Re: [arcology] Carfree Cities III Conference

  • Party of Citizens
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22, 2002
      In Vancouver there is a main street in the downtown core called Granville
      which is closed to traffic except for buses and emergency vehicles. Many
      of the buses are electric. The sidewalks are lined with trees which
      camouflage the overhead wires as they tend to be unaesthetic. The
      Granville Street design could be used throughout Vancouver (area about 6
      miles x 6 miles and population 500,000) and cars could be relegated to
      automated parkades on the perimeter which are burglar-proof. Even "the
      boys from Surrey" (boasting the highest auto theft rate in North America)
      couldn't steal a car from one of them. Moving sidewalks could also be
      incorporated into Vancouver street designs. Overall, 30 people who now
      lose their lives every year from traffic fatalities would still be alive.
      Air pollution and noise pollution would be minimized.

      POC