Re: FW: Off Topic but help needed

  • Mike Cocorochio
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 19, 2007
      --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "Goals" <goals@...> wrote:

      > My son's Iriver hp 120 has a fault. The screen is showing no tracks, no
      > folders, nothing.
      >
      > But when he plugs it into his computer all his music is there .

      Jim
      If the hard drive was gone, he would not be able to see his files when
      he plugged it into the PC. (I'm assuming it looks like an ordinary USB
      drive at that point.)
      The two possibilities that I see from this description are:
      1. The basic OS on the Iriver device may need to be reflashed, or the
      ROM is broken.
      2. He may not actually be seeing the iriver drive when he cables it to
      the PC. Some devices with DRM use their own software, and it may keep
      track of what it "supposed" to be on the drive. If you can see the
      files on the drive with Windows Explorer then I think the drive is OK.
      If the drive is OK in Windows, find a cheap Iriver with a broken drive
      and swap it.

      Good luck
      Mike C.
    • Chris Holt
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 20, 2007
        Try your question at www.misticriver.net

        Very good forums with knowledgeable people.

        There is also an iRiver section on the Anything But iPod forums
        www.anythingbutipod.com But the site is a little more consumer and a
        little less "tech" oriented.

        Hope that helps,

        Chris

        Goals wrote:

        > My son's Iriver hp 120 has a fault. The screen is showing no tracks, no
        > folders, nothing.
        >
        > But when he plugs it into his computer all his music is there . He has tried
        > reseating hard drive to no avail.
        >
        > Any suggestions where I might get help.
        >
        > There doesn't seem anything like this list for Irivers.
        >
        > Regards
        > Jim Brown
        > --
        >
        > --

      • Goals
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 20, 2007
          Mike et al

          Thanks for the help.

          After finding that the tracks would not play from the MP3 player but viewed
          on Windows Explorer my son backed them up on to his PC. These tracks play
          fine from the PC. He has now reformatted the drive in an effort to get it
          working. We've tried unscrewing the back and reseating the drive to no
          avail.

          This leads me to think that it is not the hard drive but the OS. How do we
          reflash it - does that mean reinstalling the operating system?

          Regards
          Jim
          > My son's Iriver hp 120 has a fault. The screen is showing no tracks, no
          > folders, nothing.
          >
          > But when he plugs it into his computer all his music is there .

          Jim
          If the hard drive was gone, he would not be able to see his files when
          he plugged it into the PC. (I'm assuming it looks like an ordinary USB
          drive at that point.)
          The two possibilities that I see from this description are:
          1. The basic OS on the Iriver device may need to be reflashed, or the
          ROM is broken.
          2. He may not actually be seeing the iriver drive when he cables it to
          the PC. Some devices with DRM use their own software, and it may keep
          track of what it "supposed" to be on the drive. If you can see the
          files on the drive with Windows Explorer then I think the drive is OK.
          If the drive is OK in Windows, find a cheap Iriver with a broken drive
          and swap it.

          Good luck
          Mike C.

        • James Stewart
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 20, 2007
            I STILL would not rule out the possibility that there
            is something wrong with the file system format on the
            iRiver's drive. If the iRiver appears to "boot up" to
            the point the most of the functions work, just no
            readable hard drive, I would bet against a problem
            with it's firmware (though it's still a possibility).

            A "wrong" format problem seems to happen occasionally
            on the Archos products that us on this formum are
            familiar with. I don't know all the facts, but here
            is what I think tends to happen. All this information
            is 3rd-hand because I have not experienced any of it
            myself.

            1) The problem seems to begin with WindowsXP. People
            using old Win98/ME computers have never had this
            problem. I also never heard of someone having the
            problem with Win2000 but because of it's similarity to
            XP, I would think it could happen. At least 2 people
            also experienced this problem when they used some 3rd
            party software to partition and format the drive,
            specifically "Partition Magic"

            2) Then the problem happens when they attempt to
            format the drive using the above offending OS. In
            some cases they begin by accidentally formatting it
            with NTFS, which immediately causes the problem, but
            then they reformat it with the proper FAT file system
            and the problem doesn't go away. Other people either
            don't admit that they did this or perhaps start off
            formating as FAT in the first place.

            3) Anyway, at this point over half of the people lose
            their patience and discarded their players. The rest
            were able to solve the problem by plugging their
            player into a Win98 computer and issue an "fdisk /mbr"
            (doesn't this only write a new mbr to the boot disk,
            not any other attached drive?), followed by a disk
            format. Perhaps they did some other subtle things as
            well, and maybe someone could write in and give
            specific instructions.

            4) The [unproven] theory is that WinXP writes a
            slightly different version of a MBR on the first
            sector of the hard drive that the Archos (and perhaps
            iRiver) doesn't understand, and therefore won't read
            the drive. Simple disk formatting will NOT repair
            this. Certain disk partitioning software MAY re-write
            this. I could also give instructions on how to erase
            an MBR using Linux (such as using my Jukebox utility
            disk at:
            http://wartstew.homelinux.net/jud
            or any of the freely downloadable Linux bootable
            CDROMS. Basically the command would go something like
            this:

            dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

            But don't try this at home unless you can determine
            for sure that "/dev/sda" is in fact your Archos/iRiver
            hard drive and NOT your ATA133 boot disk, USB memory
            stick or SD-memory card slot, etc. YOU HAVE BEEN
            WARNED.

            Want to start your own business?
            Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
            http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
          • Mike Cocorochio
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 20, 2007
              --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "Goals" <goals@...> wrote:

              > This leads me to think that it is not the hard drive but the OS. How
              do we
              > reflash it - does that mean reinstalling the operating system?
              >
              > Regards
              > Jim

              This is where you will have to take Chris Holts' very good advice:
              >Try your question at www.misticriver.net

              >Very good forums with knowledgeable people.

              >There is also an iRiver section on the Anything But iPod forums
              >www.anythingbutipod.com But the site is a little more consumer and a
              >little less "tech" oriented.

              Now you can be more specific in you questions to them.
              The iRiver web site should have a support page for their products as
              the flashing steps varies from product to product. (that is if they
              even have the OS available for this purpose) And yes, re-flashing is a
              term for almost any chip resident OS.

              We like our AJB's because they seem to have the unique ability to
              update the OS on the hard drive. (seems to overide the chip OS)

              Mike C.
            • Jim C
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 20, 2007
                I suspect that the hard drive has been formated under XT as the new
                format and you will need to fomat it as FAT drive instead of NTFS. If
                that is the case yu will probably have to find a Win 98 or win 95
                computer and format it using that.