Re: jukebox 20 car kit

  • atradiesoriginal
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2002
      Another suggestion, which is what I use, is to buy a power
      inverter. Though this can be more expensive ($50 from Best
      Buy, or $18 with my discount ;P) it will allow you to plug in
      anything, like a laptop, TV/VCR, Microwave, Refridgerator, okay
      maybe not anything. This way you already have the AC Adapter.
      Its an option.

      Kurt

      --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "iwoodland" <iwoodland@b...>
      wrote:
      > I want to be able to charge my jukebox whilst driving but dont
      need
      > all the car kit that archos sells. just need a plain old recharger.
      > any suggestions if it is ok just to buy a generic one
      somewhere like
      > you can for mobile phones etc. concerned about the correct
      power
      > going in etc.
      >
      > Comments welcome
      >
      > Ian
    • michael carr
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2002
        my 150watt inverter takes 30 amps. that's quite a lot of power to be
        pulling for a mp3 player. I agree that they have some use for strictly
        AC apliances, but unless you want to run AC electronics in your car i'd
        stick with a DC-DC supply. you'll put less strain on your
        battery/alternator and its cheaper/smaller/easier.

        mikey >;)

        --- atradiesoriginal <kriebe@...> wrote:
        > Another suggestion, which is what I use, is to buy a power
        > inverter. Though this can be more expensive ($50 from Best
        > Buy, or $18 with my discount ;P) it will allow you to plug in
        > anything, like a laptop, TV/VCR, Microwave, Refridgerator, okay
        > maybe not anything. This way you already have the AC Adapter.
        > Its an option.
        >
        > Kurt
        >
        > --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "iwoodland" <iwoodland@b...>
        > wrote:
        > > I want to be able to charge my jukebox whilst driving but dont
        > need
        > > all the car kit that archos sells. just need a plain old recharger.
        >
        > > any suggestions if it is ok just to buy a generic one
        > somewhere like
        > > you can for mobile phones etc. concerned about the correct
        > power
        > > going in etc.
        > >
        > > Comments welcome
        > >
        > > Ian

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • Peter H
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2002
          It shouldn't be pulling 30 Amps *all* the time, only when you want to
          draw maximum power. 30 Amps is 360 watt!! for a 150 watt inverter thats
          a hell-ov-an-overhead. My 25watt inverter can be run from a cigarette
          lighter socket, it will run most of the mobile things I use - laptop,
          phone, pda. I wouldn't try and run them all at the same time, there's
          no point.

          Your inverter should only draw enough current to satisfy the demand made
          on it. In the case of the archos thats, what? 4-600mA? Even with a
          *very* inefficient inverter you shouldn't draw more than 1.5 amps. A 30
          Amp inverter must be huge!!! The execess heat that thing must be
          kicking out should be enough to melt the ice caps!! <G>

          Peter H