A thought occurs

  • Peter (Sci)
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2002
      While reading Randalls page, I thought of something regarding the issue of
      lighting. It mentions mirrors, glass blocks, and light-tubes, but I
      suddenly recalled a drinking fountain I once saw on TV. They'd put a window
      in the pipe with a multi-coloured lamp behind it, so when used the water
      arcing out of the tap shimmered through a rainbow of colours.
      It strikes me as cost/energy-saving if large water pipes could be used to
      pipe light as well. The direction of water flow shouldn't matter, so maybe
      large lines going to AND from solar heaters on the outer surface? If
      anything, I would think it might even increase the efficiency of the heaters
      if the light flows through the water so far.

      Thoughts?

      Sci
    • Daniel DeLorme
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2002
        "Peter (Sci)" wrote:

        > It strikes me as cost/energy-saving if large water pipes could be used to
        > pipe light as well. The direction of water flow shouldn't matter, so maybe
        > large lines going to AND from solar heaters on the outer surface? If
        > anything, I would think it might even increase the efficiency of the heaters
        > if the light flows through the water so far.

        This is really a beautiful thought. Finding a second use for something as
        common as a water pipe is something that I know would strike fancy in any
        engineer's mind. Very simple yet remarkably ingenious. Carry water... and
        carry light at the same time since these two ressources can occupy the same
        space at the same time! Beautiful, just beautiful.

        I'm not so sure about cost-effective though. In order not to lose the light
        inside the pipe, you'd need to coat the interior with a reflective material,
        making the water pipe essentially a big "fiber optic cable". But with the
        added cost of that reflective coating, it would probably be cheaper to use
        real fiber optic.

        Namárië,
        Daniel "42" DeLorme /| |¯|/¯¯¯\
        ICQ:11411269, AIM:DanFortyTwo / |_| | ¯| |
        encyclopedist @ http://www.animenewsnetwork.com |___ | / /_
        webmaster @ http://dan42.com (Jin-Roh, Millennium Actress) |_||____|
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      • Peter (Sci)
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2002
          > This is really a beautiful thought. Finding a second use for something as
          > common as a water pipe is something that I know would strike fancy in any
          > engineer's mind. Very simple yet remarkably ingenious. Carry water... and
          > carry light at the same time since these two ressources can occupy the
          same
          > space at the same time! Beautiful, just beautiful.
          >
          > I'm not so sure about cost-effective though. In order not to lose the
          light
          > inside the pipe, you'd need to coat the interior with a reflective
          material,
          > making the water pipe essentially a big "fiber optic cable". But with the
          > added cost of that reflective coating, it would probably be cheaper to use
          > real fiber optic.

          Hmmm, depends on the coating. I can't help recall a book I read on the
          theory of nuclear tunneling. Burrowing through rock with a nuclear pile,
          melting the earth ahead and letting it set into a glassy magma-like rock to
          make the tunnel walls. I don't know if there's a material that could be
          heat-treated to form a glassy-surface is there?

          I also recall a telescope that was being made using a polished aluminium
          mirror, that when done enough was just as good as a conventional glass one.
          Perhaps metal pipes and some sort of periodical polishing by robot sent down
          the pipes when turned off?

          I like the image of a dark central hall, lit only by serveral glowing
          waterfalls...

          Sci
        • Louis Dallara
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002

            I like the image of a dark central hall, lit only by serveral glowing
            waterfalls...

            Sci

             Can some one model that image in 3D , it definenty brings a cool vision to my mind.

             I'm seeing a starburst intersection of multiple dark hall ways with intersections of lighted waterfalls
             going vertical.

            Lou
          • keramfamily@juno.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
              Sounds like Valhalla, or perhaps tha hall of the Mountain king.

              On Sun, 04 Aug 2002 08:50:16 -0400 Louis Dallara <ldallara@...> writes:

              I like the image of a dark central hall, lit only by serveral glowing
              waterfalls...

              Sci

               Can some one model that image in 3D , it definenty brings a cool vision to my mind.

               I'm seeing a starburst intersection of multiple dark hall ways with intersections of lighted waterfalls
               going vertical.

              Lou

              Site of the month. The 500 year Town. L. Gene Zellmer 1998
              http://www.www60829.w1.com/

              *

            • Peter (Sci)
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 6, 2002
                Once I've cleared enough space, this could be a good image for me to break
                out the airbrush on (if the inks haven't dried up by now).

                Sci