Jukebox6000 vs Recorder20 sound quality

  • Björn Stenberg
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
      Hi all.

      I just bought my second Archos yesterday. I have a trusty old Jukebox 6000
      since about a year and now I got the new Recorder20.

      What strikes me, which I was not expecting, is the great sound quality
      improvement. I have not seen anyone mention this before, maybe not so many
      people have listened to both models?

      The Recorder20 is louder and stronger. I had the 6k on full or 90% bass
      most of the time, while I keep the Recorder on flat settings and still
      feel it has a richer sound than the old model.

      As for volume, at the office I play the Recorder at 1/7th volume (first of
      the 7 "notches" on the bar) while the 6K rarely was played below 50%.

      I'm planning to do TJs cap mod on the old unit, to bring bass and volume
      up a notch. But on the new recorder there is absolutely no need to modify
      anything.

      So now I'm curious if anyone has the old recorder model and has compared
      the sound to the 6000. I wonder if the sound fix was implemented in the
      Recorder or in the Recorder20.

      (As a side note; does anyone else feel the VU bars are totally unnecessary
      during playback? They just clutter the screen.)

      --
      Björn
      Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware - http://bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
        Hi,

        Does Anyone has an idea if recording quality has been improved
        between AJBR6 and AJBR20 ? espcially thru line-in...

        Henri
      • chicken_madder
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
          --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., Björn Stenberg <bjorn@h...> wrote:
          > Hi all.
          >
          > I just bought my second Archos yesterday. I have a trusty old
          Jukebox 6000
          > since about a year and now I got the new Recorder20.
          >
          > What strikes me, which I was not expecting, is the great sound
          quality
          > improvement. I have not seen anyone mention this before, maybe not
          so many
          > people have listened to both models?
          >
          > The Recorder20 is louder and stronger. I had the 6k on full or 90%
          bass
          > most of the time, while I keep the Recorder on flat settings and
          still
          > feel it has a richer sound than the old model.
          >
          > As for volume, at the office I play the Recorder at 1/7th volume
          (first of
          > the 7 "notches" on the bar) while the 6K rarely was played below
          50%.

          > I'm planning to do TJs cap mod on the old unit, to bring bass and
          volume
          > up a notch. But on the new recorder there is absolutely no need to
          modify
          > anything.
          >
          > So now I'm curious if anyone has the old recorder model and has
          compared
          > the sound to the 6000. I wonder if the sound fix was implemented in
          the
          > Recorder or in the Recorder20.
          >
          > (As a side note; does anyone else feel the VU bars are totally
          unnecessary
          > during playback? They just clutter the screen.)
          >
          > --
          > Björn
          > Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware -
          http://bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/

          I can't comment on the recorder, but with the mod (I used 220uF caps
          with 10R series resistors) the sound on the AJB is about the best
          I've heard from a portable unit - so if the recorder is better, I'm
          impressed!! If you've had the bass cranked up on the AJB (anywhere
          passed the first notch), the sound really starts to distort (at least
          to my ears), so this may explain the dramatic difference in sound
          quality.
        • hawkeye
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
            i've listened to both the ajb6000 and the ajbr6gig. the recorder's sound
            quality is much better off the shelf. many people have mentioned this in
            many places. it's one of the main reasons i got the recorder instead of the
            6000. i haven't heard the modded 6000, but by all accounts it's a huge
            improvement tho a fairly dicey mod even for the stout-hearted. then again i
            haven't heard of anyone who's tried to do the mod and screwed up their
            player . . . .

            haughki
            > I just bought my second Archos yesterday. I have a trusty old
            Jukebox 6000
            > since about a year and now I got the new Recorder20.
            >
            > What strikes me, which I was not expecting, is the great sound
            quality
            > improvement. I have not seen anyone mention this before, maybe not
            so many
            > people have listened to both models?
            >
            > The Recorder20 is louder and stronger. I had the 6k on full or 90%
            bass
            > most of the time, while I keep the Recorder on flat settings and
            still
            > feel it has a richer sound than the old model.
            >
            > As for volume, at the office I play the Recorder at 1/7th volume
            (first of
            > the 7 "notches" on the bar) while the 6K rarely was played below
            50%.

            > I'm planning to do TJs cap mod on the old unit, to bring bass and
            volume
            > up a notch. But on the new recorder there is absolutely no need to
            modify
            > anything.
            >
            > So now I'm curious if anyone has the old recorder model and has
            compared
            > the sound to the 6000. I wonder if the sound fix was implemented in
            the
            > Recorder or in the Recorder20.
            >
            > (As a side note; does anyone else feel the VU bars are totally
            unnecessary
            > during playback? They just clutter the screen.)
            >
            > --
            > Björn
            > Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware -
            http://bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/

            I can't comment on the recorder, but with the mod (I used 220uF caps
            with 10R series resistors) the sound on the AJB is about the best
            I've heard from a portable unit - so if the recorder is better, I'm
            impressed!! If you've had the bass cranked up on the AJB (anywhere
            passed the first notch), the sound really starts to distort (at least
            to my ears), so this may explain the dramatic difference in sound
            quality.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Jose M. Sanchez
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
              Message
              Since the AJBStudio 20 is based upon the 6k's hardware it's very likely that all Archos did was to modify the output stage to improve the sound. This would have circumvented a re-engineering of all of the circuit boards, and reduced their costs.

              That being the case, the AJBS20 probably sounds like a moded AJB6K.

              I run the modded AJB6k at 40-50% volume with the base just SLIGHTLY boosted or flat. And it's about the same as it was with the AJB at 80-90% volume and the bass almost fully up. Actually that is not strictly true because with the mod the low end bass doesn't roll off as much...

              It's much better than the AJB6K and the boosteroo alone... (no hiss for one, and better low end...).

              -JMS

              > I just bought my second Archos yesterday. I have a trusty old
              Jukebox 6000
              > since about a year and now I got the new Recorder20.
              >
              > What strikes me, which I was not expecting, is the great sound
              quality
              > improvement. I have not seen anyone mention this before, maybe not
              so many
              > people have listened to both models?
              >
              > The Recorder20 is louder and stronger. I had the 6k on full or 90%
              bass
              > most of the time, while I keep the Recorder on flat settings and
              still
              > feel it has a richer sound than the old model.
              >
              > As for volume, at the office I play the Recorder at 1/7th volume
              (first of
              > the 7 "notches" on the bar) while the 6K rarely was played below
              50%.

              > I'm planning to do TJs cap mod on the old unit, to bring bass and
              volume
              > up a notch. But on the new recorder there is absolutely no need to
              modify
              > anything.
              >
              > So now I'm curious if anyone has the old recorder model and has
              compared
              > the sound to the 6000. I wonder if the sound fix was implemented in
              the
              > Recorder or in the Recorder20.
              >
              > (As a side note; does anyone else feel the VU bars are totally
              unnecessary
              > during playback? They just clutter the screen.)
              >
              > --
              > Björn
              > Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware -
              http://bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/

              I can't comment on the recorder, but with the mod (I used 220uF caps
              with 10R series resistors) the sound on the AJB is about the best
              I've heard from a portable unit - so if the recorder is better, I'm
              impressed!!  If you've had the bass cranked up on the AJB (anywhere
              passed the first notch), the sound really starts to distort (at least
              to my ears), so this may explain the dramatic difference in sound
              quality.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Brent Geery
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
                On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 18:13:07 -0500, "Jose M. Sanchez" <opjose@...>
                wrote:

                > I run the modded AJB6k at 40-50% volume with the base just SLIGHTLY
                > boosted or flat. And it's about the same as it was with the AJB at
                > 80-90% volume and the bass almost fully up. Actually that is not
                > strictly true because with the mod the low end bass doesn't roll off as
                > much...
                >
                > It's much better than the AJB6K and the boosteroo alone... (no hiss for
                > one, and better low end...).

                Jose, did you find time to make a step-by-step guide yet?

                --
                BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)

                Fast Times At Ridgemont High Info http://www.FastTimesAtRidgemontHigh.org
                Voted #87 - American Film Institute's Top 100 Funniest American Films
              • Jose M. Sanchez
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 5, 2002
                  Message
                  It's in the works...

                  Now if someone cares to host it for me?

                  -JMS

                  > I run the modded AJB6k at 40-50% volume with the base just SLIGHTLY
                  > boosted or flat. And it's about the same as it was with the AJB at
                  > 80-90% volume and the bass almost fully up. Actually that is not
                  > strictly true because with the mod the low end bass doesn't roll off as
                  > much...

                  > It's much better than the AJB6K and the boosteroo alone... (no hiss for
                  > one, and better low end...).

                  Jose, did you find time to make a step-by-step guide yet?

                  --
                • Jeremy Brooks
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 5, 2002
                    I can host it for ya. Email me privately at jeremyb@... if you're interested.

                    On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 07:26:04PM -0500, Jose M. Sanchez wrote:
                    > It's in the works...
                    >
                    > Now if someone cares to host it for me?
                    >
                    > -JMS

                  • stevechristall
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 7, 2002
                      I now have (had) the AJBR20 and a modded AJB6000 (440uF additional
                      per channel) and yes the how-to will be finished and up at lunchtime
                      today.

                      They now sound about the same. There is a little more control of the
                      sound avail through the AJBR's loudness, bass boost + bass and treble
                      controls, but I am happy with the sound now from the modded ARB6000.
                      I bought the AJBR20 simply because of the improved sound (USB2 was
                      the final push)

                      I miss the independent volume control buttons on the recorder, but
                      that is about it. I like the AJB6000 because its nav is faster and
                      the ff / rw works properly. Also it does not have the whine noise at
                      low volumes prob of the recorder.

                      I recommend Sennheiser air buds. I have MX400's, they have good bass
                      response.

                      Luckily I sold my AJBR20 to my friend last night for £10 less than I
                      paid :o), so, so-long and back to good old faithful

                      Still going to try the iPod again ..... want smaller .... price
                      hurts, not sure about PC s/w for it either

                      Also going to try to make some LED boards up this weekend for the
                      AJB6000

                      Will followup with URL later today

                      Cheers
                      Steve

                      --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "Jose M. Sanchez" <opjose@h...> wrote:
                      > Since the AJBStudio 20 is based upon the 6k's hardware it's very
                      likely
                      > that all Archos did was to modify the output stage to improve the
                      sound.
                      > This would have circumvented a re-engineering of all of the circuit
                      > boards, and reduced their costs.
                      >
                      > That being the case, the AJBS20 probably sounds like a moded AJB6K.
                      >
                      > I run the modded AJB6k at 40-50% volume with the base just SLIGHTLY
                      > boosted or flat. And it's about the same as it was with the AJB at
                      > 80-90% volume and the bass almost fully up. Actually that is not
                      > strictly true because with the mod the low end bass doesn't roll
                      off as
                      > much...
                      >
                      > It's much better than the AJB6K and the boosteroo alone... (no hiss
                      for
                      > one, and better low end...).
                      >
                      > -JMS

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=218512.1856015.3360178.1269402/D=egroupweb/S=17