Re: [arcology] Digest Number 188

  • Doctress Neutopia
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2001
      Jim writes:
      > "What kind of sustainable industries would there be? Do we create a local
      > economy?" Crucial questions. Maybe the size of an arcology should be
      > determined mostly by the number of people that can be comfortably
      supported
      > with local agriculture.

      This seems very sustainable and reasonable. The more people though, the more
      agricultural needs there would be. Also part of the economic labor system
      would be to have everyone working part time in the gardens. Maybe it would
      be only several hours a week, but all people have to get their hands in the
      dirt. So this could be a new bases for an economic system. Then if we look
      at the Twin Oaks example (an intentional community) in VA, we might be some
      answers as to how to create a fair labor credit system.

      We don't want this to end up a class system like runs Arcosanti now. Paolo
      is a absentee landlord and the serf class has not economic or political
      power.

      . Because of latitude, temperature,
      > etc., different crops will grow better in different arcologies, so there
      > will be trade among the various cities, at least for produce.

      Nice idea!

      Such cities could specialize in power
      > generation, exporting power to less sun-rich cities to the north and
      south.
      > Maybe they could commit some of their power to a heavy industry, like
      > smelting. Ocean arcologies might also export energy, this from sun, wave
      > power, thermohaline pumps sunk deep into the water, and wind. It's almost
      > certain that non-carbon-emitting power sources will be in great demand
      later
      > in this century, so these arguments might sell very well to developers.

      Yes, I see this vision too. Bucky Fuller wrote about creating a world energy
      grid. In order to make this vision work we have to think on an international
      level.

      > The internal economies of such "dedicated" arcologies would largely be
      > driven by the labor necessary to conduct whatever economic function around
      > which the city is designed. You'd need a lot of people interested in
      > hydroponic farming to live in the agro-cities, you'd need steelworkers for
      > the smelter-cities, Presumably, the vaunted high-tech cities would spring
      > up,
      > and you'd need techno types for these. Or a mix of a number of these
      > functions could be deployed in a given city, so people of all stripes
      would
      > live together.

      I see this too that certain arcologies would function as special research
      and production areas.
      But all arcologies would have basic things the same.

      neutopia