JB20 goes kablooie

  • gonefromnj
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 14, 2006
      My JB20 had been acting up a bit lately and before I had a chance to
      back up everything, it seems to have wiped everything out. When I
      turn it on to hook up to the computer I get the Jukebox Wait...# on
      the screen and see only certain folders. On the computer screen,
      using Explorer, I get only a message saying the drive has not been
      formatted. I don't even know exactly what happened.

      I have tried PC Inspector and it managed to recover a few mp3 files,
      which are the least of my worries at this point. Is there any other
      method to recover some of what was on there?

      Also, what do I need to do now, assuming everything that was on there
      is a complete loss, to be able to use this again? Reformat? And how
      exactly do I do this? Yes, my technological knowledge is limited, but
      I'm not an idiot and I can follow directions, so any help will be
      greatly appreciated. I don't want to scrap this "investment" yet.

      Thanks!
    • Mike Cocorochio
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 14, 2006
        The fact that you can see any files is pretty good indictor that you
        may be able to make the drive usefull again. It sounds to me like a
        common "disk crash". This does a bit of damage to a portion of the disk.
        The first step for the slim chance of file recovery: (assuming XP,
        other OS's sometime call this scan disk or chkdsk)
        Hook up to your USB connection
        Open up my computer and you unit may have a drive letter associated
        with it. Right click the drive letter and select 'properties', then
        'tools' from that list.
        Under 'tools' select 'error checking', then select fix all errors.
        There is a slight chance that this is all you will require. You will
        lose some files and some space that you will not recover. If this
        works, it won't hurt to try a 'defragment' later.

        If you complete the above and it does not help, you will have to
        reformat the drive.
        Right click the drive letter, select format.
        Make sure to select Fat32.
        Replace music collection (and maybe RockBox)

        Mike Cocorochio

        --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "gonefromnj"
        <gonefromnj@...> wrote:

        > My JB20 had been acting up a bit lately and before I had a chance to
        > back up everything, it seems to have wiped everything out. When I
        > turn it on to hook up to the computer I get the Jukebox Wait...# on
        > the screen and see only certain folders. On the computer screen,
        > using Explorer, I get only a message saying the drive has not been
        > formatted. I don't even know exactly what happened.
        >
        > I have tried PC Inspector and it managed to recover a few mp3 files,
        > which are the least of my worries at this point. Is there any other
        > method to recover some of what was on there?

      • James Stewart
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 14, 2006
          <gonefromnj@...> wrote:

          > My JB20 had been acting up a bit lately and before I had a chance to
          > back up everything, it seems to have wiped everything out. When I
          > turn it on to hook up to the computer I get the Jukebox Wait...# on
          > the screen and see only certain folders. On the computer screen,
          > using Explorer, I get only a message saying the drive has not been
          > formatted. I don't even know exactly what happened.

          A common problem with these things is that the small PC board that the
          hard drive plugs is also the one that has the battery terminals and
          tends to get flexed a lot due to the spring tension of the battery
          springs. Eventually it tends to break some of the solder connections
          loose on the hard drive connector which typically causes the hard
          drive to intermittently loose power. The repair is easy for anyone
          handy with a soldering iron.

          Of course this may or may not be your problem. If gentle twisting of
          opposite corners of your player tends to really freak it out, then
          this is probably what is going on.

          > I have tried PC Inspector and it managed to recover a few mp3 files,
          > which are the least of my worries at this point. Is there any other
          > method to recover some of what was on there?

          I'm not sure if my little tool will do anything that PC Inspector
          won't do or not, but you could give it a try:

          http://wartstew.homelinux.net/jud

          > Also, what do I need to do now, assuming everything that was on
          > there is a complete loss, to be able to use this again? Reformat?

          Sure. Perhaps after the repair above.

          > And how exactly do I do this? Yes, my technological knowledge is
          > limited, but I'm not an idiot and I can follow directions, so any
          > help will be greatly appreciated.

          Make sure you DON'T format it "NTFS". It seems that once you do this,
          it is very hard to undo the "damage". If you have an old Windows-98
          machine laying around, that is a safe way to do it. Another safe way
          is using my utility disk listed above.

          > I don't want to scrap this "investment" yet.

          I would plan on doing the solder "touch-up" job on it as listed above
          and elsewhere on this forum. I've had to do it on my JB6000 twice
          now, but mine is still running strong and reliably.
        • Hans-Werner Neumann
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 14, 2006
            I had a few cases where content of a hard disk was damaged by disconnecting
            the AJB from a PC without using the safety tool (the little green arrow).
            The same symptoms happened then: AJB "sees" the files, but the PC via USB
            didn't see anything and offers only reformatting.

            AJBs seem to need much less file organisation to be able to play an MP3
            file, while PCs obviously give up much earlier...;o))

            I couldn't save any contents in these cases but after reformatting the disk
            the AJBs worked fine again.

            May be this effect occurs also by broken solder joints at the hdd connection
            print, as James says. I would have a look on it and retouch them.

            Good luck
            Hans-Werner

            > My JB20 had been acting up a bit lately and before I had a chance to
            > back up everything, it seems to have wiped everything out. When I
            > turn it on to hook up to the computer I get the Jukebox Wait...# on
            > the screen and see only certain folders. On the computer screen,
            > using Explorer, I get only a message saying the drive has not been
            > formatted. I don't even know exactly what happened.
            >
            > I have tried PC Inspector and it managed to recover a few mp3 files,
            > which are the least of my worries at this point. Is there any other
            > method to recover some of what was on there?
            >
            > Also, what do I need to do now, assuming everything that was on there
            > is a complete loss, to be able to use this again? Reformat? And how
            > exactly do I do this? Yes, my technological knowledge is limited, but
            > I'm not an idiot and I can follow directions, so any help will be
            > greatly appreciated. I don't want to scrap this "investment" yet.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • gonefromnj
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
              To all three of you who responded so quickly, thanks for the ideas.
              I will keep you posted as I am still working data recovery
              currently. BTW, the link below wouldn't come up for me..."cannot
              find server."

              --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
              <wartstew@...> wrote:

              > --- In archosjukebox6000@yahoogroups.com, "gonefromnj"
              > <gonefromnj@> wrote:
              > >
              > > My JB20 had been acting up a bit lately and before I had a
              chance to
              > > back up everything, it seems to have wiped everything out. When
              > > turn it on to hook up to the computer I get the Jukebox Wait...#
              on
              > > the screen and see only certain folders. On the computer
              screen,
              > > using Explorer, I get only a message saying the drive has not
              been
              > > formatted. I don't even know exactly what happened.
              >
              > A common problem with these things is that the small PC board that
              the
              > hard drive plugs is also the one that has the battery terminals and
              > tends to get flexed a lot due to the spring tension of the battery
              > springs. Eventually it tends to break some of the solder
              connections
              > loose on the hard drive connector which typically causes the hard
              > drive to intermittently loose power. The repair is easy for anyone
              > handy with a soldering iron.
              >
              > Of course this may or may not be your problem. If gentle twisting
              of
              > opposite corners of your player tends to really freak it out, then
              > this is probably what is going on.
              >
              > > I have tried PC Inspector and it managed to recover a few mp3
              files,
              > > which are the least of my worries at this point. Is there any
              other
              > > method to recover some of what was on there?
              >
              > I'm not sure if my little tool will do anything that PC Inspector
              > won't do or not, but you could give it a try:
              >
              > http://wartstew.homelinux.net/jud
              >
              > > Also, what do I need to do now, assuming everything that was on
              > > there is a complete loss, to be able to use this again?
              Reformat?

              > Sure. Perhaps after the repair above.
              >
              > > And how exactly do I do this? Yes, my technological knowledge is
              > > limited, but I'm not an idiot and I can follow directions, so any
              > > help will be greatly appreciated.
              >
              > Make sure you DON'T format it "NTFS". It seems that once you do
              this,
              > it is very hard to undo the "damage". If you have an old Windows-
              98
              > machine laying around, that is a safe way to do it. Another safe
              way
              > is using my utility disk listed above.
              >
              > > I don't want to scrap this "investment" yet.
              >
              > I would plan on doing the solder "touch-up" job on it as listed
              above
              > and elsewhere on this forum. I've had to do it on my JB6000 twice
              > now, but mine is still running strong and reliably.

            • Joseph McLaughlin
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
                You might also think about a larger drive if you are cutting it open any way?
                Joe

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
                  > BTW, the link below wouldn't come up for me..."cannot
                  > find server."

                  I tried it also and it came up. But here is anther one, may be this works
                  for you:

                  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstewart228368/lud/

                  JUD is a very helpful tool to me, I use it often ;-))

                  Hans-Werner