Arcologists Unite

  • ottawa_future
    Message 1 of 36 , Nov 5, 2002
      Throughout my explorations of the internet and community newspapers
      in search of information on arcology, one thing has become quite
      evident: people are generally oppposed to the idea of mass
      population living in one giant edifice.

      This is primarily due to society's current way of living. A look at
      the "American Dream" explains this a little better: a nice little
      house in the coutry, big back yard, white-picket fence, car in the
      driveway, family dog, etc...

      Well, news flash everyone, times are changing, and the time has come
      where we can no longer all have this dream. It's time for a new
      dream, the "International Dream" if you wish, where everyone lives in
      peace, and everyone shares everything. Paolo Soleri's theory of
      arcology addresses many of the degredations faced by today's society,
      but only futurists, (such as we here in this Yahoo Arco Group), are
      prone to accept this theory.

      We know it will work, we know it is the solution to many problems,
      yet nothing is being done about it. Paolo Soleri in fact, is the
      only one who can truly claim any progress in the matter.

      Truth is, there are enough of us on this planet that firmly believe
      in this theory to make this work. If only we could unite, to work
      together, share ideas... We need one unified website, not each our
      own. We need a Chat location and schedule regular meetings. We need
      to create an organization who's sole purpose is the succesful
      completion of an arcology.

      Together, as an organization focused on making arcology the new norm
      in the world today, our goal would be to determine a suitable site
      for an arcology, create funding opportunities, tender contracts and
      complete construction of the project before the next millenium.

      Site selection is important: it needs to be built in a "neutral"
      country or territory, to demonstrate to the world what is possible
      when mankind is unified, and help eliminate man's need to aggress thy
      neighbour.

      What say you? Can we do this? I think we can, and I think here is a
      good place to start... Please post your thoughts...
    • Eric Blyth <ejbxxx@hotmail.com>
      Message 36 of 36 , Dec 13, 2002
        Hi Louis,

        Thanks for the offer, that's terrific! I'd love a personal email
        address... What format are we going to use???

        eblyth@...
        ericblytharcologynetwork.org
        eric.blytharcologynetwork.org

        etc...

        I also think we should have a few generic email addresses reserved
        for when our website is up. ie. info@... and
        membership@..., admin@..., and maybe
        a few others...

        Thanks again for the great offer!!!