RE: [archosjukebox6000] Re: Which of these two 40 gig hards drive should I buy?

  • Jose M. Sanchez
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
      Message
      Though I like and have a Travelstar...

      AFAIK The pixie dust drives haven't hit the market yet...

      -JMS
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
        Jose-You could be right, but I was surprised to see this:
        http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=100409

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2002
          Message
          Wow...

          Here come the REAL high densities...

          40gigs will be no more than an I/O buffer for pixie dust drives.

          Time to readjust the thinking... Terabytes...

          -JMS

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2002
            Just for info, I have a Fujitsu 40Gb drive in my Archos which has
            been flawless and quiet so far.. My previous 30Gb Fujitsu drive did
            die though (under warranty - should be replaced soon I hope!) so I
            don't know how reliable they are.

            One thing to note is that the 40Gb Fujitsu (MHR2040AT) uses less
            power than the 30Gb one I had (MHN2300AT) so the batteries last
            longer - although still not as long as with the original 6Gb drive.

            In the UK, at least, the Fujitsu drives are significantly cheaper and
            often easier to get hold of than the IBM or Toshiba equivalents.

            Keith.

            --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "Jim Gorsline" <jim@g...> wrote:
            > www.googlegear.com has 2 cheap 40 Gig 2.5 inch 9.5mm high notebook
            hard drives - an IBM Travelstar Model C25N040ATCS04 and a Toshiba
            MK4018GAP. See http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?
            ProductCode=101601 for the Toshiba and
            http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=100409
            for the IBM Travelstar.

            > The Toshiba is $162 and the IBM is $158. Anybody have any strong
            recommendations between the two - for replacing the 6gig in the
            AJB6000? Both prices seem pretty good and are cheaper than what
            these drives are going for on Ebay.
          • uwiz
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 7, 2002
              --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "Jose M. Sanchez" <opjose@c...> wrote:
              > 40gigs will be no more than an I/O buffer for pixie dust drives.
              >
              > Time to readjust the thinking... Terabytes...

              Just imagine how painful it will be loading a disk that big over
              USB1.1 :)

              I'm not going to go bigger than 12 in my original AJBR (6G), because
              that's what I've got lying around. Once I have an AJBR20, after I
              start to find 20G limiting, I'll look into what's available in a
              9.5mm drive then... the last I looked it was 30, and now I see from
              this thread it's already hit 40!