Re: [archosjukebox6000] FW: Off Topic but help needed

  • Chris Holt
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 20, 2007
      Try your question at www.misticriver.net

      Very good forums with knowledgeable people.

      There is also an iRiver section on the Anything But iPod forums
      www.anythingbutipod.com But the site is a little more consumer and a
      little less "tech" oriented.

      Hope that helps,

      Chris

      Goals wrote:

      > My son's Iriver hp 120 has a fault. The screen is showing no tracks, no
      > folders, nothing.
      >
      > But when he plugs it into his computer all his music is there . He has tried
      > reseating hard drive to no avail.
      >
      > Any suggestions where I might get help.
      >
      > There doesn't seem anything like this list for Irivers.
      >
      > Regards
      > Jim Brown
      > --
      >
      > --

    • Goals
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 20, 2007
        Mike et al

        Thanks for the help.

        After finding that the tracks would not play from the MP3 player but viewed
        on Windows Explorer my son backed them up on to his PC. These tracks play
        fine from the PC. He has now reformatted the drive in an effort to get it
        working. We've tried unscrewing the back and reseating the drive to no
        avail.

        This leads me to think that it is not the hard drive but the OS. How do we
        reflash it - does that mean reinstalling the operating system?

        Regards
        Jim
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 20, 2007
          I STILL would not rule out the possibility that there
          is something wrong with the file system format on the
          iRiver's drive. If the iRiver appears to "boot up" to
          the point the most of the functions work, just no
          readable hard drive, I would bet against a problem
          with it's firmware (though it's still a possibility).

          A "wrong" format problem seems to happen occasionally
          on the Archos products that us on this formum are
          familiar with. I don't know all the facts, but here
          is what I think tends to happen. All this information
          is 3rd-hand because I have not experienced any of it
          myself.

          1) The problem seems to begin with WindowsXP. People
          using old Win98/ME computers have never had this
          problem. I also never heard of someone having the
          problem with Win2000 but because of it's similarity to
          XP, I would think it could happen. At least 2 people
          also experienced this problem when they used some 3rd
          party software to partition and format the drive,
          specifically "Partition Magic"

          2) Then the problem happens when they attempt to
          format the drive using the above offending OS. In
          some cases they begin by accidentally formatting it
          with NTFS, which immediately causes the problem, but
          then they reformat it with the proper FAT file system
          and the problem doesn't go away. Other people either
          don't admit that they did this or perhaps start off
          formating as FAT in the first place.

          3) Anyway, at this point over half of the people lose
          their patience and discarded their players. The rest
          were able to solve the problem by plugging their
          player into a Win98 computer and issue an "fdisk /mbr"
          (doesn't this only write a new mbr to the boot disk,
          not any other attached drive?), followed by a disk
          format. Perhaps they did some other subtle things as
          well, and maybe someone could write in and give
          specific instructions.

          4) The [unproven] theory is that WinXP writes a
          slightly different version of a MBR on the first
          sector of the hard drive that the Archos (and perhaps
          iRiver) doesn't understand, and therefore won't read
          the drive. Simple disk formatting will NOT repair
          this. Certain disk partitioning software MAY re-write
          this. I could also give instructions on how to erase
          an MBR using Linux (such as using my Jukebox utility
          disk at:
          http://wartstew.homelinux.net/jud
          or any of the freely downloadable Linux bootable
          CDROMS. Basically the command would go something like
          this:

          dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

          But don't try this at home unless you can determine
          for sure that "/dev/sda" is in fact your Archos/iRiver
          hard drive and NOT your ATA133 boot disk, USB memory
          stick or SD-memory card slot, etc. YOU HAVE BEEN
          WARNED.

          Want to start your own business?
          Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
          http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
        • Mike Cocorochio
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 20, 2007
            --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "Goals" <goals@...> wrote:

            > This leads me to think that it is not the hard drive but the OS. How
            do we
            > reflash it - does that mean reinstalling the operating system?
            >
            > Regards
            > Jim

            This is where you will have to take Chris Holts' very good advice:
            >Try your question at www.misticriver.net

            >Very good forums with knowledgeable people.

            >There is also an iRiver section on the Anything But iPod forums
            >www.anythingbutipod.com But the site is a little more consumer and a
            >little less "tech" oriented.

            Now you can be more specific in you questions to them.
            The iRiver web site should have a support page for their products as
            the flashing steps varies from product to product. (that is if they
            even have the OS available for this purpose) And yes, re-flashing is a
            term for almost any chip resident OS.

            We like our AJB's because they seem to have the unique ability to
            update the OS on the hard drive. (seems to overide the chip OS)

            Mike C.
          • Jim C
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 20, 2007
              I suspect that the hard drive has been formated under XT as the new
              format and you will need to fomat it as FAT drive instead of NTFS. If
              that is the case yu will probably have to find a Win 98 or win 95
              computer and format it using that.