Re: Which of these two 40 gig hards drive should I buy?

  • wideasleep1
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
      Jose-You could be right, but I was surprised to see this:
      http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=100409

      --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "Jose M. Sanchez" <opjose@c...> wrote:
      > Though I like and have a Travelstar...
      >
      > AFAIK The pixie dust drives haven't hit the market yet...
      >
      > -JMS

      Don't
      > think you can go wrong with either!
    • Jose M. Sanchez
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2002
        Message
        Wow...

        Here come the REAL high densities...

        40gigs will be no more than an I/O buffer for pixie dust drives.

        Time to readjust the thinking... Terabytes...

        -JMS

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2002
          Just for info, I have a Fujitsu 40Gb drive in my Archos which has
          been flawless and quiet so far.. My previous 30Gb Fujitsu drive did
          die though (under warranty - should be replaced soon I hope!) so I
          don't know how reliable they are.

          One thing to note is that the 40Gb Fujitsu (MHR2040AT) uses less
          power than the 30Gb one I had (MHN2300AT) so the batteries last
          longer - although still not as long as with the original 6Gb drive.

          In the UK, at least, the Fujitsu drives are significantly cheaper and
          often easier to get hold of than the IBM or Toshiba equivalents.

          Keith.

          --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "Jim Gorsline" <jim@g...> wrote:
          > www.googlegear.com has 2 cheap 40 Gig 2.5 inch 9.5mm high notebook
          hard drives - an IBM Travelstar Model C25N040ATCS04 and a Toshiba
          MK4018GAP. See http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?
          ProductCode=101601 for the Toshiba and
          http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=100409
          for the IBM Travelstar.

          > The Toshiba is $162 and the IBM is $158. Anybody have any strong
          recommendations between the two - for replacing the 6gig in the
          AJB6000? Both prices seem pretty good and are cheaper than what
          these drives are going for on Ebay.
        • uwiz
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 7, 2002
            --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "Jose M. Sanchez" <opjose@c...> wrote:
            > 40gigs will be no more than an I/O buffer for pixie dust drives.
            >
            > Time to readjust the thinking... Terabytes...

            Just imagine how painful it will be loading a disk that big over
            USB1.1 :)

            I'm not going to go bigger than 12 in my original AJBR (6G), because
            that's what I've got lying around. Once I have an AJBR20, after I
            start to find 20G limiting, I'll look into what's available in a
            9.5mm drive then... the last I looked it was 30, and now I see from
            this thread it's already hit 40!