Re: [archosjukebox6000] Re: Can I jog or run on a treadmill with the archos?

  • Bob Greenspun
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 30, 2001
      I tried running the other day with it, first on a belt loop, then strapped to my arm.  In both cases it was fine until the hard drive needed to access the next chunk of info.  Then it went silent until I stopped long enough for the memory to fill up.  This happened every 2 minutes or so.  When I held the unit in my hand, I did not experience this problem.  The added attraction with carrying the Archos is that it acts like a 2lb hand weight, thereby increasing fitness ;)
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 1, 2001
        That is good to know. I was thinking about a solid state unit rather
        than an archos because of the skipping.

        Anyone else?
      • michael carr
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 1, 2001
          i jog with my 200mmx gateway laptop. talk about weight training ;)

          mikey >;)

          --- Bob Greenspun <lumpstuffy@...> wrote:
          > I tried running the other day with it, first on a belt loop, then
          > strapped to my arm. In both cases it was fine until the hard drive
          > needed to access the next chunk of info. Then it went silent until I
          > stopped long enough for the memory to fill up. This happened every 2
          > minutes or so. When I held the unit in my hand, I did not experience
          > this problem. The added attraction with carrying the Archos is that
          > it acts like a 2lb hand weight, thereby increasing fitness ;)

          http://phone.yahoo.com
        • A.J. Griglak
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 1, 2001
            I just keep it in my pocket...  Never had it skip at all.
            I tried running the other day with it, first on a belt loop, then strapped to my arm.  In both cases it was fine until the hard drive needed to access the next chunk of info.  Then it went silent until I stopped long enough for the memory to fill up.  This happened every 2 minutes or so.  When I held the unit in my hand, I did not experience this problem.  The added attraction with carrying the Archos is that it acts like a 2lb hand weight, thereby increasing fitness ;)
            That is good to know. I was thinking about a solid state unit rather
            than an archos because of the skipping.

            Anyone else?

          • Sutton, Mike (INV-EDH)
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 1, 2001
              I jog with my Gateway Desktop - I have a three mile extension cord, (only good for "out and back" though).
              mike sutton
              i jog with my 200mmx gateway laptop. talk about weight training ;)

              mikey >;)

              --- Bob Greenspun <lumpstuffy@...> wrote:
              > I tried running the other day with it, first on a belt loop, then
              > strapped to my arm.  In both cases it was fine until the hard drive
              > needed to access the next chunk of info.  Then it went silent until I
              > stopped long enough for the memory to fill up.  This happened every 2
              > minutes or so.  When I held the unit in my hand, I did not experience
              > this problem.  The added attraction with carrying the Archos is that
              > it acts like a 2lb hand weight, thereby increasing fitness ;)

              Notice: This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the individual or company to which it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged, confidential and prohibited from disclosure or unauthorized use under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or copying of this e-mail or the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender. If you have received this transmission in error, please return the material received to the sender and delete all copies from your system. Thank you.

            • frivera28@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 1, 2001
                That sucks... Now I am back to getting a solid state mp3 player.
              • Alan Waterman
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 1, 2001
                  fine.....enjoy you 45 minutes of 64kb mono lo-fi

                  --- frivera28@... wrote: > That sucks... Now I

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 1, 2001
                    well I cant get a player that will skip?

                    why could they not increase the buffer size from 2mb to 64 mb

                    or better yet allow you the option of adding more memory to the
                    buffer.
                  • Carl Grasso
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 1, 2001
                      Can we use any type of rechargable batteries in the player? One of the ones that come with it
                      leaked.
                      -Carl

                      =====
                      http://www.dharmacats.com
                      ---
                      With every gust of the wind, the butterfly changes its place on the willow.
                      -Basho

                      http://phone.yahoo.com
                    • michael carr
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 1, 2001
                        make sure they're 1.2 volt, the more mAh the better. you can get them
                        at radioshack @ 1800 mAh's with a charger for 20 bux i believe. sorry,
                        no part #

                        mikey >;)

                        --- Carl Grasso <sarken2@...> wrote:
                        > Can we use any type of rechargable batteries in the player? One of
                        > the ones that come with it
                        > leaked.
                        > -Carl
                        >
                        > =====
                        > http://www.dharmacats.com
                        > ---
                        > With every gust of the wind, the butterfly changes its place on the
                        > willow.
                        > -Basho

                        http://phone.yahoo.com
                      • A.J. Griglak
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 1, 2001
                          Not sure why people are getting all goofy on this thread, but I seriously have taken my AJB mountain biking.  I just put it in my pocket, and all is well - no skips at all...  I've never run with it (cause I hate running), but I could try it out for you if ya want - I'll just run to the mailbox or something.

                          -=A.J.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 1, 2001
                            Message
                            Hindsight is always 20/20.

                            When they were designed this was not even an option.

                            Maybe next years crop of MP3 players (if they are not all SMDI compliant or killed by the RIAA) will have all of this.

                            -JMS

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
                              Wanna sell yours and buy a bigger/better one? Mine just pauses and
                              skips too much to be used for my application (to replace the CD
                              changer in my motorcycle). I like the concept, but in practice it
                              just doesn't work well enough.

                              This is after all firmware updates, swapping batteries (always on
                              bike power anyway), 20G disk with 2MB cache, repartioning, swearing,
                              etc.

                              If it worked, it'd be great. Otherwise, it's just an interesting toy.

                              Ken

                            • frivera28@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 3, 2001
                                well thanks but I think it would skip while I was jogging so I might
                                have to wait until there is a better hard drive player out there. One
                                with a upgradeable memory buffer.
                              • frivera28@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 3, 2001
                                  Well I run for like an 30 -60 min on a treadmill and I think it would
                                  start skipping once the Archos needed to go to disk. but if you dont
                                  mind testing it out tht would be great.
                                • OneAU@acs-isp.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 3, 2001
                                    -As long as i carry the player in my hand while i jog i have no
                                    problems, but it skips when i carry it in a pocket or on the belt.