love to do
                                  what I can do make the website a success... In all honesty,
                                  programming and web creation is not my thing. I'd like to help out
                                  more in the design and layout of the website, as well as some of the
                                  contents. I've also got some great ideas for the site, although
                                  someone with more expertise in that area would have to create it.

                                  Thanks again for offering your URL's, it's greatly appreciated!
                                  Let's see what we can do! I think the first step should be to get
                                  the webmaster access over to whoever it is that will be doing to
                                  programming for the site. Once that is done, we can lay down some
                                  ground-work and build-up from there.

                                  WHat does everyone else think?

                                  arcologist@h... - the very same used here in the group list. I am in

                                  arcologist@h...

                                  > Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Robert (Rainmaker) Matthews
                                  >
                                  > University of Washington
                                  > Department of Architecture
                                  > Seattle, Washington
                                • Randall Hunt
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 14, 2003
                                    >...I think the first step should be to get
                                    >the webmaster access over to whoever it is that will be doing to
                                    >programming for the site. Once that is done, we can lay down some
                                    >ground-work and build-up from there.
                                    >
                                    >WHat does everyone else think?

                                    Develop the site first. A working URL will neither help nor hinder the
                                    development of a usable site so why go to the formal bother and expense of
                                    changing ISPs (as if that really needs to happen anyway) before there is
                                    something to upload? Do the hard work first: create the site. One doesn't
                                    need a URL to do that. Sure, moving the URL is exciting but real progress
                                    means pulling together the content and scripting the site.

                                    Have patience. Tackle things in order.
                                  • Chris ScottHanson