Re: [archosjukebox6000] Got a Question

  • Arthur Shih
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
      On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 21:57:26 -0900
      "matt smith" <mwsadc@...> wrote:

      > When I upgraded my AJB6000 to a 20gb drive, I put inthe new Energizer
      > ACCUrechargables, the blue version, 1600mAh AA batteries. WalMart in
      > the US has a set of 4 for about $12.

      4 Panasonic 1600mAh Ni-MH batteries(one set) are $12.99 in Fry's (CA,
      USA)

      Arthur

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
        its worth noting that although Nimh batteries do not stuffer from the
        memory effect that plauges nicad batteries, in my experience it is
        worth fully discharging nimh betteries every now and then (say every
        month or two) to keep the battery in top condition.

        --- In archosjukebox6000@y..., "matt smith" <mwsadc@a...> wrote:
        > Jose, I believe overcharging NiMH batteries actually does impact
        their
        > performance & life. Most applications use either a 2 or 3 stage
        > charging system to basically provide a high current fast charge in
        the
        > 1st hour and then a lower current to complete the charge cycle, as
        per
        > the recommendations of the manufacture. When I upgraded my AJB6000
        to a
        > 20gb drive, I put in the new Energizer ACCUrechargables, the blue
        > version, 1600mAh AA batteries. WalMart in the US has a set of 4
        for
        > about $12. For more details, see:

        http://data.energizer.com/batteryinfo/application_manuals/nimh_applica
        tion_manual.htm

        > I now use a multi-voltage charger, set it at 12v for the 1st hour,
        then
        > drop it to the 9v setting. After several additional hours,
        depending on
        > the level of discharge, and I do actually get the "Battery Charged"
        message.

        > -- Matt
        >
        > Jose M. Sanchez wrote:
        >
        > > Yes the included adaptor for the US market is BAAAD. Reversing
        the
        > > polarity will fry the charging circuit.
        > >

        > > That said, y ou can purchase a Radio Shack adaptor and GLUE the H
        tip
        > > in place to avoid problems.
        > >

        > > Overcharging NiMH batteries has little to no effect. Not to get
        into a
        > > long discourse, there are SOME effects, but they are so long term
        that
        > > by the time you have to worry about it, you'll want a new set of
        > > batteries anyway.
        > >

        > > You might be thinking of NiCD's...
        > >

        > > -JMS

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212180.1660613.3195489.1269402/D=egroupweb/S=17
        08298795:HM/A=812074/R=0/*http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?
        a=b153340270003000>

        Service
        > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      • Jose M. Sanchez
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
          Message
          I've been down this road in various discussions before, so I really don't want to get into this.

          Yes there ARE effects on NiMH batteries.

          And no it's ok, really!

          The NiMH wear down so slowly that it doesn't really matter. If in a year or so you have to replace them, it's such a small matter ($14.00) that the cost of an expensive charger (which lowers the lifespan of the AJB due to constantly replacing the batteries) pales by comparison.

          I've been using the same set of batteries since January, CONSTANTLY connected to the RS wall wart. I only unplug the AJB when I leave with my player. I've had NO noticable decrease in performance or playtime.

          If I have to spend another $14.00 in January for this convinience, so be it.

          I will not be pulling my hair out over watching over the batteries like a shrew.

          I love this quote:

          "We do have to admit that many people have become way too concerned with the technical aspects of NiMH batteries, which in our opinion is a waste of time. Which battey is best , which battery lasts longer, etc....    When was the last time you were in a store and you heard some one asking for detailed information about which alkaline battery is best, which battery lasts longer ?    Even though they were about top pay $5.00 for 4 "' AA " alkaline batteries and then just throw them away when they were completely run down.     Yet now when they can purchase a set of 4 NiMH rechargeable batteries for About $ 10.00 to $15.00 on average, and considering they will effectively replace 500 to 1000 sets of alkaline batteries, saving Thousands of dollars in batteries, what else do they need to know.     "

          See:

          -JMS

          • davidz_10@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
              Well time to break out the hot glue, I just don't like the idea of
              using another charger, cuz being the fool I am I probably will get
              the polarity mixed, and i doubt that using other adapters are covered
              under warrenty